appimage

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: appimage

Post by NormandC »

Kunda1 wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:58 pm Can we de-prioritize the 'obsolete' non-netgen/occt appimage in the pre-release list?
AFAIK it's an alphabetically ordered file list, and it cannot be changed.

Who the heck uses 0.17.9747 anyway? There are other ways to produce FEM meshes. I've been advocating for the deletion of that obsolete AppImage for ages. It just confuses users who pick it because it's listed first.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I will wait a bit longer. For the situation around legacy, daily and stable PPA to settle. Before testing and updating the corresponding AppImage recipes:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 62#p226662
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

When using other AppImages made by probono (QCad I think), at first launch a dialog asks if the user wants to create a desktop launcher. Do you think it would be something desirable to add to the FC AppImages?
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

It can be explored.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

triplus wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:28 pm I will wait a bit longer. For the situation around legacy, daily and stable PPA to settle.
We need to update the https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-AppI ... travis.yml to deploy to 0.18_pre
Is it enough to update the .yml. I don't see where the _pre part of 0.18_pre comes from.
"fight the good fight"
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

sgrogan wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:20 pm We need to update the https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-AppI ... travis.yml to deploy to 0.18_pre
I bumped the release number and it looks like that did it. New AppImage build was deployed to 0.18_pre (existing one was removed). I am guessing you had to manually move the daily AppImage from 0.17_pre to 0.18_pre? Are macOS builds deploying correctly to 0.18_pre? On a bit unrelated note. Keeping 0.17_pre around makes much sense?
I don't see where the _pre part of 0.18_pre comes from.
I didn't investigate the logic in depth but here is where the GitHub API is being used to extract the release:

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-port ... helpers.sh
triplus wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:28 pm I will wait a bit longer. For the situation around legacy, daily and stable PPA to settle.
Therefore i see you added FreeCAD 0.17 AppImage and FreeCAD 0.18 daily AppImage should now be up an running. Are there any more plans for the PPA before things settle?

P.S. This weekend or in the next week i will have more free time to look into AppImage recipe situation as discussed. On a side note (as i remembered reading something about this in another thread). Should i keep single instance policy in launcher for AppImage?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

triplus wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:10 pm Should i keep single instance policy in launcher for AppImage?
I am starting to see the interest in allowing multiple instances. The old freecad-0.16.6712 package allowed multiple instances. I could have both freecad-daily and freecad opened at the same time. With the freecad-0.16 package from the new freecad-legacy PPA I now have to start it from the CLI rather than from its desktop launcher, if freecad-daily is already opened.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

triplus wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:10 pm Are macOS builds deploying correctly to 0.18_pre?
No and the 0.17 backports deployed to 0.18_pre :o
triplus wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:10 pm Are there any more plans for the PPA before things settle?
There are already 2 back-port commits to releases/FreeCAD-0-17 and a pending pull request.
triplus wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:10 pm P.S. This weekend or in the next week i will have more free time to look into AppImage recipe situation as discussed. On a side note (as i remembered reading something about this in another thread). Should i keep single instance policy in launcher for AppImage?
Great. Maybe we should take a poll? It seemed like a desirable feature when we implemented it on the PPA, but now maybe not so much as NormandC points out?

0.17_pre will be deleted, I'll give it another day or two to let the deployment issues get worked out (In case things start going there I can manually copy them like I did for the appimge before your fix)
"fight the good fight"
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

sgrogan wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:56 pm No and the 0.17 backports deployed to 0.18_pre :o
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/1404

This should likely start deploying macOS builds to 0.18_pre. As for backport macOS releases. How does that work regarding creating the build?

P.S. As for single instance. Therefore i read it as due to multiple FreeCAD versions from PPA and (combinations) AppImages. Single instance policy isn't all that convenient anymore? And it might make sense to disable it on PPA altogether for now?
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

triplus wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:06 pm This should likely start deploying macOS builds to 0.18_pre. As for backport macOS releases. How does that work regarding creating the build?
Thanks this worked for OSX 0.18_pre, it pruned the 0.17 backport (but I downloaded it before that happened :) ) I don't know how it works. In the past on OSX the backports auto-magically appeared on the "stable" release assets. Maybe @bblacey can explain. It would be sweet if we could make that work with the appimage too.

Anyway, thanks to your work I've deleted the 0.17_pre.

I haven't tested, do you know if offline doc's are included in the appimage?
"fight the good fight"