PySide2 vs PyQt5

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
f3nix

Re: PySide2 vs PyQt5

Post by f3nix »

triplus wrote: OK therefore the fourth option is:
  • Migrate to Qt 5 and use PySide2
In theory this is what we are after. But in reality what are the downsides as i do imagine there are some? Lack of PySide2 packages in mayor Linux distributions do seem to indicate PySide2 currently isn't "finished"?
Yep. But we are getting there slowly :) More contributors could definitely help.

Cheers,
Mateusz
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Yes that i guess will be the main challenge for this year or two (will PySide2 gain traction). I feel there is realistic possibility it could.

If that for whatever reason won't happen PyQt5 will i guess represent challenge to current FreeCAD no GPL licence policy.
f3nix

Post by f3nix »

Hi,
this is not official but I've read that The Qt Company is interested in adding PySide2 to their portfolio. Official announcement is supposed to be made in near future.

I'm curious how it will end up!

Cheers,
Mateusz
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Yes that could be the needed push if that would happen. Nokia did something like that with Pyside.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

From FreeCAD perspective what i guess will represent a challenge. After FreeCAD 0.16 is released i guess there will be a pressure to enable/add Qt 5 support. Mac would benefit it and there are some project on hold as Qt 5 is needed. Therefore i guess realistically some users will start to use Qt 5 before Python support will be ready (not only for the default modules). PPA for current releases will probably never have Qt 5 builds.

Anyway we will get there in the end. ;)
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Out of interest i investigated a bit on how will PPA (LTS releases) landscape likely look like after FreeCAD 0.16. That is if all the changes we talked about in the past will happen "soon":

Ubuntu 12.04:

Due to C++11 pressure likely Daily PPA won't be available anymore.

Ubuntu 14.04:

Qt 5.2 + PySide2 from PPA.

Ubuntu 16.04:

Qt 5.5 + PySide2 from PPA

I found this PPA for PySide2 therefore i guess we could do the same for now:

https://launchpad.net/~thopiekar/+archi ... pyside-git

I am guessing that on Ubuntu 16.04 FreeCAD Daily PPA we could have PySide2 Daily Builds enabled. That way we could test upstream changes as they happen and after i guess a year it will be easier to determine if PySide2 will work for us or not.
f3nix

Post by f3nix »

Hi,
it is official now: https://groups.google.com/d/topic/pysid ... discussion

Cheers,
Mateusz
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Nice.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Today I stumbled across Spyder, an IDE for Python. This project uses a simple wrapper library QtPy to hide implementation details of PyQt and PySide. This way it's possible to either use a PySide installation or PyQt4 or PyQt5. At the moment it seems PySide2 is not yet supported.

So, we could move all Python workbenches that directly use PySide to QtPy and then it doesn't matter if actually PyQt or PySide is used.

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/QtPy