appimage

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: appimage

Post by NormandC »

Before uploading the change to the gitpackaging repo, I'm not clear on the AppImage process. Does it still require to work on the existing PPA package?
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

NormandC wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:11 pm Before uploading the change to the gitpackaging repo, I'm not clear on the AppImage process. Does it still require to work on the existing PPA package?
Yes. But there will be a backport to build once this is fix is made.
"fight the good fight"
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Okay, we have to make a new backport release anyway, there have been 4 more backported commits since revision 13515. :?

14 backported bug fixes since the release 17 days ago, for 0.16 it took us more than a year to get half as many :D
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

sgrogan wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:06 pm Yes. But there will be a backport to build once this is fix is made.
I noticed you just changed the download page links for the Win and Mac versions, please don't start a freecad-stable PPA build as long as I haven't committed the desktop file fix to the gitpackaging branch.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

NormandC wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:17 am I noticed you just changed the download page links for the Win and Mac versions, please don't start a freecad-stable PPA build as long as I haven't committed the desktop file fix to the gitpackaging branch.
Daily is building, I will not touch stable today :)

FreeCAD moves fast :)
"fight the good fight"
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I updated the gitpackaging:release branch with the desktop file fix, and updated gitversioning:releases/FreeCAD-0-17 branch, then I requested a new build for the freecad-stable PPA. In a few hours, (if the builds are successful) it will be possible to update the 0.17 Release AppImage so all platforms will be equal.

EDIT: the freecad-0.17.13519 packages are now online.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

@triplus, are the recipes ready?
Can you give me a re-fresher for building locally?
Do we need to change deploy from 0.18 to 0.18_pre on https://travis-ci.org/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-A ... tification?
"fight the good fight"
blacey

Post by blacey »

FYI, to change the GitHub deployment destination, set the DEPLOY_RELEASE variable in the Travis repo/build settings to 0.18_pre (it is currently set to 0.17_pre). Happy to set it if desired.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

blacey wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:28 pm FYI, to change the GitHub deployment destination, set the DEPLOY_RELEASE variable in the Travis repo/build settings to 0.18_pre (it is currently set to 0.17_pre). Happy to set it if desired.
Sure, but how to do this in the future? I thought this was controlled by the .yaml and your helper scripts?
"fight the good fight"
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

sgrogan wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:13 pm @triplus, are the recipes ready?
I wanted to make the PR today but it will have to wait until tomorrow. Everything is/was more or less working fine except one thing. And that is when enabling desktop integration launcher icon just didn't want to show. Therefore generic icon is/was used instead. I won't investigate this further as i gave it the best shot today. But will mention it tomorrow in the PR. Maybe i am missing something obvious or there is a bug involved.
Can you give me a re-fresher for building locally?
Tomorrow i will create a PR and provide instructions. As for Travis i don't see a straightforward way to fully automate backport releases for now. As the problem is on how to determine when to build it. Therefore i won't investigate this further for now as it only takes a few minutes to build it locally and this isn't something that gets done frequently.
Do we need to change deploy from 0.18 to 0.18_pre on https://travis-ci.org/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-A ... tification?
Doesn't FreeCAD 0.18 AppImage deploy correctly?
blacey wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:28 pm FYI, to change the GitHub deployment destination, set the DEPLOY_RELEASE variable in the Travis repo/build settings to 0.18_pre (it is currently set to 0.17_pre). Happy to set it if desired.
I changed it a few days back and was under impression it deploys correctly. Where in my opinion it would be worth to invest some effort (and you are experienced in this area) is to try to automate the managing of version.h with the help of Travis:

https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/deployment/launchpad/
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 20#p227320