OCC Bugs in the Bugtracker

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
gAdlike

Re: OCC Bugs in the Bugtracker

Post by gAdlike »

sgrogan wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:52 pm
Kunda1 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:47 pm For effective collaboration, we need a possibility to replace OCCT in FC third parties

The biggest problem we have is that FreeCAD links against OCCT and nglib (which links against OCCT). So every time we upgrade OCCT we need to upgrade nglib. For porting FreeCAD a newer OCCT this is easy for me. One forum post and usually @wmayer responds with one of his famous "commit xxxxx" posts and FreeCAD is ported. I've compiled FreeCAD locally against self compiled OCCT 7.2 no problems on both Win and Ubuntu. Until recently https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26278 we've had to port nglib ourselves, and have had trouble getting the patches up-streamed.

It is well-known problem with NetGen library (nglib). For my purposes, I removed all C++11 stuff from the current development version of netgen :D to build it under MSVC2013.

For me, FC building is successful with OCCT7.2 it is also can be launched but it is not possible to use modules with OCCT like step file opening etc. In general, I vote for the migration to MSVC2015 because I use it at home for my pet projects and occt debugging. I used my local OCCT third parties to build with them. It is necessary to check libpack third parties for compilation.

Update: I've built FC with OCCT 7.2.0 using libpack as dependencies, now it is possible to open files :)
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

The biggest problem we have is that FreeCAD links against OCCT and nglib (which links against OCCT). So every time we upgrade OCCT we need to upgrade nglib. For porting FreeCAD a newer OCCT this is easy for me.
A workaround is to disable netgen support when building FreeCAD. This way you are not forced to build netgen/nglib using the newer OCCT version. This results into a somewhat limited FEM workbench but this shouldn't be a problem for the vast majority of OCCT issues as they appear in Part or PartDesign.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

wmayer wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:08 am A workaround is to disable netgen support when building FreeCAD.
The freecad-daily builds PPA for Ubuntu haven't been built with netgen for a long time, since we switched from OCE to OCCT 7.1.0. So far I haven't seen end users ask for it, which I admit is odd...
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

NormandC wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:44 pm The freecad-daily builds PPA for Ubuntu haven't been built with netgen for a long time, since we switched from OCE to OCCT 7.1.0. So far I haven't seen end users ask for it, which I admit is odd...
It comes up in the FEM forum. 0.17 can also use gmsh, and FreeCAD uses the executable, so no linking issues. This is why the complaints aren't too loud.
"fight the good fight"
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Added issue #3310 to the list
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:02 pm Added issue #3310 to the list
Could you also add issue #3332 to your list, please? It isn't drawing much attention on the OCC forum.

Thanks,
wf
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

wandererfan wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:23 pm Could you also add issue #3332 to your list, please? It isn't drawing much attention on the OCC forum).
Added to Missing upstream tickets section
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
gAdlike

Post by gAdlike »

wandererfan wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:23 pm
Could you also add issue #3332 to your list, please? It isn't drawing much attention on the OCC forum.

Thanks,
wf
I will try to create a corresponding OCCT issue for that problem or investigate what is really expected in that case.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

gAdlike wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:00 am I will try to create a corresponding OCCT issue for that problem or investigate what is really expected in that case.
I can create a ticket on tracker.dev.opencascade.org if that's easier. Didn't want to clutter up the list if my usage was at fault.

wf
gAdlike

Post by gAdlike »

Corresponding OCCT issue has been created: https://tracker.dev.opencascade.org/view.php?id=29493