git access

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sgrogan
Veteran

Re: git access

Post by sgrogan »

Thanks Norm!!!
"fight the good fight"
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Wow indeed, there is an old VCS branch still there, not updated since 2012 :)
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

And because it is not owned by the FreeCAD Maintainers team nor the FreeCAD project, that branch does not appear in their lists of branches. Kind of why I forgot about it until I got the email notification about the failure to synchronize today.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

NormandC wrote:So just create a new imported branch from the Github url, delete the old "main" one, then update the build recipes.
Any problem deleting the saucy and quantal recipes? (It seems it's required to delete the main branch)
Thanks again for this help!
EDIT:PPA back in business mirroring GitHub :D
"fight the good fight"
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

yorik wrote:Still without access... I think this is the dead signal of sourceforge...

Let's do it then? For me everything is 100% ready for the switch. Jürgen, Werner and me all 3 have write access to the github repo already.
I propose to follow this plan:

1) We wait for SF to come back online to make sure the latest commit on SF master is the same as the latest commit on Github master (I believe it is, but SF might have gone down just before the sync script ran)
2) Everybody changes his origin URL to github:

Code: Select all

git remote set-url origin git@github.com:FreeCAD/FreeCAD.git
3) We publish this everywhere
4) When me, Werner and Jürgen have confirmed the change, it means we have switched. I'll notice Jürgen in case he didn't see this post.
5) After that we can migrate the other branches still on SF, if needed, but it is not so urgent.

Seems good to you guys? Dan if you want you could then invert your auto script to sync the SF repo from github, but it is maybe a better idea not to, and just close the SF repo, so everybody still using it will get an error...
We'll also need to change the git URL on launchpad...
SF is still not back. Since there are already a couple of commits on github I assume the move is now official.

Note: To push changes to github the "git" protocol doesn't work and the ":" doesn't work for me either because a pull fails. Changing the address to

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD.git
seems to work for me.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

wmayer wrote:SF is still not back. Since there are already a couple of commits on github I assume the move is now official.
It'sback for me US east coast, last commit was http://sourceforge.net/p/free-cad/code/ ... 8d9551be1/
Although if it's not up for you the link probably won't work.

I just checked and

git clone git://git.code.sf.net/p/free-cad/code free-cad-code
works (I had already deleted the repo so I couldn't try pull)

I can help with the cleaning of SourceForge. The dev builds can all be deleted. I think we would want to keep the old windows libpacks?
"fight the good fight"
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

sgrogan wrote:I can help with the cleaning of SourceForge. The dev builds can all be deleted. I think we would want to keep the old windows libpacks?
I have a backup of all release files from SF (21 Gb!), I'll keep them around a little bit... Not sure what we need to keep... but indeed maybe we should remove the installers from SF, to not get the same joke as GIMP. Not sure what we do with the git code?
wmayer wrote: I assume the move is now official.
I assumed it too :) and most people in this thread too, so I guess we can consider it done.
wmayer wrote:Note: To push changes to github the "git" protocol doesn't work and the ":" doesn't work for me either because a pull fails
It works correctly for me.. But indeed there seem to be no difference between the git and https protocols, some of my git stuff is with one, some with the other, independently of write permission...
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

It'sback for me US east coast, last commit was http://sourceforge.net/p/free-cad/code/ ... 8d9551be1/
That's interesting. The link works for me too but when I just enter sourceforge.net/projects/free-cad the link to the code repository doesn't appear.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

wmayer wrote:
That's interesting. The link works for me too but when I just enter sourceforge.net/projects/free-cad the link to the code repository doesn't appear.
Hi guys
I copy pasted Werner's url and could then click on the sf "code" link and it shows the git repo as per normal....this may be a mirroring issue perhaps....since I'm east coast Australia.... well actually east coast time zone but I'm about 300km inland from the coast but since Australia is about 3 and a half thousand km wide that looks on a map like east coast. :)

By the way I just over wrote the remote origin in my git config file in a text editor from the SF URL, with

url = git://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD.git
and it worked for me....that is my "git pull" updated from Github

Jim
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

jmaustpc wrote:By the way I just over wrote the remote origin in my git config file in a text editor from the SF URL, with
url = git://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD.git
and it worked for me....that is my "git pull" updated from Github
My .git/config contains this, and it works too... Probably several ways are supported...

[remote "origin"]
	fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*
	url = git@github.com:FreeCAD/FreeCAD.git