Release of v0.17

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Release of v0.17

Post by NormandC »

I found a new, severe bug with PartDesign Migrate. Trying to migrate some files made in 0.16 to 0.17, either manually or with the Migrate utility end up with FreeCAD crashing. One such file is found in issue #2497. Sorry I can't test further at the moment.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

NormandC wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:38 am I found a new, severe bug with PartDesign Migrate. Trying to migrate some files made in 0.16 to 0.17, either manually or with the Migrate utility end up with FreeCAD crashing. One such file is found in issue #2497. Sorry I can't test further at the moment.
Problem doesn't seem to be related to the migration command. If you mark the whole document for recompute, perform the recompute after a while OCCT segfaults. According to the call stack this must be an OCCT bug:
1 Geom2d_BSplineCurve::Degree Geom2d_BSplineCurve_1.cxx 184 0x7fee042028b
2 ProjLib_ProjectedCurve::Load ProjLib_ProjectedCurve.cxx 658 0x7fee07d3071
3 ProjLib_ProjectedCurve::ProjLib_ProjectedCurve ProjLib_ProjectedCurve.cxx 309 0x7fee07d12c2
4 GeomProjLib::Curve2d GeomProjLib.cxx 103 0x7fee07e78fd
5 GeomProjLib::Curve2d GeomProjLib.cxx 197 0x7fee07e81bd
6 Draft_Modification::NewCurve2d Draft_Modification.cxx 413 0x7fedeeaabe1
7 BRepTools_Modifier::Rebuild BRepTools_Modifier.cxx 422 0x7fee0f8730d
8 BRepTools_Modifier::Rebuild BRepTools_Modifier.cxx 381 0x7fee0f86f3b
9 BRepTools_Modifier::Rebuild BRepTools_Modifier.cxx 381 0x7fee0f86f3b
10 BRepTools_Modifier::Perform BRepTools_Modifier.cxx 143 0x7fee0f86078
11 BRepBuilderAPI_ModifyShape::DoModif BRepBuilderAPI_ModifyShape.cxx 77 0x7fee1bc2d32
12 BRepBuilderAPI_ModifyShape::DoModif BRepBuilderAPI_ModifyShape.cxx 100 0x7fee1bc2b9b
13 BRepOffsetAPI_DraftAngle::Build BRepOffsetAPI_DraftAngle.cxx 306 0x7fedee5b08c
14 PartDesign::Draft::execute FeatureDraft.cpp 298 0x7fed8ce2ca4
15 App::DocumentObject::recompute DocumentObject.cpp 89 0x7fee4fe3579
16 Part::Feature::recompute PartFeature.cpp 83 0x7fee2aa5db8
17 App::Document::_recomputeFeature Document.cpp 2443 0x7fee4eaad27
18 App::Document::recompute Document.cpp 2227 0x7fee4ea311f
19 App::DocumentPy::recompute DocumentPyImp.cpp 408 0x7fee50385fe
20 App::DocumentPy::staticCallback_recompute DocumentPy.cpp 1718 0x7fee50384c2
... <More>
galou_breizh

Post by galou_breizh »

Wouldn't the release of v0.17 be the opportunity to solve what I consider an inconsistency in PDN: offer the three planes for new sketches XY, YZ, ZX (as opposed to XY, YZ, XZ). Cf. https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15319.

Gaël
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

wmayer wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:56 am According to the call stack this must be an OCCT bug:
Thanks Werner. I did say I hadn't properly tested, sorry about that.

galou_breizh wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:45 pm Wouldn't the release of v0.17 be the opportunity to solve what I consider an inconsistency in PDN: offer the three planes for new sketches XY, YZ, ZX (as opposed to XY, YZ, XZ). Cf. https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15319.
It's not an inconsistency to me, and I suspect to a majority of end users. Yes, FreeCAD here follows the same convention as many CAD programs, and it is right that it does. Hat tip to PrzemoF who posted this link a while back: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_triviality

