Part module preference option not activated at startup ?

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
vejmarie

Re: Part module preference option not activated at startup ?

Post by vejmarie »

Unfortunatly on that one I can't do a lot of thing currently. As Placement into OCAF are referred to a Shape. As a Part Container is an Assembly/Compound STEP element it can be placed only if there is a root reference ( Aka a root node which is containing the global assembly even if I call the right XCAFLocation call). So if you change the placement of a root node which is a Free Shape then that Free Shape can't contain placement information, only absolute coordinate of a shape which doesn't exist or can't be allocated to Assembly/Compound STEP element.

So the workaround is to add a root node on top of your assembly name it of your project name as an example and export your step from it, and it will work like a charm. Exactly like you mentionned it and how it was pre-implemented.

I tried some workaround by using STEP reference, but currently it doesn't work.

I will keep an eye on it, but put it as a low priority on my TODO, as I was trying to get StepUp working fine first. I just have a low priority process in my brain which try to understand how that stuff could work. I spent a lot of time reading OCAF stuff into OpenCascade source code, and trust me this is just a headache ;)
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

OK.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

wmayer wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:42 pm Just found another issue. When you create a Part container, set its placement and add some shapes then on export the placement is ignored. After moving the Part container into a second Part container and selecting the latter for export the placement is considered.

So you always need two Part containers which seems a bit odd behaviour to me.

Any opinions?
Linking issue #3143 since it seems related
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

Kunda1 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:06 pm Linking issue #3143 since it seems related
this bug should be closed... it is related to exporting single part placement (solved) and not to App::Part absolute placement
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Linking issue #3143: Step export doesn't honor placement to this thread
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

easyw-fc wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:01 pm
Kunda1 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:06 pm Linking issue #3143 since it seems related
this bug should be closed... it is related to exporting single part placement (solved) and not to App::Part absolute placement
Can you notate the issue #3143 with an explanation why the bug should be closed? Thanks!
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:56 pm
easyw-fc wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:01 pm
Can you notate the issue #3143 with an explanation why the bug should be closed? Thanks!
the placemento fo the single parts is now honored.
Only top level in hierarchy App::Part container, if exported, will not conserve its placement. But this will not affect the file of the example in the issue reported, which is composed of single parts objects.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

I just discovered another major regression. When you create a sketch you can export it e.g. into STEP format but the reader now ignores it and always creates an empty document. In order to load the file you have to load it using the simplified reader of the Part workbench.

issue #0003174
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

wmayer wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:54 pm In order to load the file you have to load it using the simplified reader of the Part workbench.
issue #0003174
there is an option to check in the preferences hSTEP
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 14#p188653
It is still a workaround because in case of compounds, the objects will be loaded as one single shape and colors will be lost...
but solids will be loaded fine
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Bump
(maybe the cause of issue #3143?)