git access

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: git access

Post by jmaustpc »

Hi everyone
Same here, i.e. it fails

git pull
fatal: unable to connect to git.code.sf.net:
git.code.sf.net[0: 216.34.181.155]: errno=Connection refused

danielfalck wrote:Would this be the final incident to cause us to abandon SF?
wmayer wrote:Should we force it to finally move over to github soon?
Just a thought but I wonder if abandoning them could be dangerous as they may decide FreeCAD is an "abandoned project" and hence take it over. I wonder if it would make any sense if we perhaps
1) move elsewhere but mirror on sourceforge like we have been with Github but in reverse.
or
2) delete everything FreeCAD from Sourceforge but leave an active git repo that simply contains a document directing people to FreeCAD's new location but update it in some insignificant way (e.g add an extra full stop every month) regularly so that the project appears to have activity.

or something else that stops it becoming in their eyes an abandoned project.

Jim
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

2 sounds like a better option. Just update the date (Month / Year) and call it good. Just a simple README.md file with URL's directing visitors to github or wherever and maybe a breef note as to why the repo is no longer there.
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Still without access... I think this is the dead signal of sourceforge...

Let's do it then? For me everything is 100% ready for the switch. Jürgen, Werner and me all 3 have write access to the github repo already.
I propose to follow this plan:

1) We wait for SF to come back online to make sure the latest commit on SF master is the same as the latest commit on Github master (I believe it is, but SF might have gone down just before the sync script ran)
2) Everybody changes his origin URL to github:

Code: Select all

git remote set-url origin git@github.com:FreeCAD/FreeCAD.git
3) We publish this everywhere
4) When me, Werner and Jürgen have confirmed the change, it means we have switched. I'll notice Jürgen in case he didn't see this post.
5) After that we can migrate the other branches still on SF, if needed, but it is not so urgent.

Seems good to you guys? Dan if you want you could then invert your auto script to sync the SF repo from github, but it is maybe a better idea not to, and just close the SF repo, so everybody still using it will get an error...
We'll also need to change the git URL on launchpad...
shoogen
Veteran

Post by shoogen »

yorik wrote:1) We wait for SF to come back online to make sure the latest commit on SF master is the same as the latest commit on Github master
At least the person who committed and pushed should have a local copy and should be able to tell.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

shoogen wrote:At least the person who committed and pushed should have a local copy and should be able to tell.
Yes that should work... I didn't push (or pull :oops: ) anything since a couple of days... Certainly Werner has the latest, up-to-date master. Werner can you check that the latest commit on your local master is on sync with https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/commits/master ?

Another advantage of switching to github is that the auto-update on our mantis tracker will now be instantaneous!
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Yes, it must be me who has committed the latest changes. On github it's git commit 6b3d7b1 with the log message:
+ implement onDelete for Python proxy of view provider
When comparing this with the local SF git repo then the date was: Thu Jul 16 16:13:39 2015 +0200

Since then I made a few more commits which I was not able to push any more. The first of these commits was done on Thu Jul 16 19:06:20 2015 +0200 which already has failed to push. So, it's rather unlikely that somebody else between 16:13 and 19:06 pushed something to SF.

When changing the URL do I have to save my changes first?
shoogen
Veteran

Post by shoogen »

wmayer wrote:When changing the URL do I have to save my changes first?
That should not be necessary. But i would recommend to create a new local branch anyway. ("git branch backup_branch")
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

sgrogan wrote:I've been trying to figure out how to change the mirror on LaunchPad. Anybody got a hint?
Probably you won't be able to do that yourself. Requesting a code import procedure isn't automatic in the first place. Making another request for code import might work but i think the best way to tackle this is to create a question here:

https://answers.launchpad.net/launchpad

Explaining what you would like to do. Change old git repository with new one located on GitHub and provide the new repository location information in the question.
danielfalck

Post by danielfalck »

Ok, I completely shut off my cronjob that was pulling from Source Forge and pushing to github. I did that just in case something weird happens over at Source Forge.
Goodbye Source Forge- it was a good run for awhile...
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

There is a topic on Slashdot about what happened on Slashdot and Sourceforge

http://news.slashdot.org/story/15/07/19 ... lashdot%29

The summary says that their file system became corrupt and they had to restore from backups to get many services working again. So if this restoring from backups effects the FreeCAD git repo then I would assume it will be restored to whatever point it was at when the backup was made ...hence logically it could be mean that a few git commits that had been made previously may now be missing.

Jim