GSoC 2017 Dev Log: jnxd

Contributions from the participants, questions and answers to their projects.
Discussions of proposals for upcoming events.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jnxd

GSoC 2017 Dev Log: jnxd

Post by jnxd »

On yorik's suggesion (and due to the difficulty I'm facing while creating a blog of my own :mrgreen: ), I will be logging all my development activities on this thread. Hopefully it would be one post per week or more frequent. I'm parking this post as the header, and following posts will act as logs.

Project Plan: TODO
My latest (or last) project: B-spline Construction Project.
jnxd

Re: GSoC 2017 Dev Log: jnxd

Post by jnxd »

Update May 11th 2017

DeepSOIC and I have been exploring the possibilities with blended fusion, and it appears that there are bugs in OCC at multiple levels that prevent us from actually implementing this feature right away. I have written up the details about it elsewhere, but the here's a tl;dr:

There are certain edge cases where the available OCC methods don't work correctly, and thus either the edges are not properly identified or the fillet is not made. Due to these cases, we are restricting this functionality to macros, and are asking the community to test this macro and provide a feedback if we should refine and polish it.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Thanks for doing this jnxd!
jnxd wrote:the difficulty I'm facing while creating a blog of my own
You could go the easy route: create a blog on a platform like wordpress.com, everything is taken care of. The free plan offers 3GB of storage which is more than enough. There are others, like Google's Blogger. If you already have a Google account, creating a blog can be very fast.
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

NormandC wrote: You could go the easy route: create a blog on a platform like wordpress.com, everything is taken care of. The free plan offers 3GB of storage which is more than enough. There are others, like Google's Blogger. If you already have a Google account, creating a blog can be very fast.
I really prefer to keep things Python, and Nikola seems like an interesting thing. Also, this thread itself is not really a bad idea, given that FreeCAD lives almost entirely on this forum. So I'll wait till I have time and then set up ajinkyadahale.github.io, and maybe copy the log there. Thanks for the options, though.
fosselius

Post by fosselius »

I vote for keeping it on the forum, it will be way more interactive that way ;)
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

Update Some musings, May 17

Finally I have submitted my thesis and now should have more time for the project. Unfortunately over almost the next whole week, I'll be either traveling or otherwise without very active internet, but I should be able to do any offline stuff.

I believe that this project is going to be a as much research as programming, if not more. To this end, I want to know how this name "Topological Naming" came along. I have read a bit about topology ("a bit" is an overestimate, to be honest), and have an idea of what a topological space is. Topological spaces are defined in terms of open sets, and I would like to have an idea of what the open sets are here, and how it all connects.

I am hoping that understanding all this would lead to more robust algorithms in my implementations.

PS. DeepSOIC and I had this exact same discussion here.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

jnxd wrote: I want to know how this name "Topological Naming" came along.
I'm certainly not an expert but in BREP modeling we have two parts; topology and geometry.
Topology is faces, edges, and vertices. The stuff that OCC names.
Geometry is surfaces, curves, and points.
A face is a bounded surface defined by it's edges. The edges are bounded curves defined by their vertices that exist at points.
If this is wrong please somebody explain my misunderstanding.
"fight the good fight"
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

Maybe an idea to to check/ read https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15847.
I think a part of all problems you encounter @ezzieyguywuf did too...
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

jnxd wrote:PS. DeepSOIC and I had this exact same discussion here.
Sorry for my previos post. I've now read the full thread and see that DeepSOIC had already said the same.
This helped me https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topology Reading the whole thing through before clicking on the links helped.
The first 10 pages of this http://www.ijcc.org/on-line2(pdf)/pdf/ijcc5-6.pdf helped me understand the task.
From the abstract this looks relevant http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.100 ... 35187-2_34
You may have already have seen all of this, maybe it's of use for those following along.

OffTopic: DeepSOIC, you are very good at explaining, I learned a lot by reading the gitter thread.
"fight the good fight"
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

sgrogan wrote:
jnxd wrote:PS. DeepSOIC and I had this exact same discussion here.
Sorry for my previos post. I've now read the full thread and see that DeepSOIC had already said the same.
This helped me https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topology Reading the whole thing through before clicking on the links helped.
The first 10 pages of this http://www.ijcc.org/on-line2(pdf)/pdf/ijcc5-6.pdf helped me understand the task.
From the abstract this looks relevant http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.100 ... 35187-2_34
You may have already have seen all of this, maybe it's of use for those following along.
Thanks the links. I can't unfortunately access the last one, but reading the Wikipedia page helped a bit. Can't say I am completely clear though.

It is probably a good idea to go with the definition of topology as used in CAD, viz. faces, edges, vertexes as opposed to surfaces, curves and points (I still don't see the difference between points and vertexes). All connection with the classical definition of topology should become clearer in due course.
OffTopic: DeepSOIC, you are very good at explaining, I learned a lot by reading the gitter thread.
No doubt.