Untraslated strings for stable release 0.12

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wmayer
Founder

Re: Untraslated strings for stable release 0.12

Post by wmayer »

- The 4 links under Start a new project don't show the text with picture at the extreme right. If language is set to English, no problem.
It seems that the start page so far is only translated into French and this is the only language where it doesn't work. So, there must be a problem to call the python script for translated text.
Also, the language selector in the Preferences dialog still shows languages in English, except for... English, shown as "Anglais"!
Look at the changes here: http://free-cad.svn.sourceforge.net/vie ... ision=5166
For any reason the languages have been removed from being translated.
carlod

Post by carlod »

wmayer wrote:
Also, the language selector in the Preferences dialog still shows languages in English, except for... English, shown as "Anglais"!
Look at the changes here: http://free-cad.svn.sourceforge.net/vie ... ision=5166
I think is linked to my suggestion at the first post
carlod wrote:IMO, the languages in the dropdown list in preferences should not be translated. Like this an user can select his mother tongue without know its translation in other languages.
But it works if the list is not all in english but like: English, Italiano, Español, Deutsch, 中文, Magyar, Norsk, 日本語
(excuse me if I write a language not correctly..)
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Yes, strange! Don't really know why, this should be taken care of by Qt...
It seems to be a Qt thing. When I run the script updatets.py with Qt 4.5.3 it re-collects the languages.
But it works if the list is not all in english but like: English, Italiano, Español, Deutsch, 中文, Magyar, Norsk, 日本語
(excuse me if I write a language not correctly..)
The problem at the moment is that all languages are in English regardless of what languages is chosen.

In case it's really related to Qt we must hard-code the language name and its translation. Then we can follow carlod's suggestion.
carlod

Post by carlod »

The easy way IMO is to manage the languages names as a simple string instead of a translatable string.
Like a missed translation.. :D
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

wmayer wrote:Look at the changes here: http://free-cad.svn.sourceforge.net/vie ... ision=5166
The "English" word is inside a tr() function: Gui::Translator::tr("English")
While other languages are inside a QT_TR_NOOP function: QT_TR_NOOP("French")
Maybe the lastest version of Qt stopped collecting these? But it is not marked as obsolete in the Qt docs. And in the Draft module that QT_TR_NOOP function is also used, and there it is collected fine (but with pylupdate instead of lupdate). Go figure :roll:
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Or it may happen that the .pro file we create on-the-fly doesn't include the Translator.cpp file. In the meantime I tested with Ubuntu 11.10 and it doesn't collect the language strings.
carlod

Post by carlod »

I have found two obsolete strings in sketcher ts file that refer to sketchflat that must be removed:
"Sketchflat sketch"
"Create a new sketchflat sketch by starting externel editor"

typo to be corrected:
"Select atleast two lines from the sketch."
carlod

Post by carlod »

Just move up this topic to remember that this issue in the language list is not yet fixed.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Removing it manually from the .ts files might not solve the problem permanently because with the next merge with crowdin they could be re-inserted. The proper way is to use the option "-no-obsolete" for the lupdate utility. So, the next time Yorik pushes the updated .ts files to crowdin we should use this option to get rid of all "dead" translation text.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

wmayer wrote:Removing it manually from the .ts files might not solve the problem permanently because with the next merge with crowdin they could be re-inserted. The proper way is to use the option "-no-obsolete" for the lupdate utility. So, the next time Yorik pushes the updated .ts files to crowdin we should use this option to get rid of all "dead" translation text.
Good idea, I'll do that ASAP...