Mac pre-release download way behind Windows version

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
blacey

Re: Mac pre-release download way behind Windows version

Post by blacey »

peterl94 wrote:Hey Bruce,
Have you tried running the build on your machine? I had a conflict with the Qt I have installed and the one in the bundle (both were loaded). I've had this problem before, but I don't remember what I did to fix it.
The latest build runs great on my machine but perhaps that is because I don't use home-brew within the execution search context of my main partition? Can others confirm this issue and either post console log excerpts or even better, how to fix it ;) On the surface, it sounds like a search/loader path issue so it uses the QT version in the bundle. With more details, I will do some googling to see what we can do to fix it.
peterl94 wrote: I would like to see this in master, but it would need to be merged with the linux travis.yml first. By doing this, we would have the env variable TRAVIS_OS_NAME that could be used to run different things depending on the os. It looks like we would need to run a shell script for at least the "before_install" step. If we exported a variable for each step, one script could do almost everything. For the deploy step, we could put condition: "$TRAVIS_OS_NAME = osx" in the on section.
I totally agree that all CI builds should be unified into the main FreeCAD repo on master so the community as a whole can maintain the CI build configurations across platforms... We all have peaks and valleys in our work lives that the larger community could easily mitigate with simple pull requests as needed... If we want more Mac users on FreeCAD, the we must routinely provide up-to-date builds for the platform.

Currently, the Mac OS X builds alone take 50 minutes. The Travis-CI team was nice enough to increase the timeout for my repo to 60 minutes and agreed to do the same for the FreeCAD official repo when needed but I suspect we would need a lot more than 60 minutes to build Linux, Windows and OS X.

I would be happy to take a stab at a unified config as @peterl94 described that would produce the OS X build and provide hooks for the Windows and Linux builds. The os-specifics should be limited to the before_install and before_deploy phases to install the platform-specific dependencies and produce a platform-specific deployment archive.

Unfortunately, yaml does not support #include/import out of the box... OS-specific includes in the .travis.yml would be the way to go (e.g. ./src/Tools/ci/travis/before_install-${TRAVIS_OS_NAME}.yml)... I am really surprised that the travis-ci team hasn't extended their use of yaml to support some sort of include capability given the diverse multi-os and build matrix support they offer... They recommend that complex build steps be factored out into scripts but then you loose the declarative benefit offered by the .travis.yml - IMHO os-specific scripts are less desirable because they are imperative, not declarative. If I were in charge of travis-ci, I would extend the yaml slightly to support includes and conditionals (e.g. where clauses) while maintaining the current declarative simplicity.

So we can either go more imperative with something like ./src/Tools/ci/travis/before_install-${TRAVIS_OS_NAME}.py or try to stay declarative by folding platform-specific conditionals into the .travis.yml... For now, I think the latter may be the way to go; something like this (assuming case statements are supported, if not, we can use if/then/else)...

Code: Select all

-linux
	-windows
	-osx
language: cpp

git
	depth: 800

before_install:
        -case ${TRAVIS_OS_NAME} in
             "linux")
             		<apt-gets>
             		export CMAKE_ARGS=???
             		;;
             "windows")
             		<???>
             		export CMAKE_ARGS=???
             		;;
             "osx")
             		<homebrew port installs>
             		export CMAKE_ARGS="-DFREECAD_USE_EXTERNAL_KDL=ON -DFREECAD_CREATE_MAC_APP=ON"
             		;;
             *)
            		echo "Unsupported os ${TRAVIS_OS_NAME}
            		exit 1
        esac

install:
	mkdir build && cd build && cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ${CMAKE_ARGS} ### CMAKE_ARGS exported during before_install

before_deploy:

deploy:
	????   #### We might be well-suited to use a deploy script provider to tailor multi-platform behavior support.  ./src/Tools/github-deploy.py

after_script:
	'''Send notifications...'''
sgrogan wrote: I think we will need to let Travis-CI create the release and upload the osx artifact then I will need to get the release artifact url and upload the win artifacts there. I'm doing incremental builds so there might be a timing issue.

