Ubuntu snap: A quick try

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
vejmarie

Re: Ubuntu snap: A quick try

Post by vejmarie »

I am currently updating all of this. It shall be online before the end of the week. Sorry for the inconvenience and lack of bandwidth
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

And what of the ownership? Are you still going to be the sole owner of the next package, with no way for the community to update it if you become unavailable again?
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

vejmarie wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:06 am I am currently updating all of this. It shall be online before the end of the week. Sorry for the inconvenience and lack of bandwidth
Great.

P.S. Take your time as FreeCAD 0.18 wasn't released yet.
vejmarie

Post by vejmarie »

NormandC wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:09 am And what of the ownership? Are you still going to be the sole owner of the next package, with no way for the community to update it if you become unavailable again?
Hi NormandC, that is not my intend, but I need to get in touch with the snapcraft people, as I do not know how to build up a team. I believe right now the only option is to share some encryption key between us to get access to my account, but I am not a big fan of this approach.

I will for sure explain how to build the snap, and automatized all of this.

vejmarie
Last edited by vejmarie on Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vejmarie

Post by vejmarie »

triplus wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:55 pm
vejmarie wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:06 am I am currently updating all of this. It shall be online before the end of the week. Sorry for the inconvenience and lack of bandwidth
Great.

P.S. Take your time as FreeCAD 0.18 wasn't released yet.
I can build a 0.17 and release within a channel nightly build of 0.18 ;). They enhanced a lot snapcraft.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

vejmarie wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:06 pm I can build a 0.17 and release within a channel nightly build of 0.18 ;). They enhanced a lot snapcraft.
That would be nice. I am guessing it can be fully automated? Would it make sense to involve Launchpad, as Snap packages can be built on Launchpad? Did you manage to figure out on how to persuade sandboxing, to not get in the way, when trying to use external FreeCAD modules?

P.S. Indeed they are pushing rather strongly:
Auto.png
Auto.png (94.58 KiB) Viewed 1276 times
https://snapcraft.io/build

Such solution could basically bring dev FreeCAD Snap packages to Linux ecosystem, build on each commit.
vejmarie

Post by vejmarie »

Yes it can be automatized, and this is on what I work on currently. hopefully it will work by the end of the week, but it will depends on my spare time
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

vejmarie wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:49 pm Yes it can be automatized, and this is on what I work on currently. hopefully it will work by the end of the week, but it will depends on my spare time
Great. Fingers crossed and keep us posted.
vejmarie

Post by vejmarie »

Ok, first step, I built a snap of 0.18 and pushed it to the channel=beta. For the one under linux can you give it a try
snap install --channel=beta freecad
It shall install the snap on your machine and you can execute freecad just by running freecad command
They changed a lot of things on the plug side etc ... It is built on top of Xenial, the interfaces plugs is broken on Bionic or I still do not understand how it works.
I am currently building an updated 0.17 version which shall replace the release part of the published snap which is outdated

Then I will put in place the nightly build, and check how we could use the proper dependencies. Currently it is building most of them, which I think is easier to maintain as a first try. I know I am wrong, give me additional time to fix that. Will try to do it by the end of the week.
vejmarie

Post by vejmarie »

0.17 snap update is online
This is based on 13509 commit (official initial commit). I can build an update, but need to know the commit id string 0258808ccb6ba3bd5ea9312f79cd023f1a8671b7 (this is 13509) of the latest one as to rebuild it.

I will automatize nightly build tonight, and push some patches to the tree to provide you my build scripts which are seating currently into the vagrant directory of FreeCAD

vejmarie