PartDesign Hole feature

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
eivindkvedalen

Re: PartDesign Hole feature

Post by eivindkvedalen »

fosselius wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:14 pm I have compiled it and reviewed some of the code. Looks good. Will play around with it later today.

Update: This is awesome! i do like. I would like to be able to specify the "fit" a bit better (out of ISO spec) as i work with 3d prints and have shrinkage to account for... The code looks neat as well.
I could add a "custom fit" setting, that could use a global user setting for this (either percentage or offset value). Would that suffice? I'd really like to avoid another property in the task panel; it's already quite crowded there...

Eivind
fosselius

Post by fosselius »

That would do, i am sure there are other cases where custom fit would be handy.

As a side note.. A more correct way to handle my issue is to assign the correct material to the part (ex as FEM have ABS support). Then scale the entire part accordingly when exporting. But this is off topic..
ezzieyguywuf

Post by ezzieyguywuf »

triplus wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:06 am We had much discussions about creating threads in the past and OCC/OCE just isn't there yet to make the experience streamlined. ;)
What specifically in occ makes this task difficult?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hello ezzieyguywuf,

Thank you for this very complete hole feature, and thank you for thinking of us misguided North Americans and implementing Unified thread standard! :D
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

ezzieyguywuf wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:17 pm What specifically in occ makes this task difficult?
Many factors. Some are mentioned in the wiki's Thread for Screw Tutorial.
eivindkvedalen

Post by eivindkvedalen »

fosselius wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:34 pm That would do, i am sure there are other cases where custom fit would be handy.

As a side note.. A more correct way to handle my issue is to assign the correct material to the part (ex as FEM have ABS support). Then scale the entire part accordingly when exporting. But this is off topic..
Then I will leave it as is for now. Regarding 3D prints, isn't it a preprocessor task for the slicer to make sure that the printed output is dimensionally correct?

My next task is finishing my work on better support for materials, btw. Maybe your issue can be handled better there?

Eivind
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Is there a way to reverse the direction of the hole? I did some experimentation by attaching sketches to the XY, YZ, and XZ planes, making a big circle and padding it, and then making a small circle to base the hole on. In all cases, the hole only appears if the pad is reversed; with a normal pad, I just end up with a circular face with the diameter the hole should've had.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
fosselius

Post by fosselius »

Support for Hex head / Nut would be awesome. Its one of the most common screw holes i make. But i guess the orientation might become an issue?
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

ezzieyguywuf wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:17 pm What specifically in occ makes this task difficult?
At best you can create a helix and a thread profile ATM. To be used to create a thread. Any follow up boolean operations tend not to work after. I guess if you want some fast and quality information read this discussion:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 84#p100906

P.S. Screw Maker macro back-end (and Fasteners Workbench front-end) need to use special procedure to overcome a lot of issues involved to successfully create a thread.
eivindkvedalen

Post by eivindkvedalen »

kkremitzki wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:40 am Is there a way to reverse the direction of the hole? I did some experimentation by attaching sketches to the XY, YZ, and XZ planes, making a big circle and padding it, and then making a small circle to base the hole on. In all cases, the hole only appears if the pad is reversed; with a normal pad, I just end up with a circular face with the diameter the hole should've had.
No, currently there's no reverse option. I've only tested this with sketches attached to a face, and there it works as expected. But with sketches as you have tested, it doesn't work as expected. The pocket feature behaves the same way, btw. Not sure what the correct solution is; adding a reverse option doesn't feel like the right thing to do (although pocket also has it)...

Eivind