Porting to python3

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Porting to python3

Post by Kunda1 »

greyltc wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:48 pm The AppImage doesn't work for me. I'm using Arch Linux:
Can confirm on FreeCAD_0.18.14929_Conda_Py3Qt5_glibc2.12-x86_64.AppImage

Code: Select all

DISTRIB_ID=ManjaroLinux
DISTRIB_RELEASE=18.0.0-rc
DISTRIB_CODENAME=Illyria
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Manjaro Linux"
Error:

During initialization the error Missing parentheses in call to 'print'. Did you mean print("run import ...")? (<string>, line 108) occurred in /home/beast/.FreeCAD/Mod/geodata/InitGui.py
Please look into the log file for further information
Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
/tmp/.mount_FreeCAVBNKAI/AppRun: line 11:  7229 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) ${HERE}/usr/bin/FreeCAD
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

/home/beast/.FreeCAD/Mod/geodata/InitGui...
please report this to the geodata author. But yes, this should not stop freecad from launching...
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

looo wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:06 pm

/home/beast/.FreeCAD/Mod/geodata/InitGui...
please report this to the geodata author. But yes, this should not stop freecad from launching...
@looo the geodata issue is separate. I'm showing the same issue that @greyltc showed
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

Kunda1 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:08 pm @looo the geodata issue is separate. I'm showing the same issue that @greyltc showed
Ok, that looks a bit more difficult. I have no idea what is causing the issue. One problem could be the system libraries that are still used for freecad and dependencies: eg.: https://github.com/looooo/netgen-feedst ... ements.txt

But I don't think it is a problem of the appimage itself and the crash will also happen if you install freecad via conda directly. But on the other hand I guess there should be some arch users working with conda and never read about any problems with arch.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Has the time come to retire this thread? I feel it has started to give the wrong impression/assumption. That is somebody is porting FreeCAD to Python 3. But that isn't happening anymore. At least not in the same way as for what purpose this thread was made for. That is a few years back Yorik actually did started porting FreeCAD to Python 3. There was a separate branch. It got big. After it needed to get upstreamed. All that happened by developers such as @looo and Werner doing the work.

But now things changed. Nobody is really porting FreeCAD to Python 3 anymore. Now what is left is to address and maintain Py2/Py3/PyX compatibility matrix. This is more of an ongoing process and doesn't have a start/finish. Issue is reported and usually it gets addressed. As any standard issue report does.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

triplus wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:21 pm Has the time come to retire this thread?
+1! There are still some bug-reports in this topic which were not fixed yet and it's very hard to track them. I guess it's best to report these bugs to the bug-tracker.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Note that i tested PPA and Conda based AppImages on Manjaro Linux XFCE Edition (17.1.12) and didn't experience any issues. That is both AppImages started as usual. I remember in the past some reports against PPA based AppImage on Arch Linux were made. But at that time i installed Arch Linux in VM and it worked as expected. Therefore in short such reports aren't necessarily describing a general issue.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Kunda1 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:07 pm
greyltc wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:48 pm The AppImage doesn't work for me. I'm using Arch Linux:
Can confirm on FreeCAD_0.18.14929_Conda_Py3Qt5_glibc2.12-x86_64.AppImage

DISTRIB_ID=ManjaroLinux
DISTRIB_RELEASE=18.0.0-rc
DISTRIB_CODENAME=Illyria
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Manjaro Linux"
Error:

During initialization the error Missing parentheses in call to 'print'. Did you mean print("run import ...")? (<string>, line 108) occurred in /home/beast/.FreeCAD/Mod/geodata/InitGui.py
Please look into the log file for further information
Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
/tmp/.mount_FreeCAVBNKAI/AppRun: line 11:  7229 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) ${HERE}/usr/bin/FreeCAD
triplus wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:24 pm Note that i tested PPA and Conda based AppImages on Manjaro Linux XFCE Edition (17.1.12) and didn't experience any issues. That is both AppImages started as usual. I remember in the past some reports against PPA based AppImage on Arch Linux were made. But at that time i installed Arch Linux in VM and it worked as expected. Therefore in short such reports aren't necessarily describing a general issue.
Looks like the Segfault isn't reproducible anymore on FreeCAD_0.18.14975_Conda_Py3Qt5_glibc2.12-x86_64.AppImage.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Good to hear that and in addition i closed an old Arch Linux related issue report:

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-AppImage/issues/4

As it likely isn't relevant anymore. Should have done that sooner (as i have seen Arch Linux users using the AppImage successfully) but have somehow forgot about the reported issue.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

Good to hear. Arch Linux was the reason why I started with conda-packages. I guess arch users are used to problems like these ; )