appimage

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sgrogan
Veteran

Re: appimage

Post by sgrogan »

triplus wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:42 pm I wanted to make the PR today but it will have to wait until tomorrow. Everything is/was more or less working fine except one thing. And that is when enabling desktop integration launcher icon just didn't want to show. Therefore generic icon is/was used instead. I won't investigate this further as i gave it the best shot today. But will mention it tomorrow in the PR. Maybe i am missing something obvious or there is a bug involved.
"It's done when it's done"
triplus wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:42 pm Tomorrow i will create a PR and provide instructions. As for Travis i don't see a straightforward way to fully automate backport releases for now. As the problem is on how to determine when to build it. Therefore i won't investigate this further for now as it only takes a few minutes to build it locally and this isn't something that gets done frequently.
Agreed
triplus wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:42 pm Doesn't FreeCAD 0.18 AppImage deploy correctly?
No, see bblacey's post above. I don't understand the process at the moment.
triplus wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:42 pm I changed it a few days back and was under impression it deploys correctly. Where in my opinion it would be worth to invest some effort (and you are experienced in this area) is to try to automate the managing of version.h with the help of Travis:

https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/deployment/launchpad/
I think this link may be GOLD :)
"fight the good fight"
blacey

Post by blacey »

The Travis Config uses the DEPLOY_RELEASE environment variable on this line... You can either set it in the Travis Build Settings (preferred) or define it somewhere here in the Travis config (discouraged). I have changed the DEPLOY_RELEASE variable in the Travis Build Settings and restarted build 347.

See Build Log
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

blacey wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:54 pm The Travis Config uses the DEPLOY_RELEASE environment variable on this line... You can either set it in the Travis Build Settings (preferred) or define it somewhere here in the Travis config (discouraged). I have changed the DEPLOY_RELEASE variable in the Travis Build Settings and restarted build 347.
Got it, thanks!
"fight the good fight"
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

OK i created the pull request here:

https://github.com/AppImage/AppImages/pull/328

After the proposed changes will get merged the following procedure:

Code: Select all

mkdir AppImage
cd AppImage
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/AppImage/AppImages/master/pkg2appimage
bash ./pkg2appimage FreeCAD-0.16
bash ./pkg2appimage FreeCAD
bash ./pkg2appimage FreeCAD-Daily
Should when completed produce 3 AppImages in the ./out folder. All 3 AppImages should:
  • Ask for desktop integration when run
  • Provide importable SciPy, NumPy and Matplotlib modules
  • Have LAPACK and BLAS fix applied
  • Shouldn't have libfontconfig issue
Desktop integration for FreeCAD (0.17) AppImage (when enabled) provides things like launcher, icon and file association support (without using the appimaged). Therefore after the PR will get merged FreeCAD 0.17 backport release AppImage can be provided ASAP. As for FreeCAD-0.16 backport release. Icon is still missing ATM. When enabling the desktop integration. The same happens with FreeCAD-Daily. I reported in the PR what i believe is contributing to the issue. Best to wait with FreeCAD-0.16 AppImage until things settle first. As for Travis i will change the recipe (as it got renamed) after PR is merged.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

triplus wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:05 pm OK i created the pull request here:
Thanks Triplus!

If it offers any satisfaction:
FreeCAD_0.17.13509.glibc2.17-x86_64.AppImage (222.93 MiB) - downloaded 7,750 times. Last updated on 2018-04-07

This is close to the Win x64 installer. So there is most definitely an audience for your work.
"fight the good fight"
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

triplus wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:05 pm After the proposed changes will get merged the following procedure:
Can't be much easier than this.
I left 0.17.13509 up for the moment.
Feedback welcome.
"fight the good fight"
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Good to hear AppImage is being used in such numbers and thanks for the info. I feel that things did pan out nicely and all the efforts from different contributors in different areas invested in the past added to the fact FreeCAD users on Linux now have access to FreeCAD in rather straightforward and seamless way. There isn't much redundancy involved ATM. Whoever invests effort in packaging area. That propagates nicely (Conda/Debian/PPA/AppImage ...).

P.S. From the answer on PR point of view. I feel that FreeCAD 0.16 AppImage can be updated when you will have the time. As likely the desktop integration icon related issue mentioned earlier won't get a fix anytime soon. If desired and as a workaround end user can modify the launcher manually (after installed) to get the icon support working.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Hi @sgrogan.

Give it a few days and if no related issues will be reported against FreeCAD Daily:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28519

Updating the stable/legacy AppImage to work again with latest CalculiX should likely make sense.

Code: Select all

mkdir AppImage
cd AppImage
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/AppImage/AppImages/master/pkg2appimage
bash ./pkg2appimage FreeCAD-0.16
bash ./pkg2appimage FreeCAD
Thanks.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

triplus wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 4:57 pm Give it a few days and if no related issues will be reported against FreeCAD Daily:
I actually updated the stable AppImage a few days ago.
"fight the good fight"
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

sgrogan wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 11:21 pm I actually updated the stable AppImage a few days ago.
Yeah but unfortunately it doesn't work with CalculiX. That is if CalculiX on target system was compiled against libgomp that provides `GOMP_4.0' support. Therefore i was thinking more in the direction if PR will get merged and no reported issues against Daily AppImage will happen in the following days. That would indicate libgomp issue fix is sufficient for now. And therefore at some point updating the Stable/Legacy AppImage to include the fix should make sense.