PartDesign Hole feature

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
eivindkvedalen

PartDesign Hole feature

Post by eivindkvedalen »

Rebased to current master at https://github.com/eivindkv/FreeCAD/tree/FeatureHole

Holes are defined by one or more circle in a sketch. The sizes of the circles are ignored, and hole parameters are completely controlled by properties; the circles are only used for positioning.

Most likely not complete, and feedback is always appreciated.

Eivind
sgrogan
Veteran

Re: PartDesign Hole feature

Post by sgrogan »

First Impression...WOW :shock:
There is a lot here. Is the thread information somehow passed to TechDraw for example? Haven't tested this yet. too many properties to explore.
This is going to be extremely useful!
hole.png
hole.png (147.01 KiB) Viewed 8240 times
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.9663 (Git)
Build type: Unknown
Branch: FeatureHole
Hash: f4fab7c79b002aa96e97c27c2dd0b9f19b6af3dc
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.9.1.oce-0.18-dev
"fight the good fight"
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

At first glance I thought who the hell needs this, a circle defines a hole and that's enough. But with all these additional "features" it rather seems to be the other way round: Who needs circles any longer? Thanks!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

Nic work Eivind!

a few things about usability, feel free to ignore at will.

1. Could this be made to also work with points in sketches? As the circle radius is ignored anyway, it is easier to get a fully constraint sketch with single points.
2. While playing I intuitively thougth the holes are placed like the primitives, with the attachment code. One at a time. I personally would find that a usefull method to have next to sketches (which are obvisoly better for multiple holes). Would it be possible to either support both methods or have a second hole feature which is placed with attachments?
eivindkvedalen

Post by eivindkvedalen »

ickby wrote:Nic work Eivind!
Thanks!

ickby wrote:1. Could this be made to also work with points in sketches? As the circle radius is ignored anyway, it is easier to get a fully constraint sketch with single points.
Sketcher points don't create any vertices do they? Currently I iterate through the actual shape to get the circles. My initial implementation required an actual sketch, so to be able to use points (which I tend to agree is better), I would need to required a sketch again, and then look for point objects in the sketch.
ickby wrote: 2. While playing I intuitively thougth the holes are placed like the primitives, with the attachment code. One at a time. I personally would find that a usefull method to have next to sketches (which are obvisoly better for multiple holes). Would it be possible to either support both methods or have a second hole feature which is placed with attachments?
I've just implemented the missing bits in the already existing FeatureHole class in PartDesign. I can see that this is a bit limiting, as it forces you to use PartDesign for the part. I'll see if I can come up with a refactoring of the code that can place much of the geomtry in the Part module. Another thing; wouldn't this be the first then of "negative" objects. These also need to cut into objects they attach to. Do we have support for that? A manual cut after the attachment isn't very elegant...

Eivind
eivindkvedalen

Post by eivindkvedalen »

sgrogan wrote:First Impression...WOW :shock:
Thanks!
sgrogan wrote: There is a lot here. Is the thread information somehow passed to TechDraw for example? Haven't tested this yet. too many properties to explore.
It's not passed to TechDraw as of now, but I think this should be fairly easy to implement (without having looked at the code), as all the hole data are available as properties.

Eivind
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

eivindkvedalen wrote:Thanks!

sgrogan wrote:
There is a lot here. Is the thread information somehow passed to TechDraw for example? Haven't tested this yet. too many properties to explore.

It's not passed to TechDraw as of now, but I think this should be fairly easy to implement (without having looked at the code), as all the hole data are available as properties.
Thank You!, threads handled by meta-data or properties will be great. Accurate 3d threads are unnecessary for me, I usually just model the tap drill. I do like @ickby's idea about using points. I've just been making all circle radii equal and constraining one to a small random value. I'm still experimenting, but this is very good.
I'll try to post some win builds for more testing but on Ubuntu it works very well.
"fight the good fight"
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

eivindkvedalen wrote:
I've just implemented the missing bits in the already existing FeatureHole class in PartDesign. I can see that this is a bit limiting, as it forces you to use PartDesign for the part. I'll see if I can come up with a refactoring of the code that can place much of the geomtry in the Part module. Another thing; wouldn't this be the first then of "negative" objects. These also need to cut into objects they attach to. Do we have support for that? A manual cut after the attachment isn't very elegant...
Eivind
In Part Design there is a AddSub object from which also the subtracrive primitives derived that handle the Cut.

Imho such a high level feature should not be in Part workbench. Part ist for basic, lowlevel Operations. Geometry creation and booleans etc. A hole Feature ist more high level, it always needs a Solid, it automatically needs to subtract, it needs attached Sketch and than changes the Sketch Base... It does not fit at all in the Part Workflow, but very well in Part Design. Also it is not pimiting having it in PD only, you can usw every Part Solid as Base feature for a Body.
akredd

Post by akredd »

Hallo all,
that is well done work!! :)
To explain my annotations, at first some words about me. I stopped coding (Pascal) in 1995 (my fault :( ). All the time since 1982 I worked as a designer for tool machines. Freecad I joined 2014 for testing, Now I attend to use it for a small private project. Now my questions:
Is it possible to have an axis (datum) in that features that could be shown in TechDraw later and that could be used as reference for positioning screws in a future assembly? I don't see any... (may be I have to change some properties)

I think that it should be better to collect the standard informations (as in Standard.py) in a file like a LibreOfficeCalc-document or anything similar. When changing the standard it could be easier tu update such a file than code-lines. Otherwise than it could be possible (with some rules for naming that files) to implement "user-specific" files for non-standard holes or even factory-specific holes. What do you think about that.
At least a small hint: Row3 as in DIN 974-1:1991-05 is deleted in DIN 974-1:2008-02, because DIN 7980 "Federringe für Zylinderschrauben" is not valid any more. How should we handle this?

Andreas

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.9663 (Git)
Build type: Unknown
Branch: FeatureHole
Hash: f4fab7c79b002aa96e97c27c2dd0b9f19b6af3dc
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
akredd

Post by akredd »

sorry...
Just now I see, that you recognized the absence of DIN 7980. One should read the code until the end ...