Mac pre-release download way behind Windows version

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
blacey

Re: Mac pre-release download way behind Windows version

Post by blacey »

NormandC wrote:
japie wrote:No luck with svg maybe someone else can try, added my gimp base file and corrected my typo...
Gimp is a raster image (bitmap) editor, it cannot export to a vector graphics format which SVG is. Inkscape (open source) should be used instead, or Corel Draw, Adobe Illustrator (both proprietary)...
Here is an Inkscape svg version - look ok with you guys?
freecad-doc.svg
(33.46 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
If anyone wants to clean this up or make revisions, I will incorporate them into the pull request Saturday AM PDT.
Attachments
freecad.icns.zip
(287.11 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
japie

Post by japie »

blacey wrote:The goal is to use as single, cross-platform document icon
I don't think that is possible since all 3 platforms have different guidelines regarding design however you could use the same base.

For OSX the guidelines are pretty stable and the theming only changes every decade or so, last change was Yoshemite.
Guidelines are specifying the use of multiple PNG files inside the ICNS with 1024x1024 being the largest one, nothing is written down about the use of text in the document icon all tough it seems most apps are using it. (leaving it away would make live simpler but on the other hand since OSX is hiding extensions for known file types it could be handy to put them in the icon after all)
https://developer.apple.com/library/mac ... 7-CH87-SW1

On GNU desktop guidelines are from freedesktop.org and are pretty clear, XPM, PNG or SVG may all be used however PNG is preferred.
Don't think I ever seen text on a freedesktop.org icon.
https://specifications.freedesktop.org/ ... atest.html

Windows are clean...
ian.rees

Post by ian.rees »

blacey - Looks good to me. With the gradients, it might be necessary to re-draw to render a nice looking icon at low resolutions. Big improvement over what we now have anyways!

japie - I think what blacey meant was more about icons being the same design than literally the same file applying to every OS, and SVG is a reasonable way to accomplish that. From what I've seen, the text in icons on MacOS is mainly to differentiate documents that would otherwise have very similar icons, but likely open with different programs (eg different text-type documents). -Ian-
blacey

Post by blacey »

ian.rees wrote:japie - I think what blacey meant was more about icons being the same design than literally the same file applying to every OS, and SVG is a reasonable way to accomplish that.
Correct - the concept was create an svg version of the document icon that serves as the source image for the platform-specific icons.

@japie, @ian.rees, @peterl94 and @sgrogan, I have created a new-document-icon branch on my repo fork. It would be great if you two can do a quick peer review before I submit it as a pull request.

Code: Select all

git show --name-only new-document-icons
commit 2bac7d24f05e1d2bd833050a8924fadbb9dd02cc
Author: Bruce B. Lacey
Date:   Sat Mar 19 09:13:02 2016 -0700

Add high-resolution variant of FreeCAD document icon resources for all platforms

We did not have document icons defined for OS X and the existing legacy
    icons were low resolution.  For this change, we have created a
    freecad-doc.svg icon that serves as the basis for generating
    platform-specific FreeCAD document icon sets for the supported
    platforms.  Extended the OS X bundle definition to include the
    high-resolution document icon set and regenerated the existing 64x64
    Gui/Icon/freecad-doc.png from the new svg variant.

src/Gui/Icons/freecad-doc.png
src/Gui/Icons/freecad-doc.svg
src/MacAppBundle/FreeCAD.app/Contents/Info.plist
src/MacAppBundle/FreeCAD.app/Contents/Resources/freecad-doc.icns
Thanks,
Bruce
japie

Post by japie »

Looking good!
blacey

Post by blacey »

japie wrote:Looking good!
Pull Request created. All others, feel free to comment in pull request directly if you see any issues.
ian.rees

Post by ian.rees »

Icons and patch look good to me, though I can't seem to get my mac to actually change the icons it shows for FreeCAD documents... Seems to also not work for chrome, so I suspect there's something else going on. -Ian-
blacey

Post by blacey »

ian.rees wrote:Icons and patch look good to me, though I can't seem to get my mac to actually change the icons it shows for FreeCAD documents... Seems to also not work for chrome, so I suspect there's something else going on. -Ian-
Thanks for the feedback. Did you try the following after patching the app?

Code: Select all

touch /Applications/FreeCAD.app
or wherever the patched app bundle is located.

If that doesn't work, you may want to try clearing your icon cache
ian.rees

Post by ian.rees »

Ahh, so the filename is case sensitive - should be FCStd not fcstd in the PList. -Ian-
blacey

Post by blacey »

ian.rees wrote:Ahh, so the filename is case sensitive - should be FCStd not fcstd in the PList. -Ian-
Are you running with a case-sensitive HFS+ file system? I actually wondered about that...