[SOLVED] Migrating (soon to be deprecated) Drawing WB tickets to TechDraw WB

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Jee-Bee
Posts: 1950
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:32 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: Migrating (soon to be deprecated) Drawing WB tickets to TechDraw WB

Postby Jee-Bee » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:09 am

wandererfan wrote:1880 - Show/hide drawing template structure
- no plans for this. is it useful for something?
In Pro-E i used this for sending drawings to laser cutting companies. where the last page was an 1:1 model without paper so they can use it as dxf
wandererfan
Posts: 2964
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:42 pm

Re: Migrating (soon to be deprecated) Drawing WB tickets to TechDraw WB

Postby wandererfan » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:30 pm

Jee-Bee wrote:In Pro-E i used this for sending drawings to laser cutting companies. where the last page was an 1:1 model without paper so they can use it as dxf
So this is about dxf (or svg,pdf,...) export, not display on screen or print out? That makes some sense.
User avatar
yorik
Site Admin
Posts: 11496
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:16 pm
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Contact:

Re: Migrating (soon to be deprecated) Drawing WB tickets to TechDraw WB

Postby yorik » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:28 pm

Kunda1 wrote:So should I close these for sure?
Yes, thanks!
NormandC wrote:I would tend to close issue #2648 as won't fix.
+1. There has been many discussions about that already, I think it can be closed.
User avatar
Kunda1
Posts: 5458
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:03 pm

Re: Migrating (soon to be deprecated) Drawing WB tickets to TechDraw WB

Postby Kunda1 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:11 pm

wandererfan wrote:
Jee-Bee wrote:In Pro-E i used this for sending drawings to laser cutting companies. where the last page was an 1:1 model without paper so they can use it as dxf
So this is about dxf (or svg,pdf,...) export, not display on screen or print out? That makes some sense.
Based on this, does issue #1880 get moved to TD and become a child of issue #2882?

Edit: I fixed the borked issue numbers. Thanks @sgrogan!
Last edited by Kunda1 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
User avatar
sgrogan
Posts: 5319
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:02 pm

Re: Migrating (soon to be deprecated) Drawing WB tickets to TechDraw WB

Postby sgrogan » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:33 pm

Kunda1 wrote:Based on this, does issue #1883 get moved to TD and become a child of issue #2883?
I think the issue links are messed up? License issue and Path Contour?
User avatar
Kunda1
Posts: 5458
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:03 pm

Re: Migrating (soon to be deprecated) Drawing WB tickets to TechDraw WB

Postby Kunda1 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:42 pm

wandererfan wrote:Sorry to take so long to get back to you @kunda1. Here is my take on your list. As others have mentioned, there are no actual plans to retire Drawing at this time.

0143 - Allow moving of views graphically on the page
- in TD
1494 - Add the current view in the orthographic projection tool
- in TD DPG dialog
1679 - Add an action to set orthographic projections as hints for a drawing page
- TD is drag and drop. x/y aren't generally set manually
1688 - Orthographic projection uses more digits behind decimal point for scale than shown in properties
- TD uses global decimals setting
1727 - API function Drawing.projectToDXF
- TD has no projectToDXF API function. no plans for one at this time.
1822 - Scale factor property in drawing page limited to one digit (sometime two)
- TD uses global decimal setting
1863 - Global preference for drawing line width
- Line style/weight preference changes are planned (related 1920,1921)
1867 - Use QtWebKit (QWebView) instead of QtSvg for DW drawing area
- not relevant to TD
1880 - Show/hide drawing template structure
- no plans for this. is it useful for something?
1920 - Drawing scale and stroke-dasharray
1921 - Drawing view hidden lines (style) and stroke-dasharray
- Line style/weight preference changes are planned (related 1863)
2004 - Performance regression when more (empty) drawing pages inserted
- empty pages do not seem to be an issue in TD. more non-empty pages will of course slow things down.
2123 - drawing workbench - enable rotation by 3 axis
- you can set the direction of a view to anything you want. Not really applicable to TD
2184 - Drawing template filenames for ISO7200 are numbered consecutively but corresponding files do not exist
- not an issue in TD. different handling of templates.
2283 - Drawing::FeatureViewPart LineWidth should not be scaled
- line widths are not scaled in TD
2620 - Appears in both V0.16 and daily builds Drawing dxf export not working correctly
- no plans for dxf export in TD at this time
2629 - Merge Drawing_dimensioning into Drawing
- no plans to merge Drawing_dimensioning into TD. Some intention to steal good ideas.
2648 - Changing the template in the Drawing-Workbench is not saved
- works in TD
2384 - Drawing dotted lines are inconsistent
- appears to be OCC hidden line issue. resolved in 7.1
2383 - Drawing lines missing or incorrect
- resolved in OCC 7.1
2427 - hidden lines
- resolved OCC 7.1

