Mac pre-release download way behind Windows version

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ian.rees

Re: Mac pre-release download way behind Windows version

Post by ian.rees »

Not sure about the release timeline.

CI builds for MacPorts might be nice, but I don't know how much value it's really going to add. MacPorts seems to change a lot more slowly than Homebrew lately. Is there any reason we'd want to offer separate DMGs for MacPorts/Homebrew generated nightly builds? -Ian-
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

blacey wrote:Got it - that is easily doable. If I can take a day or two, I could also include a unified .travis.yml but comment out the os: osx so the unified .travis.yml still only build linux but all of the capability would be there... The advantage would be that any mac enthusiast or other interested party could simply uncomment the os: osx to make OS X builds but the devs wouldn't suddenly encounter OS X travis timeouts until we find a solution for that side of the equation... It would also provide a way to get feedback sooner than later.
+1 good strategy.
blacey wrote: What is the 0.16 timeframe? Said another way, do I still have a couple of days to complete the aforementioned?
Until we see a 0.16 release branch we have time, but we don't won't to ask the devs to backport.
This work doesn't have to be intimately tied to the release in my mind. What's the oldest OSX that could be supported for a static release, I know 10.9 for the Travis builds, but what about a one time local build?
"fight the good fight"
blacey

Post by blacey »

sgrogan wrote:What's the oldest OSX that could be supported for a static release, I know 10.9 for the Travis builds, but what about a one time local build?
@ian.rees and @sgrogan, I plan to open a pull request, ideally tonight, for just the os-x packaging deltas as Ian requested and hold off on the .travis.yml changes for now because I am up to my neck with work stuff and knee deep in honey do's. The mac app packaging is low-risk as it has been tested over numerous travis-ci builds, won't impact the devs and, as Ian requested, enables a one-time 0.16 build from master that will have a commit # consistent with other platform builds on master.

As for the oldest build, I tried to bring up a 10.6 VM but was thwarted by Apple's licensing issues on 10.6 within VMs - they only allow it if the host is OS X server. In theory, once the OS X app packaging pull request is merged into the master repo, anyone running a version of OS X older than 10.9 should be able to make a 0.16 build on master.

I will continue my work on the unified travis config as a distinct and separate pull request so I have ample time to sufficiently test port caching (I think it should work) and allow time to solicit feedback by starting a "unified travis config" thread to hopefully get broader buy-in from the devs to avoid surprises.

Sound OK with y'all?
blacey

Post by blacey »

blacey wrote:@ian.rees and @sgrogan, I plan to open a pull request, ideally tonight, for just the os-x packaging deltas as Ian requested and hold off on the .travis.yml changes for now
Ok, pull request https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/113 & viewtopic.php?f=17&t=14590
ian.rees

Post by ian.rees »

Thanks much! Looks great to me. -Ian-
blacey

Post by blacey »

@yorik merged the OS X packaging pull request into master today. With everything in master except the OS X travis config under development, I have re-written the travis-ci-hb CI git branch history to reduce the git commit count down to master+1 for the os x builds (normally I would not rewrite git history to this extent but this is a transitory CI branch). So at this time we see the following:

Commits on Master - commit count 6587, SHA 9af03d9
Screen Shot 2016-03-08 at 10.19.39 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-03-08 at 10.19.39 PM.jpg (47.44 KiB) Viewed 1977 times
Release Archive Naming - not the git commit count and the SHA for the last master commit included in build
Screen Shot 2016-03-08 at 10.20.25 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-03-08 at 10.20.25 PM.jpg (24.76 KiB) Viewed 1977 times
About box
Screen Shot 2016-03-08 at 10.20.55 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-03-08 at 10.20.55 PM.jpg (65.55 KiB) Viewed 1977 times
This is a temporary measure until we finish the unified travis config and fold it directly into master (in work).

So for now, OS X build#-1 is the same as the revision number on other platforms. For example, OS X build revision 6588 is the same as the Linux or Windows build revision 6587 (i.e. 6588-1).

I still advocate moving towards an explicit semantic versioning scheme that eliminates the possibility of confusion like the above.

@sgrogan, thanks again for manually deploying the OS X builds to the main FreeCAD repo.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

blacey wrote:I still advocate moving towards an explicit semantic versioning scheme that eliminates the possibility of confusion like the above.
Many others have also advocated for such a "numbered" version, that is why we are using it now (git itself doesn't have that, it's a "hack" we are doing). I can't remember exactly what the reasons were, but I think it started from problems with the ubuntu package.
japie

Post by japie »

Hai guys, thanks for your work on osx builds even double clicking a file opens freecad now great!
One small cosmetic thing: is it possible to add an icon to documents in further release? (one small step for men but a huge step for mankind ;-)
blacey

Post by blacey »

japie wrote: is it possible to add an icon to documents in further release?
Sure. I see we have a document thumbnail icon but need higher resolutions to support current Macs. I have asked @yorik if he has one in his stash ;) If we can come up with an appropriate icon, your request is easily done.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

blacey wrote:I have asked @yorik if he has one in his stash ;)
No, unfortunately I think that one was a quick hack... We need a proper SVG one now I guess