Sheet Metal Workbench

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
shaise

Re: Sheet Metal Workbench

Post by shaise »

The behavior of gaps when adding multiple extends on the same level is unpredictable for now. for 2 symmetrical walls as in the example you might say it is logical to mirror the gaps, but say you have a flat square with 4 extends, what then? in this case you might expect that the gap to be on the right of each wall so you have a circular symmetry.
extends.png
extends.png (26.26 KiB) Viewed 2630 times
You can always eliminate the uncertainty it by extending the 2 walls separately.

shai
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

I just worked for the first time in the Sheet Metal wb and I have to say: it's amazing! Thank you!!!
The model below is a button cell holder 1x CR1216, CR1220 Horizontal, SMD
batter_holder.png
batter_holder.png (448.7 KiB) Viewed 2431 times
Attachments
battery_holder.fcstd
(162.72 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Hello,
I have made several models using the sheet metal tool addon. It has worked great!
Now with the newest version of freecad (0.17, Rev. 13541, win10, 64bit) where I have to introduce an active Body, the bends does not update anymore.

I have tried to re-draw one of the model from scratch but I get an errormessage that I do not understand.
I have created a new active body, a Sketch, a Pad and then I tried to add a bend with the bend tool.

I get the following errormessage:

"Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\sheetmetal\SheetMetalCmd.py", line 770, in execute
selFaceNames = face, MainObject = Main_Object, sketch = fp.Sketch)
File "C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\sheetmetal\SheetMetalCmd.py", line 358, in smBend
reliefD = reliefDList
<type 'exceptions.NameError'>: global name 'reliefDList' is not defined"

Can anyone please help out!

BR

Tomas
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Please retry with the newest 0.18 FreeCAD and an updated SheetMetal workbench.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

chrisb wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:52 am Please retry with the newest 0.18 FreeCAD and an updated SheetMetal workbench.
Hello Chris,
I downloaded the "Current stable version: 0.17" and you suggest to download the 0.18? Ok, lets try it, so lets try it!
Shall I add the sheetmetal workbench via the addon manager or downloading it and decompressing it under the installaion mods folder?
BR
Tomas
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

chrisb wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:52 am Please retry with the newest 0.18 FreeCAD and an updated SheetMetal workbench.
Hello again ChrisB,
You saved me! In this version, I seem to be able to open my models with bends!
Thanks!
BR
Tomas
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

Hello again,
Next thing..
I've immediately run into an issue with the sheetmetal workbench that I hope someone can help out with!
I loaded a model I made in an older version of Freecad and changed a constraint in a sketch that is pad-ed. The pad is then bent with the sheet bend tool. Unfortunately the changed constraint is not updated in the bent shape. Does anyone understand what I am doing wrong?

Hope someone can help out!

Thanks for a great software!
BR
Tomas

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16093 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-18
Hash: 690774c0effe4fd7b8d2b5e2fb2b8c8d145e21ce
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: Swedish/Sweden (sv_SE)
Attachments
bendDoesNotUpdate.FCStd
(41.01 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I guess you are doing nothing wrong, but you should tell us a bit more. Is the uploaded model before or after the change? Which value did/would you change?

As the bend is attached to a face you may have run into a topological naming problem, which basically means that the internal numbering of faces and with it the attachments can change. Search the forum for more explanations
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Your model seems to be from the 0.16 era or before. It's not too complicated so I would recommend to remodel it in a current 0.18 body.
Tomas

Post by Tomas »

chrisb wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:47 pm I guess you are doing nothing wrong, but you should tell us a bit more. Is the uploaded model before or after the change? Which value did/would you change?

As the bend is attached to a face you may have run into a topological naming problem, which basically means that the internal numbering of faces and with it the attachments can change. Search the forum for more explanations
Hi again Chris,
I have many models that are fairly complicated (at least for me...) that has the same issue.
In the uploaded model I have removed allmost everything from the end in the model-tree and all the way back so that the only maintaining is some things before the bend and the bend itself.

If you make Pad002 visible (space key) and then compare it to when you make the Bend visible, you can see four holes that have the wrong location because of that the hole placements were modified in the sketch "Sketch".

BR
Tomas