Hope this helps.
wf
Couple of questions:
1.
@wandererfan mentioned the above tickets. I've started to resolve some of them as you can see from the 1st post which I'm using to keep track of the work. Am I doing it right? If Drawing is not deprecated yet which issues should stay? Do we need to notate them a certain way to indicate that Drawing will be deprecated and attention is now pointed to TechDraw?

2.
@Yorik wrote:
yorik wrote: The DXF-related ones could be gathered under one big "DXF support in techdraw" issue. DXF export doesn't exist in TechDraw yet. That would be a cool feature to work on, if anybody interested :)
I created issue #2882 (DXF support in TechDraw) based on this... :?

But @wandererfan writes:
wandererfan wrote: issue #1727 - API function Drawing.projectToDXF
- TD has no projectToDXF API function. no plans for one at this time.
issue #2620 - Appears in both V0.16 and daily builds Drawing dxf export not working correctly
- no plans for dxf export in TD at this time
Please advise.
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
wandererfan
Posts: 2964
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:42 pm

Re: Migrating (soon to be deprecated) Drawing WB tickets to TechDraw WB

Postby wandererfan » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:41 am

Kunda1 wrote:I created issue #2882 (DXF support in TechDraw) based on this... :?

But @wandererfan writes:
wandererfan wrote: issue #1727 - API function Drawing.projectToDXF
- TD has no projectToDXF API function. no plans for one at this time.
issue #2620 - Appears in both V0.16 and daily builds Drawing dxf export not working correctly
- no plans for dxf export in TD at this time
Please advise.
I just meant that I currently had no plans to make a dxf export. If somebody wants it, we should have a feature request in the list for sure.
User avatar
Kunda1
Posts: 5458
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:03 pm

Re: Migrating (soon to be deprecated) Drawing WB tickets to TechDraw WB

Postby Kunda1 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:29 pm

wandererfan wrote:
Kunda1 wrote:I created issue #2882 (DXF support in TechDraw) based on this... :?

But @wandererfan writes:
wandererfan wrote: issue #1727 - API function Drawing.projectToDXF
- TD has no projectToDXF API function. no plans for one at this time.
issue #2620 - Appears in both V0.16 and daily builds Drawing dxf export not working correctly
- no plans for dxf export in TD at this time
Please advise.
I just meant that I currently had no plans to make a dxf export. If somebody wants it, we should have a feature request in the list for sure.
Thanks for the clarification :)
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
User avatar
Kunda1
Posts: 5458
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:03 pm

Re: Migrating (soon to be deprecated) Drawing WB tickets to TechDraw WB

Postby Kunda1 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:33 pm

Should issue #956 "Integrate triplus macro as command into Part/Drawing" (thread) become a Feature Request for TD ?
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
wandererfan
Posts: 2964
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:42 pm

Re: Migrating (soon to be deprecated) Drawing WB tickets to TechDraw WB

Postby wandererfan » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:35 pm

Kunda1 wrote:Should issue #956 "Integrate triplus macro as command into Part/Drawing" (thread) become a Feature Request for TD ?
From a quick review only, TD already does pretty much everything discussed in the thread. I'd say mark it "won't fix" or "resolved in TD".