Mac pre-release download way behind Windows version

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
peterl94
Veteran

Re: Mac pre-release download way behind Windows version

Post by peterl94 »

Works fine for me as well.
blacey

Post by blacey »

A new Mac OS X 0.16 pre-release that includes all changes from the main FreeCAD repo up through git commit 64a20a8 is now available that should also provide support for 3DConnexion mice.

If anyone has a 3DConnexion mouse, please confirm that your mouse works correctly with this build.

For reference when reporting issues, you can see the last FreeCAD git commit in the About box.
Screen Shot 2016-01-10 at 5.25.55 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-01-10 at 5.25.55 PM.jpg (88.93 KiB) Viewed 4139 times

Code: Select all

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6229 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: tag: 0.16_pre-64a20a8
Hash: 63365ec7661c6353f9dd7820f5c9400f5c6367d0
Python version: 2.7.11
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 3.1.3
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
I plan to continue to make Mac OS X pre-release builds available on this GitHub fork until we merge this into the master FreeCAD repo.

Cheers,
Bruce
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

blacey wrote:A new Mac OS X 0.16 pre-release that includes all changes from the main FreeCAD repo up through git commit 64a20a8 is now available that should also provide support for 3DConnexion mice.

If anyone has a 3DConnexion mouse, please confirm that your mouse works correctly with this build.

For reference when reporting issues, you can see the last FreeCAD git commit in the About box.
I plan to continue to make Mac OS X pre-release builds available on this GitHub fork until we merge this into the master FreeCAD repo.

Cheers,
Bruce
Great job!
I'm using your last release and it works perfectly (haven't tried 3D connexion mouse though), keep it this way.

Thank you very much!
Cheers
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
peterl94
Veteran

Post by peterl94 »

Great! Thanks Bruce! IMO, sgrogan can manually upload these builds to the pre-releases of the FreeCAD repo for now. If you do this, sgrogan, put a note saying it requires Mac OS X 10.9 or greater.

A couple things:
1. It would be convenient to have the app in a folder for people that keep multiple versions in same the location. I think my packaging script installs the app to a fixed folder, but renames it to something version specific before zipping it.
2. With your own github, it works well having a separate prerelease for each build, but I think it might be too much for the official releases page. Plus, I don't know how much storage is available. Seams like having the last couple builds available in case of a regression is a good idea, but I think it would one or all with travis-ci deployment. Sourceforge is still better at this....

Peter
blacey

Post by blacey »

peterl94 wrote:Great! Thanks Bruce! IMO, sgrogan can manually upload these builds to the pre-releases of the FreeCAD repo for now. If you do this, sgrogan, put a note saying it requires Mac OS X 10.9 or greater.

A couple things:
1. It would be convenient to have the app in a folder for people that keep multiple versions in same the location. I think my packaging script installs the app to a fixed folder, but renames it to something version specific before zipping it.
2. With your own github, it works well having a separate prerelease for each build, but I think it might be too much for the official releases page. Plus, I don't know how much storage is available. Seams like having the last couple builds available in case of a regression is a good idea, but I think it would one or all with travis-ci deployment. Sourceforge is still better at this....