(I'm expecting to get this link thrown back in my face at some point in the future :D )
gAdlike

Post by gAdlike »

Hello,

As you might know, Open CASCADE Technology (OCCT) - the software platform developed by OPEN CASCADE SAS and used in FreeCAD - has been made available under GNU LGPL license in December 2013, with the release of the version 6.7.0 of this software. It is not a secret that the change of OCCT license had been induced, in some significant extent, by the wide community of OCCT users - adepts of ideas of Open Source and free software, including you - and we thank everybody who contributed to that decision, because it eliminated all the doubts connected with the use of the former OCCT license, hence increased the popularity of OCCT software.

As we are all aware, LGPL license puts some specific requirements on the users of the library, which were not present in the former license (OCC Public License).
Following our constantly improving understanding of this license, we want to share it with the users of our software, so to make sure that they avoid any mistakes and violations of our license that can put their business under risk.

Looking at the FreeCAD 0.17 pre-release version we were able to download it from github, we found out that is uses OCCT libraries version 7.1.0. Running the application, we can see that the "About" dialog of this software does not contain copyright information. What worries us it that, according to the chapter 6 of OCCT license (http://www.opencascade.org/getocc/license/):

6. <...>
You must give prominent notice with each copy of the work that the Library is used in it and that the Library and its use are covered by this License. You must supply a copy of this License. If the work during execution displays copyright notices, you must include the copyright notice for the Library among them, as well as a reference directing the user to the copy of this License.

the same "About" dialog must confirm the use of Open CASCADE Technology in your software, contain OPEN CASCADE copyright notice on it, and provide a link to the text of the license.
However, apparently, the "About" dialog in your application does not contain that information.

You can have a look at the page http://www.qt.io/qt-licensing-terms/ for more detailed explanation of obligations imposed by usage of LGPL software.

We kindly ask you to take these requirements into account, and apply the needed corrections in the next version of FreeCAD. Please let us know on your decision. For the examples of how used third-party libraries can be correctly mentioned, we advise you to have a look at how this is done in "CAD Assistant" application. We thank you for using our software libraries, and look forward to your cooperation.

Also, old OCCT license is used in wiki page: https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Third_Party_Libraries.

Best Regards,
gAdlike
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

We kindly ask you to take these requirements into account, and apply the needed corrections in the next version of FreeCAD. Please let us know on your decision. For the examples of how used third-party libraries can be correctly mentioned, we advise you to have a look at how this is done in "CAD Assistant" application. We thank you for using our software libraries, and look forward to your cooperation.
@gAdlike You are talking about this dialog, I guess?
cad_assistant.png
cad_assistant.png (57.32 KiB) Viewed 1621 times
Sure, we will add the missing stuff ASAP.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

@gAdlike

No need to worry. FreeCAD being a FOSS and LGPL licensed software itself. We are OK with the license requirements. More prominent mention of the fact we use OCCT (and other libraries) in About dialog was likely overlooked due to the fact this gets mentioned here on the forum basically on a daily basis, on the Wiki and each time an user provides FreeCAD info. Therefore i guess due to the fact this is a common knowledge. As for special mention section area in the About dialog. That works for us too.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

gAdlike wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:44 am Also, old OCCT license is used in wiki page: https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Third_Party_Libraries.
Wiki page Third_Party_Libraries updated.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I added this to the license page of the About dialog:
Screenshot from 2018-02-02 16-47-54.png
Screenshot from 2018-02-02 16-47-54.png (39.75 KiB) Viewed 1551 times
Would that be enough? I couldn't find any other open-source app that cites all the third-parties libraries used in its about dialog...
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

yorik wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:54 pm I added this to the license page of the About dialog:
Would that be enough? I couldn't find any other open-source app that cites all the third-parties libraries used in its about dialog...
Maybe this is not sufficient. But we can make it the same way as CAD Assistant where we add a new tab with the 3rd party libs. Then I think we also need the full license text and deploy them together with FreeCAD.