I think we can set up Travis to only deploy when the push is tagged. That way we could get the CI stuff for every push and pull request too! I think this would be a killer feature.

I still have trouble parsing the JSON response using curl and powershell. So now I am still uploading the artifacts manually. I have some time off work coming up, so hopefully I can solve this. I think if we can get bazaar installed in the linux travis we may be able to trigger the Ubuntu PPA automatically too.
The travis config for OS X deploys automagically to github so this is completely doable. You need two things, one github requires that the release be tagged, hence the versioning logic I included in the travis config to produce the tag and two, skip_cleanup: true, otherwise travis can't find the build artifacts to deploy.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Bruce
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

I have been running multiple builds for some time now, time limit is counted for each build, so that should not be a problem, but as far as I know there is no support of windows on Travis (other projects, for example https://github.com/tpaviot/oce use appveyor for it, but if I am not mistaken there are also some issues with only older versions of windows being supported... but I did not look closer at it).

https://travis-ci.org/sasobadovinac/Fre ... s/96484875
https://github.com/sasobadovinac/FreeCA ... travis.yml

For more complex builds it is indeed recommended to use additional sh files (for example the oce project at the above link also has this, and example of their Travis build https://travis-ci.org/tpaviot/oce/builds/97518846)...

One thing I had on my mind about Travis is that it is indeed quite great, but that FreeCAD is actually not that small (most of the projects running on Travis are much smaller / lighter to build), so maybe we should think a bit not to get to heavy on it. If we start to do builds on every commit and pull request on the master and also if we start to do pull requests over github and we have multi os, compiler, environment builds (all this just from master) and then also have several developers doing their own private Travis builds, this could be quite a lot of builds daily and each takes quite some time...

So yes, Travis and its support staff has indeed been quite great, maybe we should not get over abusive on it :|
brusk

Post by brusk »

I'm getting this running your travis-ci build:

dlopen(/Users/tuk/Downloads/FreeCAD.app/Contents/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/_io.so, 2): Symbol not found: __PyCodecInfo_GetIncrementalDecoder
  Referenced from: /Users/tuk/Downloads/FreeCAD.app/Contents/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/_io.so
  Expected in: flat namespace
 in /Users/tuk/Downloads/FreeCAD.app/Contents/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/_io.so
dlopen(/Users/tuk/Downloads/FreeCAD.app/Contents/lib/SketcherGui.so, 2): Symbol not found: __ZN3Gui14PropertyEditor12PropertyItem4bindERKN3App16ObjectIdentifierE
  Referenced from: /Users/tuk/Downloads/FreeCAD.app/Contents/lib/SketcherGui.so
  Expected in: /usr/local/FreeCAD.app/Contents/lib/libFreeCADGui.dylib
 in /Users/tuk/Downloads/FreeCAD.app/Contents/lib/SketcherGui.so
Looks like the app is not relocatable.

Edit: I got that when selecting the Part Design workbench.
peterl94
Veteran

Post by peterl94 »

I had the same problem. For some reason it loads some things from the original install path (/usr/local/FreeCAD.app) if they exist, and so you get symbol conflicts.

For anyone that has the same environment as travis-ci, I solved the Qt conflict problem. The python path had the old python prefix before the bundle one, and so PySide was imported from outside of the bundle, which pulls in the installed Qt too. The solution is to create a file named usercustomize.py in FreeCAD.app/Contents/lib/python2.7/site-packages containing the following code. (It has to be usercustomize, because again, the homebrew python comes first in the search path)

import sys
import os
sys.path = [p for p in sys.path if p.startswith(sys.prefix) or p.startswith(os.getcwd())]
brusk, can you try that before you move /usr/local/FreeCAD.app to see if it solves both problems?
Last edited by peterl94 on Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
blacey

