Ubuntu snap: A quick try

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: Ubuntu snap: A quick try

Post by triplus »

Will test both tomorrow.
vejmarie

Post by vejmarie »

Some stats regarding the snap.

triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

OK i tested on Disco Dingo and can confirm opening Ubuntu Software now offers FreeCAD 0.17 from stable and FreeCAD 0.18 from beta channel. I first installed FreeCAD 0.17 and i could launch it after directly from Ubuntu Software. In general it works. I tested Addon manager and installed one of the modules. Installation worked and after FreeCAD restart the module worked as expected. I uninstalled FreeCAD 0.17, enabled the beta channel and installed FreeCAD 0.18. All from Ubuntu Software. Launching FreeCAD 0.18 was successful and quick testing didn't indicate any issues.

In home folder there is a snap folder. Config files and modules are added there. I left the permission to access home folder enabled. Launcher is currently missing, and system default theme isn't being used. Quick search indicated that they didn't yet solve the issue of supporting desktop themes in the first place. Therefore not much we can do to resolve this for now.

Anyway, all in all nice improvements and thanks @vejmarie for investing the effort and updating the snap packages.
vejmarie

Post by vejmarie »

thanks for the deep feedbacks, and another time sorry for such long delays. My past year has just been a mess. I am automatizing the 0.18 build and the beta channel shall be updated probably one time a week of everybody is ok ? Doing it at each PR seems to me perhaps too much, I was expecting to launch a cron or something like that.
Regarding the theming I am discussing with the snap people to see what could be done.

By the way this is just great to see that stuff working ;). I can "check" that on my list and go to my next freecad task next week ;).
I will push for a PR to update the build, like that everybody can have a look to it. For your ref I add Kurt as a snap maintainer, if you want to be part of it let me know, and just send me an email address to add you to the list through a PM.

vejmarie

ps: looks like the 10k weekly user will be able to enjoy the update ;)
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

vejmarie wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:18 pm For your ref I add Kurt as a snap maintainer, if you want to be part of it let me know, and just send me an email address to add you to the list through a PM.
I can maybe be a second backup. What does it require?, Can we do it from the PPA? I'm all for the most distribution channels for FreeCAD, but we must be able to "turn it off" if we don't have the resources to maintain it. The internet lives forever, and "dead" packages must be avoided.
vejmarie wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:18 pm ps: looks like the 10k weekly user will be able to enjoy the update ;)
This always makes it seem worth it :)
"fight the good fight"
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Snaps will be required to continue supporting Ubuntu 16.04 until its 2021 end of life so it's good this situation is improving.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

vejmarie wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:18 pm thanks for the deep feedbacks, and another time sorry for such long delays.
You're welcome. The truth is just about anybody can create a FreeCAD snap package on Snapcraft. If snaps really take off, likely we will be seeing more of FreeCAD related ones in the future. And likely we won't have all that much say about the state they are in. Your effort i guess is considered official one and:
ps: looks like the 10k weekly user will be able to enjoy the update ;)
This numbers will likely only grow. Therefore it's nice to see the package is in good condition.
My past year has just been a mess. I am automatizing the 0.18 build and the beta channel shall be updated probably one time a week of everybody is ok ?
Sounds good.
For your ref I add Kurt as a snap maintainer, if you want to be part of it let me know, and just send me an email address to add you to the list through a PM.
The main problem i guess was nobody else had maintainership powers. ATM likely you know best on how to make it all work and @kkremitzki and @sgrogan i guess should now gain more administrative privileges. That i guess should suffice for now.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

vejmarie wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:33 am I released the snap, and got about 7k users in less than a week. Looks like the migration is moving fast. Hopefully no complain at the present time
vejmarie's reply was posted in the Release 0.18 topic but I thought what I wanted to ask would be best put here.

I just installed the snap package from the Ubuntu store, it is great that it is available. I noticed some issues, the first ones being about the dependencies :

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16093 (Git)
Build type: Unknown
Branch: master
Hash: 690774c0effe4fd7b8d2b5e2fb2b8c8d145e21ce
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.0.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)

The OCC version it's built with is nearly 3-year old, on the PPA we've been using 7.3.0 for quite a while thanks to Kurt's work. Python 2 and Qt4 are another matter, if the snap has to be compatible with older Ubuntu versions I suppose?

There does not seem to be a desktop launcher. I can't find it from the GNOME Applications menu, I have to launch it from the Ubuntu store.

When I open the snap, it does not comply with the desktop theme, which from my quick search remains an issue with snaps made by the community (I wonder why Canonical's snaps comply with the desktop theme without issue though). But the real deal breaker is that even my mouse pointer is different, when in FreeCAD's snap it's black instead of white. :|

The general feel is that when I'm using the FreeCAD snap, I'm brought back 15 years into the past when desktop themes on Linux were much less refined... To be blunt, damn it's ugly! I know we can use FreeCAD's packaged stylesheets, but new users are not aware of that, also the stylesheets do not style the ugly mouse icons.

Just tried stylesheets, toolbar handles are not themed...

FC018_snap_stylesheet_toolbar_handles.png
FC018_snap_stylesheet_toolbar_handles.png (36.43 KiB) Viewed 1768 times

I also noticed an issue with the Navigation Indicator tooltip not showing icons:

FC018_Snap_NavIndic_missing_icons.png
FC018_Snap_NavIndic_missing_icons.png (14.56 KiB) Viewed 1768 times

Installing addons from the Addon Manager seems to work, to anyone interested, the hidden .FreeCAD folder where macros and modules are installed is in $HOME/snap/freecad/current/ which also contains a .config folder that holds system.cfg, user.cfg and FreeCAD/freecad.conf.
vejmarie

Post by vejmarie »

Hello,

I am working on upgrading OCCT and Python as well as Qt, but snap build is a "tricky/unfunny" build thing (and it takes time). Regarding the look and feel there is unfortunatly not that much I can do as long as Canonical doesn't fix that.

Roughly the current build is a port of 0.17 to 0.18. Regarding the UI, that is the same issues than before. I kept python and so on as I built it on top of Xenial (I now there are newer version of the lib on Xenial), and initially I wanted to build on top of Bionic but snap core doesn't load automatically when you are stick with Bionic 18 which provides a core18 but doesn't support Desktop interfaces.

Let me dig a little bit more futher, to enhance all of that. I made that build because I received request from end users to get it initially done.

vejmarie
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I do understand that you have no control over the theming issue, it is maddening all the same, and personally it puts me off snaps completely.

On the other hand, addressing the Nav Indicator missing icons should be possible.