appimage

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sgrogan
Veteran

Re: appimage

Post by sgrogan »

triplus wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:55 pm Will do (on Saturday).
Thanks, no rush,but your FreeCAD's expert.
I also want to add some "Call for testing PY3", I will do this, but if you have some ideas I'm open. This is not my strong suit.
"fight the good fight"
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Hi @sgrogan

Weekend didn't end up being like a weekend at all. Anyway i was thinking something like this could be a good start:

Code: Select all

#### Note on Python 3 

Please test Python 3 (Conda) builds in your FreeCAD daily routine and [report issues](https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12534).

#### AppImage (delta) updates

[Download](https://github.com/AppImage/AppImageUpdate/releases) AppImageUpdate (GUI or the command line version). To perform an update:

```bash
# Using GUI
chmod +x ./AppImageUpdate.AppImage
./AppImageUpdate.AppImage ./FreeCAD.AppImage
# Command line
chmod +x ./appimageupdatetool.AppImage
./appimageupdatetool.AppImage ./FreeCAD.AppImage
```
P.S. I used more simple and minimal approach for now. It can be further fine tuned (based on the potential feedback gathered) in the future.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

triplus wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:25 am P.S. I used more simple and minimal approach for now. It can be further fine tuned (based on the potential feedback gathered) in the future.
I forgot to mention I added this: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... g/0.18_pre

Could I further request that you add the freecad-doc package to the release yaml. On Win, we package the docs for the release, but not the "dailys"
No rush obviously.
"fight the good fight"
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

To include the documentation in the (stable/daily) AppImage? To be honest i am not all that sure (due to the size bump involved). But if general consensus will be gathered to include it (and there is no better alternative) it can happen.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

triplus wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:05 am To include the documentation in the (stable/daily) AppImage?
Only the stable release. The release can be bigger (the differenceit is significant), that's what I am doing on Win. Can you do delta's for the next release, for the backports?
"fight the good fight"
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

sgrogan wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:10 am Only the stable release. The release can be bigger (the differenceit is significant), that's what I am doing on Win. Can you do delta's for the next release, for the backports?
Sure. Update information can be added for the next stable release. And i guess documentation. If that is desired and the size isn't the problem. Best if we do all of this once FreeCAD 0.18 gets released? As likely still a few months until that happens.

P.S. I just noticed that today Travis made the 500 AppImage build.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

triplus wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:30 am Best if we do all of this once FreeCAD 0.18 gets released? As likely still a few months until that happens.
This is what I am thinking too.
triplus wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:30 am P.S. I just noticed that today Travis made the 500 AppImage build.
You've made much progress with this over this dev cycle. It's heavily used as evident in the forums, so its worth the effort. Thanks :D
"fight the good fight"
Pedja

Post by Pedja »

(Appologies if this was answered before, my forum search didn't find anything)

Why are FEM solvers not shipped with the Appimage? Is it a licencing issue?
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Pedja wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:35 pm Why are FEM solvers not shipped with the Appimage?
Primarily to keep the package size as small as possible.
FreeCAD doesn't link directly to Calculix or GMesh for example, but rather calls the executable in a sub-process.
This means that the packages can be installed outside the AppImage. Then in FEM preferences the paths to the executables can be set.
"fight the good fight"
Pedja

Post by Pedja »

sgrogan wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:03 pm Primarily to keep the package size as small as possible.
FreeCAD doesn't link directly to Calculix or GMesh for example, but rather calls the executable in a sub-process.
This means that the packages can be installed outside the AppImage. Then in FEM preferences the paths to the executables can be set.
Well, damn :)
Binary ccx is broken on my system (system fortran is too new for its taste), and I couldn't get libspooles to compile.

I understand that you want to keep Appimage size reasonable, but isn't one of the points of Appimage to
be as self-contained as possible?
Calculix, GMesh and other tools might be external, not part of the FreeCAD proper, but FreeCAD does rely on them,
so they should be shipped with it, imho.
Well, at least some of them.

TBH, I don't really need FEM, FCad has more then enough toys to play with, I was just curious.
Thanks for the answer, and good luck with 0.18.x, I played a little with it and it looks it is going to be another fine release.