Post by blacey »

brusk wrote:I'm getting this running your travis-ci build:

dlopen(/Users/tuk/Downloads/FreeCAD.app/Contents/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/_io.so, 2): Symbol not found: __PyCodecInfo_GetIncrementalDecoder
  Referenced from: /Users/tuk/Downloads/FreeCAD.app/Contents/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/_io.so
  Expected in: flat namespace
 in /Users/tuk/Downloads/FreeCAD.app/Contents/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/_io.so
dlopen(/Users/tuk/Downloads/FreeCAD.app/Contents/lib/SketcherGui.so, 2): Symbol not found: __ZN3Gui14PropertyEditor12PropertyItem4bindERKN3App16ObjectIdentifierE
  Referenced from: /Users/tuk/Downloads/FreeCAD.app/Contents/lib/SketcherGui.so
  Expected in: /usr/local/FreeCAD.app/Contents/lib/libFreeCADGui.dylib
 in /Users/tuk/Downloads/FreeCAD.app/Contents/lib/SketcherGui.so
Looks like the app is not relocatable.

Edit: I got that when selecting the Part Design workbench.
@brusk, hmmm, that is strange because the app should be relocatable. I have downloaded the app and run it on both an iMac and a MacBook running El Capitan (neither has home-brew installed) and it works fine. I can move the app around and it still works...

I know this may sound non-sensicle, but can you confirm that you are running version 0.16_pre-d6920a0 by launching the app and checking the about box?

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6094 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: tag: 0.16_pre-d6920a0
Hash: 262894a400cb40a75d1b38e5c0a8b5fb8d97c6a5
Python version: 2.7.11
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 3.1.3
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
Also, make sure that you remove or rename any prior ~/Downloads/FreeCAD.app instances in case zip merges an archive into an existing directory.

If you confirm that you are running 0.16_pre-d6920a0, please provide the results for the the following command:

find /Users/tuk/Downloads/FreeCAD.app \( -name 'SketcherGui.so' -o -name 'libFreeCADGui.dylib' -o -name '_io.so' \) -exec otool -L {} \;
brusk

Post by brusk »

Am running:

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6094 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: tag: 0.16_pre-d6920a0
Hash: 262894a400cb40a75d1b38e5c0a8b5fb8d97c6a5
Python version: 2.7.11
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 3.1.3
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
Strongly the problem went away since I moved it back to ~/Downloads :roll: . Would really think I'm going crazy if @peterl94 hadn't had the same problem…

