Introducing App::Link/XLink

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
realthunder
Veteran

Re: Introducing App::Link/XLink

Post by realthunder »

DeepSOIC wrote:That's not exactly true. Draft Clone does a deep copy of the shape. In Lattice, I made array tools to do a shallow copy, to get extra performance and lower memory use. That worked brilliantly, and I got an unexpected speedup because OCC re-uses the triangulation too... to finally realize that after saving-loading, all the sharing is lost. Even the array with internal sharing, written out as compound into a brep file. The sharing goes away. That makes me wonder, how does a compsolid survive save-load, it has to share faces to be valid...
Hmm, so another potentially huge optimization opportunity here, FC file saving algorithm. We can simply build a hash map of TopoDS_Shape, and only save one with the real geometry data, and the rest is just transformation, orientation stuff.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

App::Link creation button is up in Part-o-magic! It's in dropdown button of part-o-magic's global toolbar.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

DOH! I forgot to commit and push :oops: should be up now :P