Peter
Thanks Peter - I have a few open questions before we merge this with master.
  • What do you think about changing the packaging scripts to be a bit more Mac-like by creating a disk image and copying FreeCAD to the .dmg? If you think this sounds good, I will do it.
  • Longer-term, any interest in adding Sparkle capability to FreeCAD? I think we could host the app cast directly on GitHub and that would provide a PPA-like convenience for Mac Users.
  • Who is the keeper of the .travis.yml for Linux? The reason I ask is that I am working on a unified travis config but would like to collab with the official keeper before submitting any sort of pull request and also work out the deploy approach/credentials for the main FreeCAD repo.
  • Who do I speak with about Mantis? I created an account but never received the verification email to activate it...
  • FYI, Matplotlib is still an odd beast that requires quite a bit of coaxing to get it to place nicely with a relocatable app but we have something working. I would like to improve this before merging with master if possible - perhaps if you have some time, you can take a look at it ;)
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Great job blacey :D :D
PrzemoF has done the work on the Travis up until now.
We need to figure out how the Mac stuff will impact master. Like saso was saying when the dev's push stuff to there private remotes it will trigger Travis and we don't have the extra time that you do. I think this is a good problem to figure out because most of the devs don't have access to Mac so the CI stuff could be valuable.
Depending on how Travis is set-up on FreeCAD/FreeCAD we can figure out how this should work.
In the short term I will add blacey's builds to the releases.
I've been thinking to edit version.h in the build scripts (PPA and win dev snapshots to add something maybe to the branch or build type to indicate the build?)
Again Thanks blacey :D This is a big step forward.
EDIT:https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... g/0.16_pre
"fight the good fight"
ian.rees

Post by ian.rees »

blacey wrote:If anyone has a 3DConnexion mouse, please confirm that your mouse works correctly with this build.
It doesn't detect the 3D mouse on my home Mac, but the computer I use at work is setup differently (I think more like your system), so will take my mouse in and try it there tomorrow. -Ian-
ian.rees

Post by ian.rees »

3D mouse isn't detected by the new build on my work computer either :(.

At any rate, I don't think this should block the CI work on Mac (which is awesome, thanks guys!). Will try to have a closer look at the 3D mouse issue, but I'm probably not going to have much FreeCAD time for a couple weeks. -Ian-
blacey

Post by blacey »

ian.rees wrote:3D mouse isn't detected by the new build on my work computer either :(.

At any rate, I don't think this should block the CI work on Mac (which is awesome, thanks guys!). Will try to have a closer look at the 3D mouse issue, but I'm probably not going to have much FreeCAD time for a couple weeks. -Ian-
Hi Ian, unfortunately I don't have a 3D mouse on my system but the build is created using the following after installing the 3dconnexion frameworks:

Code: Select all

cmake -DFREECAD_USE_EXTERNAL_KDL=ON -DFREECAD_CREATE_MAC_APP=ON -DFREECAD_USE_3DCONNEXION=ON -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release
In my experience, the build fails when using the -DFREECAD_USE_3DCONNEXION=ON cmake argument if the frameworks are not installed. Any ideas?
blacey

Post by blacey »

In addition to providing current Mac OS X builds, we have modified the Mac OS X build process to package the FreeCAD builds as a standard compressed Mac OS X disk image, a convention universally followed by the broader Mac OS X application developer community. Furthermore, using disk images enables users to conveniently retain multiple versions of FreeCAD on their drives making it easy to rollback to a previous build if a recently downloaded build manifests certain issues. Until we automate OS X build deployments on the main FreeCAD repo, @sgrogan will upload OS X builds to the main FreeCAD repo Releases area

The Disk Image naming convention depicts the platform, the git commit count since the last release and the last master git commit short-sha included in the build as shown below:
DownloadedDiskImage.png
DownloadedDiskImage.png (123.1 KiB) Viewed 3965 times
In standard form, the user will open the Disk Image and be presented with a dialog while the image is verified and then mounted:
MountingDiskImage.jpg
MountingDiskImage.jpg (49.52 KiB) Viewed 3965 times
Once verified, the Disk Image will be opened and mounted as shown below. To install the application, the user simply drags the FreeCAD icon over the Applications folder.
MountedBuildDiskImage.jpg
MountedBuildDiskImage.jpg (54.09 KiB) Viewed 3965 times
Finally, the FreeCAD builds are not signed so Mac OS X will warn the user accordingly the first time a user launches a new build. The easiest way to deal with this is to control-click the build the first time you launch a new build and choose Open from the context-sensitive pop-up menu as shown below:
FreeCADOpen.jpg
FreeCADOpen.jpg (128.88 KiB) Viewed 3965 times
When prompted, simply click Open.

Enjoy!