$ find /Users/tuk/Downloads/FreeCAD.app \( -name 'SketcherGui.so' -o -name 'libFreeCADGui.dylib' -o -name '_io.so' \) -exec otool -L {} \;
/Users/tuk/Downloads/FreeCAD.app/Contents/lib/libFreeCADGui.dylib:
	libFreeCADGui.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
	@rpath/libFreeCADApp.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
	@rpath/libCoin.60.dylib (compatibility version 62.0.0, current version 62.3.0)
	@rpath/QtOpenGL (compatibility version 4.8.0, current version 4.8.7)
	@rpath/QtSvg (compatibility version 4.8.0, current version 4.8.7)
	@rpath/QtWebKit (compatibility version 4.9.0, current version 4.9.4)
	@rpath/QtXmlPatterns (compatibility version 4.8.0, current version 4.8.7)
	@rpath/QtGui (compatibility version 4.8.0, current version 4.8.7)
	@rpath/QtXml (compatibility version 4.8.0, current version 4.8.7)
	@rpath/QtNetwork (compatibility version 4.8.0, current version 4.8.7)
	@rpath/QtCore (compatibility version 4.8.0, current version 4.8.7)
	@rpath/libboost_filesystem-mt.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
	@rpath/libboost_program_options-mt.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
	@rpath/libboost_regex-mt.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
	@rpath/libboost_signals-mt.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
	@rpath/libboost_system-mt.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
	@rpath/libboost_thread-mt.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/OpenGL (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
	@rpath/libspnav.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
	@rpath/libX11.6.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.0.0)
	@rpath/libshiboken-python2.7.1.2.dylib (compatibility version 1.2.0, current version 1.2.2)
	@rpath/libpyside-python2.7.1.2.dylib (compatibility version 1.2.0, current version 1.2.2)
	@rpath/libFreeCADBase.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
	@rpath/Python (compatibility version 2.7.0, current version 2.7.0)
	@rpath/libxerces-c-3.1.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
	/usr/lib/libz.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.2.5)
	/usr/lib/libc++.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 120.0.0)
	/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1197.1.1)
/Users/tuk/Downloads/FreeCAD.app/Contents/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/_io.so:
	/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1197.1.1)
/Users/tuk/Downloads/FreeCAD.app/Contents/lib/SketcherGui.so:
	SketcherGui.so (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
	@rpath/Sketcher.so (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
	@rpath/PartGui.so (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
	@rpath/libFreeCADGui.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
	@rpath/libCoin.60.dylib (compatibility version 62.0.0, current version 62.3.0)
	@rpath/QtOpenGL (compatibility version 4.8.0, current version 4.8.7)
	@rpath/QtSvg (compatibility version 4.8.0, current version 4.8.7)
	@rpath/QtWebKit (compatibility version 4.9.0, current version 4.9.4)
	@rpath/QtXmlPatterns (compatibility version 4.8.0, current version 4.8.7)
	@rpath/QtGui (compatibility version 4.8.0, current version 4.8.7)
	@rpath/QtNetwork (compatibility version 4.8.0, current version 4.8.7)
	@rpath/libspnav.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
	@rpath/libX11.6.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.0.0)
	@rpath/libshiboken-python2.7.1.2.dylib (compatibility version 1.2.0, current version 1.2.2)
	@rpath/libpyside-python2.7.1.2.dylib (compatibility version 1.2.0, current version 1.2.2)
	@rpath/Part.so (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
	@rpath/libFreeCADApp.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
	@rpath/QtXml (compatibility version 4.8.0, current version 4.8.7)
	@rpath/libFreeCADBase.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
	@rpath/Python (compatibility version 2.7.0, current version 2.7.0)
	@rpath/libxerces-c-3.1.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
	@rpath/QtCore (compatibility version 4.8.0, current version 4.8.7)
	@rpath/libboost_filesystem-mt.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
	@rpath/libboost_program_options-mt.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
	@rpath/libboost_regex-mt.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
	@rpath/libboost_signals-mt.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
	@rpath/libboost_system-mt.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
	@rpath/libboost_thread-mt.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
	/usr/lib/libz.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.2.5)
	@rpath/libTKIGES.10.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.0.0)
	@rpath/libTKSTL.10.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.0.0)
	@rpath/libTKBin.10.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.0.0)
	@rpath/libTKCAF.10.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.0.0)
	@rpath/libTKV3d.10.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.0.0)
	@rpath/libTKMesh.10.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.0.0)
	@rpath/libTKService.10.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.0.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/Cocoa.framework/Versions/A/Cocoa (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 20.0.0)
	@rpath/libfreeimage.dylib (compatibility version 3.0.0, current version 3.17.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/AGL.framework/Versions/A/AGL (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
	/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/OpenGL (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
	@rpath/libTKBinL.10.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.0.0)
	@rpath/libTKLCAF.10.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.0.0)
	@rpath/libTKCDF.10.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.0.0)
	@rpath/libTKOffset.10.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.0.0)
	@rpath/libTKFillet.10.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.0.0)
	@rpath/libTKSTEP.10.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.0.0)
	@rpath/libTKSTEP209.10.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.0.0)
	@rpath/libTKSTEPAttr.10.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.0.0)
	@rpath/libTKSTEPBase.10.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.0.0)
	@rpath/libTKXSBase.10.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.0.0)
	@rpath/libTKHLR.10.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.0.0)
	@rpath/libTKFeat.10.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.0.0)
	@rpath/libTKBool.10.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.0.0)
	@rpath/libTKShHealing.10.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.0.0)
	@rpath/libTKBO.10.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.0.0)
	@rpath/libTKPrim.10.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.0.0)
	@rpath/libTKTopAlgo.10.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.0.0)
	@rpath/libTKGeomAlgo.10.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.0.0)
	@rpath/libTKBRep.10.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.0.0)
	@rpath/libTKGeomBase.10.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.0.0)
	@rpath/libTKG3d.10.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.0.0)
	@rpath/libTKG2d.10.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.0.0)
	@rpath/libTKMath.10.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.0.0)
	@rpath/libTKernel.10.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.0.0)
	@rpath/libtbbmalloc.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
	@rpath/libtbb.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0, current version 0.0.0)
	@rpath/libfreetype.6.dylib (compatibility version 19.0.0, current version 19.0.0)
	/usr/lib/libc++.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 120.0.0)

