Mac pre-release download way behind Windows version

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
brusk

Re: Mac pre-release download way behind Windows version

Post by brusk »

jmaustpc wrote:
brusk wrote:Hm. I'll have to time it next time I build :) .
Yes, me too! :)

I used to compile from scratch a lot, as I use to test many developer's branches, however for a while now I have been and still will be restricted to my mobile Internet access and have to keep data down to very low levels or pay a lot, its also slow etc. etc.
Ok, it took 18 minutes and 19 seconds for configure + compile from scratch on my dual core 2.2 GHz i7. I must have thought about an incremental build before 8-) .
peterl94
Veteran

Post by peterl94 »

brusk wrote:So is the version of matplotlib pinned or is it ok to ship the current version?
Any version that works is fine by me.

I tried setting up an os x travis build, but ran into some issues that I didn't have the time to look into then. Not related to the travis environment, so I think it could work.
tomwj

Post by tomwj »

Hi,

I'm also using FreeCAD on a Mac so would be happy to help with testing any releases.

I've been trying to compile it too but have not managed it yet.

I followed the guide here http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/?title=CompileOnMac

CMake parameters

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
cd ./build
cmake \
-debug--output \
-DBUILD_ROBOT="0" \
-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE="Debug" \
-DFREECAD_USE_EXTERNAL_PIVY="1" \
-DFREETYPE_INCLUDE_DIR_freetype2="/usr/local/include/freetype2" \
-DPYTHON_LIBRARY="/usr/local/cellar/python" \
-DHOMEBREW_PREFIX="1" \
../

-- Could NOT find Spnav (missing:  SPNAV_LIBRARY SPNAV_INCLUDE_DIR) 
-- libshiboken built for Release
-- Found PySide Tools: /usr/local/bin/pyside-uic, /usr/local/bin/pyside-rcc
-- -- matplotlib-1.1.1 has been found.
-- Platform is 64-bit, set -D_OCC64
-- Build type: Debug
git
/Users/tomjennings/src/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-git/src/Build/Version.h written
-- Note: Doxygen docs will look better with graphviz's dot installed.
-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/Users/tomjennings/src/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-git/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
See also "/Users/tomjennings/src/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-git/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log".
Full output - https://gist.github.com/tomwj/a49a5d6fb3260ca1a086

My understanding is Spnav and Doxygen aren't critical to the build. It's also looking at the stock python, but I tried pointing it to a newer version too. I've read through to two log files generated but wasn't sure what was causing the build to fail.

Any idea's about what I should try next?
peterl94
Veteran

Post by peterl94 »

Hi tomwj,

I imagine the error comes from this -DPYTHON_LIBRARY="/usr/local/cellar/python". Remove that, and it should find python automatically. If for some reason it doesn't, you need to give it the path to the actual python library, not a folder. On my system it is: /usr/local/Cellar/python/2.7.10_1/Frameworks/Python.framework/Python

Peter
brusk

Post by brusk »

tomwj wrote:Hi,

I'm also using FreeCAD on a Mac so would be happy to help with testing any releases.

I've been trying to compile it too but have not managed it yet.

Any idea's about what I should try next?
Great, another Mac user :) !

I compile with the following line

$ cmake -DBUILD_ROBOT="0" -FREECAD_USE_EXTERNAL_PIVY="1" FREETYPE_INCLUDE_DIR_freetype2="/usr/local/include/freetype2" ../src && make -j3
and I'm using Homebrew's Python. Try to install that maybe. Then you'll also get the newest Python (2.x).
brusk

Post by brusk »

Ok, I've uploaded a build here: https://github.com/tiktuk/FreeCAD/relea ... _pre_r6010 :) . I just downgraded to the latest compatible Matplotlib version (1.4.3).
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

brusk wrote:Ok, I've uploaded a build here: https://github.com/tiktuk/FreeCAD/relea ... _pre_r6010 :) . I just downgraded to the latest compatible Matplotlib version (1.4.3).
Great :D
@brusk maybe you could make a post in feature announcements so we get more testers. Thanks for this.
"fight the good fight"
brusk

Post by brusk »

sgrogan wrote:
brusk wrote:Ok, I've uploaded a build here: https://github.com/tiktuk/FreeCAD/relea ... _pre_r6010 :) . I just downgraded to the latest compatible Matplotlib version (1.4.3).
Great :D
@brusk maybe you could make a post in feature announcements so we get more testers. Thanks for this.
Sure, will do :) .
blacey

Post by blacey »

@brusk, thanks a ton for trying to provide more recent builds. I ran into a cut issue that only exists in the outdated Mac OS X build, so I built FreeCAD from the latest git source this morning. In doing so, I believe I found a solution to what I think is blocking @peterl94's travis ci builds and sent him a PM with the following suggested solution:

export PYTHONUSERBASE=$(python-config --prefix)
pip install --user matplotlib
Basically, you define the user base path and then include the --user switch to pip. YThis will resolve the issue of matplotlib referencing TK in /System/Library. I saw that you downgraded matplotlib but this approach works with the latest home-brew matplotlib. (NOTE: I just realized that @peterl94 has configured Travis-CI to verify pull requests so I forked his git repo, made the change, pushed and opened a pull request that Travis CI is running now).

That said, I have one outstanding issue where I am not able to build libarea from either the official repo or clones where others have worked to clean up the cmake configuration a bit. Everything compiles but it fails with unresolved external boost references when linking. Do you have any notes handy with how to build libarea on mac os x that you can share here?
brusk

Post by brusk »

blacey wrote:@brusk, thanks a ton for trying to provide more recent builds. I ran into a cut issue that only exists in the outdated Mac OS X build, so I built FreeCAD from the latest git source this morning. In doing so, I believe I found a solution to what I think is blocking @peterl94's travis ci builds and sent him a PM with the following suggested solution:

export PYTHONUSERBASE=$(python-config --prefix)
pip install --user matplotlib
Basically, you define the user base path and then include the --user switch to pip. This will resolve the issue of matplotlib referencing TK in /System/Library. I saw that you downgraded matplotlib but this approach works with the latest home-brew matplotlib. (NOTE: I just realized that @peterl94 has configured Travis-CI to verify pull requests so I forked his git repo, made the change, pushed and opened a pull request that Travis CI is running now).
Cool, I didn't have that problem though. My problem was that NavigationToolbar2QTAgg is renamed to NavigationToolbar2Q in the latest matplotlib. Don't you get an error if you

import Plot
Plot.figure("TrigonometricTest")
in FreeCAD's Python Console?
blacey wrote: That said, I have one outstanding issue where I am not able to build libarea from either the official repo or clones where others have worked to clean up the cmake configuration a bit. Everything compiles but it fails with unresolved external boost references when linking. Do you have any notes handy with how to build libarea on mac os x that you can share here?
I needed to:

$ brew install boost-python
Did you do that? Need to get wiki permissions so I can add it to the wiki…