[FEATURE REQUEST] Draft WB - line to sketch

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
PrzemoF
Veteran

[FEATURE REQUEST] Draft WB - line to sketch

Post by PrzemoF »

Converting line to sketch in Draft wb currently fails with a console message and status bar message that 3 points are required (1). I think it would be better to:
1. Tell user what's going on with a dialog box. Current message is easy to miss and the action creates an empty sketch, so the user might get impression that it all went OK.
2. Use random point to generate the sketch surface OR let user select the 3rd point

I need that feature to work with Silk wb :D

(1) The message:

Code: Select all

Need at least 3 points in order to convert to Sketch
yorik
Founder

Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Draft WB - line to sketch

Post by yorik »

I don't remember where this limitation came from... In any case indeed no reason why a 2-point line couldn't be converted to a sketch. That is now fixed in git commit 12d411ac5
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

yorik wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:13 am I don't remember where this limitation came from... In any case indeed no reason why a 2-point line couldn't be converted to a sketch. That is now fixed in git commit 12d411ac5
Before the latest updates is available for a try in Fedora (thanks Przemof BTW), just wander how a single 3d line working plane is determined?
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

Thanks! I'll be testing it soon!
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

paullee wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:57 amjust wander how a single 3d line working plane is determined?
Hmm you're right...My fix won't work for lines that are not in the XY plane. We might need to add some more stuff there.
drei

Post by drei »

Several options for those cases:
  1. Request the user to select a plane to attach the sketch to. Project the line onto the plane.
  2. Recover the previous functionality, requiring a third point to be selected. This way a plane is defined with all three points (two from the line).
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
Gift

Post by Gift »

A simple solution is to use the drawing plane of Draft(FreeCAD.DraftWorkingPlane), if the points are to less. Provided the points are coplanar with the plane.
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

If the line was not on the current plane it would generate a projection on the surface, not a proper 1:1 sketch (some random image form the net, but it illustrates the problem).