peterl94
Veteran

Post by peterl94 »

@brusk, so do you have PySide installed in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages? And it worked with no Qt problems?

@blacey, I noticed libspnav is in the bundle. That is a linux thing, and it pulls in X11. We would need to find someway to install the 3dconnexion framework in order to get 3dconnexion support.

Also, I don't know if multi-line commands in the .yml would work. I've only seen it done like saso did, or by calling a shell script.
blacey

Post by blacey »

@brusk, the library search paths for the libs in your traceback all look good... @rpath means that the app is relocatable and there aren't any absolute paths that are not standard OS X system libraries... Also, it is complaining about missing symbols so it is finding the libs but referencing symbols that aren't in the libs...

Which version of OS X are you running? You can check by running:

sw_vers
Also, what happens when you run the following command?

find ~/Downloads/FreeCAD.app \( -name 'SketcherGui.so' -o -name 'libFreeCADGui.dylib' -o -name '_io.so' \) -exec symbols {} \; | grep -e __PyCodecInfo_GetIncrementalDecoder -e __ZN3Gui14PropertyEditor12PropertyItem4bindERKN3App16ObjectIdentifierE
My suspicion is an environment difference/nuance - checkout this Stack Overflow Post. Any correlation to your execution context?
blacey

Post by blacey »

peterl94 wrote:@brusk, so do you have PySide installed in /usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages? And it worked with no Qt problems?

@blacey, I noticed libspnav is in the bundle. That is a linux thing, and it pulls in X11. We would need to find someway to install the 3dconnexion framework in order to get 3dconnexion support.

Also, I don't know if multi-line commands in the .yml would work. I've only seen it done like saso did, or by calling a shell script.
@peterl94, I will remove libspnav... CMAKE complained about not finding libspnav so I added it because it is available as a home-brew port... IMHO, CMAKE should be configured to not look for libspnav on any platform on linux if it is specific to linux.

3DConnexion is a commercial product so I am not sure how we "would install it"... According to this weak linking post that discusses how to provide support assuming the driver is located in the 3rd party system path /Library/Frameworks/3DconnexionClient.framework. Weak linking probably relies upon the objective-c runtime, I am not familiar with a C++ corollary or approach but I would think if implemented correctly in FreeCAD, it would be able to find the library in the standard /Library path. Ideas?

I assumed multi-line commands would work with proper use of semicolons but will need to try it...
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Wow! You guys are amazing.
As perterl94 has mentioned I think we should do this in stages.
1. combine osx and linux in the travis.yml. No depolyment, I think this can get into master.
@blacey
Do you think we can get this portion under the Travis time limit?
We can then then work on triggering the builds in sync, or we could just deploy osx and I can backfill the windows stuff manually. The linux PPA needs not be part of this (I jumped the gun)
Travis doesn't support Win, as soso, has pointed out. But most of the win stuff is scripted (Thanks Peter!) so we can work around this short term.
"fight the good fight"