appimage

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: appimage

Post by Kunda1 »

since webm is not being enabled on wiki for the time being...
I just made a very compressed gif that I will add to the appimage wiki page.
appimageupdate-optimized.gif
appimageupdate-optimized.gif (389.8 KiB) Viewed 2620 times
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Kunda1 wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:26 pm since webm is not being enabled on wiki for the time being...
I can try to knock that out this afternoon, do you happen to know if there was an issue created or discussion on this previously I can take a look at in case anything important was mentioned?
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

kkremitzki wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:24 pm I can try to knock that out this afternoon, do you happen to know if there was an issue created or discussion on this previously I can take a look at in case anything important was mentioned?
Haven't found anything yet. If I do, will post here.
Thanks mate!
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Kunda1 wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:26 pm I just made a very compressed gif that I will add to the appimage wiki page.
What wiki page are you speaking of? There is no AppImage page on our wiki.

Please ask yourself this: what is it that this animated gif will tell that actual text wouldn't ? I've said it enough times now: an animated GIF that lasts more than 10 seconds is basically unwatchable because you don't know when it starts, you cannot pause it, etc.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

NormandC wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:26 pm What wiki page are you speaking of? There is no AppImage page on our wiki.
Hmm... i could of swore i thought there was an appImage page on the wiki... <head scratch>
I guess if there isn't one it needs to be made with an explanation of what it is....or it can be a collapsed <div> on the Download page?
NormandC wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:26 pm Please ask yourself this: what is it that this animated gif will tell that actual text wouldn't ?
To me it gives people the confidence/incentive to use the update methodology, it "demystifies" it if you will. That's what it does for me at least and I'm for sure not alone.
NormandC wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:26 pm I've said it enough times now: an animated GIF that lasts more than 10 seconds is basically unwatchable because you don't know when it starts, you cannot pause it, etc.
This is true but to be fair I tried to offer a webm version at first and then when I made this gif I attempted to shorten it but have not succeeded in doing so (when I try to edit out frames in GIMP, it will crashes). So in the meantime I felt that at least something is good to have publicly. If you notice the gif does have a timer per se at the bottom (it shows the download progress) so for people that get disoriented by the lack of this, there is that :geek:
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

2 issues:
  • When using the gui AppImageUpdate, it complains that AppImage is not signed. This is a minor thing for veteran users but folks without any knowledge of what an appImage is might find this a dealbreaker.
    AppImageUpdate-not-signed warning.png
    AppImageUpdate-not-signed warning.png (51.77 KiB) Viewed 2553 times
  • Can we submit our FC appimages to https://appimage.github.io/apps/ ?
  • Is there a way we can make static links that point to the most up-to-date stable and development appImages ? This would really come in handy on both the Download and Appimage page.
Edit: I added 3rd point even though i mention it 2 posts from here. Just to keep everything tidy.
Last edited by Kunda1 on Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Kunda1 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:18 pm To me it gives people the confidence/incentive to use the update methodology, it "demystifies" it if you will. That's what it does for me at least and I'm for sure not alone.
Funny, to me it's just a wall of meaningless characters scrolling on a dark background.

On the opposite, that last screenshot you posted of a GUI dialog labelled "Updating FreeCAD_0" tells me all I need to know... in one single static image.

Once again, what you're trying to convey with an animated GIF would be much more efficiently communicated with detailed textual instructions, along with commands formatted with the code tag. With the added bonus that people can actually copy-paste the command in their console - try doing that with an animated GIF.

And, I'll remind you not for the first time: please think about other languages. A proper page with textual instructions can be translated. An animated GIF can't.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

NormandC wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:21 pm On the opposite, that last screenshot you posted of a GUI dialog labelled "Updating FreeCAD_0" tells me all I need to know... in one single static image.
There seems to be a bug with appimage dialogs not resizing and it truncates the title of the dialog. I opened a ticket upstream: https://github.com/AppImage/AppImageUpdate/issues/106

Normand, I hear you. You make valid points. I have different perspectives and perceptual biases then yourself and that's OK. I've started working on Appimage. I won't include the gif per your request.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

@sgrogan is there a way we can make static links that point to the most up-to-date stable and development appImages ?
This would really come in handy on both the Download and Appimage page.
sgrogan wrote:
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Kunda1 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:23 pm is there a way we can make static links that point to the most up-to-date stable and development appImages ?
You may be making this too difficult. A static link to the download page(s) with a small amount of text at the top explaining what the various versions are for should be sufficient.

Clearly there should be emphasis on new user friendliness, but any user of FreeCAD must be at least a little bit comfortable with simple instructions.

The actual versions can change daily as required, but the links to the download page remain stable.

Gene