Create and display local coordinate system

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
thuswm

Re: Create and display local coordinate system

Post by thuswm »

Great! I look forward to that!
ollydbg

Post by ollydbg »

Sorry to bump such an old thread, my question is: What's the status of this feature? Thanks.
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

Hehe that is a funny read, 2012 the statement for the merge was "in a few weeks", and it actually happend last week :)

It is in master now, but he aware that it is unstable and needs quite some polishing which will take a while.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

wmayer wrote: Wed May 23, 2012 7:39 pm I'm quite familiar with local coordinate systems too because I'm working also a lot with them.
[...]
In FreeCAD we have so called placements which is a rotation (expressed as a quaternion)
ickby wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:25 am Hehe that is a funny read, 2012 the statement for the merge was "in a few weeks", and it actually happend last week :)
It's 2018 now, any news about this ? In the source code I see the file Base/CoordinateSystem.h with Werner Mayer as author, so probably most of the stuff is already in place. In FreeCAD there is also a command in View/Toggle Axis Cross that allows to display a coordinate system. But I don't see any way to
  • create a coordinate system
  • select the original one
I believe this (being able to create, select and use local coordinate systems) would be the single most needed feature in FreeCAD for many people.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

Zolko wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:02 pm It's 2018 now, any news about this ?
There are two things available:
1. Containers, such as Body and Part, form local coordinate systems.
2. Lattice2 add-on workbench is to some degree all about local coordinate systems, and arrays of those.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

DeepSOIC wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:40 pm 1. Containers, such as Body and Part, form local coordinate systems.
for what I can see, a Body or a Part can — and do — contain exactly 1 coordinate system. What I meant is to have several LCS for any Part. You can trick the system by creating a Body inside a Part, and moving it which also moves its LCS. So for each LCS you could create an empty Body and use only its LCS. Phew. It would be much nicer to actually have LCS as reference, the same way as a Point, Axis or Plane.

Also, the LCS doesn't look like an LCS, visually. What I would expect from an LCS is the same what can be seen in the lower-right corner of the window, or when you click View/Toggle axis cross → THAT is what an LCS is supposed to look like. Unfortunately, it's not selectable, and you can't create another
2. Lattice2 add-on workbench is to some degree all about local coordinate systems, and arrays of those.
to some degree, but not quite
Attachments
FreeCAD_LCS.png
FreeCAD_LCS.png (230.31 KiB) Viewed 2184 times
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

Zolko wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:13 pm to some degree, but not quite
Please be specific about "not quite" part. What specific thing do you need to do?
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

Lattice2 "airplanes" generally are used very much like this LCS, my hope is that once a proper LCS element would be added to FC (I agree it should be in the group of the datum point, line, plane) that Lattice would adopt it instead of the existing "airplanes".

here is a video of placing columns in an civil "assembly" in catia using the positions of the axis system https://youtu.be/3rcNdbPxl-k?t=157

and another two videos showing some use of it in a facade assembly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl0IvRceRDo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4Vlb94BUf0
Last edited by saso on Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

DeepSOIC wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:19 pm Please be specific about "not quite" part. What specific thing do you need to do?
first thing: visually it's not clear what is the orientation of the paper plane -vs- XYZ axes
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

Zolko wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:34 pm first thing: visually it's not clear what is the orientation of the paper plane -vs- XYZ axes
Just learn it once, and you'll never forget.
https://github.com/DeepSOIC/Lattice2/wi ... ent-marker
I used the paperplane instead of "axis cross" thing for the very reason it's much easier to comprehend than colored axes.