Presentation of aspiring FreeCAD contributor

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
gntech

Presentation of aspiring FreeCAD contributor

Postby gntech » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:38 am

Hello all, I have recently registred here on the forum and on the bug tracker but I have been "lurking" on the FreeCAD forum for some years actually.

I have a day job as mechanical engineer where I use Solidworks and Catia V5 professionally. As a side project I have a small business designing and manufacturing furniture. In that business I use free and open source software almost exclusively, Linux, FreeCAD, Blender, Inkscape etc.

I am looking into starting contributing to FreeCAD development and I hope to have a good collaboration with the team here :)

Thanks!
/ Gustav
ickby

Re: Presentation of aspiring FreeCAD contributor

Postby ickby » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:00 am

Welcome here, Gustav!

Always nice to hear that someone wants to help out FreeCAD, and experiance in using CAD and coding is a very good combination!

If you have read the forum for a while you already know that FreeCAD development works in a "I want it, I do it" manner. So first thing is to make up your mind what you want to work on and what your interest is.

From my personal view I highly recommend to work on PartDesign workbench, there we are making good progress in stability and general worability, but could always use people that help improving tools functionality as well as improving and simplifying the workflow.

Stefan
yorik
Site Admin

Postby yorik » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:52 pm

ickby wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:00 am
From my personal view I highly recommend to work on PartDesign workbench
From my personal view I highly recommend to work on Arch workbench

:D Sorry ickby couldn't resist
ickby

Postby ickby » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:54 pm

yorik wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:52 pm
From my personal view I highly recommend to work on Arch workbench

:D Sorry ickby couldn't resist
Hehe, thats fine, same rules for everyone :lol:
triplus

Postby triplus » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:17 pm

Or another option is to do some work in a way both PartDesign and Arch workbench can reuse it. ;)
Kunda1

Postby Kunda1 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:01 pm

triplus wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:17 pm
Or another option is to do some work in a way both PartDesign and Arch workbench can reuse it. ;)
@triplus +1
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
abdullah

Postby abdullah » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:46 am

gntech wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:38 am

I am looking into starting contributing to FreeCAD development and I hope to have a good collaboration with the team here :)
Welcome.

From my personal view I highly recommend that you pick whichever WB you would actually like to improve. If there is something that you use normally and annoys you, then that is a very good candidate.

Generally speaking, development for FreeCAD is generally something that an average contributor does not acquire one day overnight. It requires a standing dose of motivation, so initial energy if you wish. After a couple of contributions in the same area, after the conversion of that energy into kinetic energy, it goes much more smoother.

I started with the Sketcher because it was my main tool and had some corners that annoyed me. I fixed a couple of bugs, then I programmed the Elements WB of the sketcher... then well, some others, it gets easier and easier with time...

In any case, welcome! :)
looo

Postby looo » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:23 pm

In my eyes the most needed thing with freecad is dependency-maintenance... recently there are two ports going on: qt5 and python3. Both are currently not ready on any system. Much work is needed to get this ports ready. For example our scenegraph library should be ported to qt5. There are branches which work with qt5, but not anything official...
The python3 port needs also some help. Getting tests running with python3, package dependencies for the ppa, test gui functionality with python3... there are many things which have to be done.
gntech

Postby gntech » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:25 am

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! :)

I will definitely consider your advice on what to start work on but I cant make any promises on anything at this time. :) I realise that at first it will take some considerable time and effort to just be able to get up to speed and get some kind of grip of the codebase. At least the general structure of it.

As my first task however, I am probably going to choose to scratch an itch of my own to get going. One thing that come to mind that I find a bit annoying is "selection"; both selecting points, lines, etc when in sketch mode and when selecting edges and vertices in the 3d-mode. Basically I find the selection tool is way too sensitive or picky about placement to be able to select. I wonder if I could either just increase "the zone" around a particular element for which it will be highlighted and selectable or if it perhaps (probably) is more complicated than that.

Another itch is in TechDraw, the default line widths and styles doesnt follow what I consider good (standardised) drawing practices, so there is some room for improving I think. Sane or at least a bit saner defaults.
triplus

Postby triplus » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:16 am

gntech wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:25 am
As my first task however, I am probably going to choose to scratch an itch of my own to get going. One thing that come to mind that I find a bit annoying is "selection"; both selecting points, lines, etc when in sketch mode and when selecting edges and vertices in the 3d-mode. Basically I find the selection tool is way too sensitive or picky about placement to be able to select. I wonder if I could either just increase "the zone" around a particular element for which it will be highlighted and selectable or if it perhaps (probably) is more complicated than that.
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=16275