Release of v0.17

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Release of v0.17

Post by NormandC »

One more bug I forgot to report :D

The Dependency Graph no longer updates automatically after changes to the document. Anybody can confirm?
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/1198 should fix the unit test failure in uptodate master
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Sounds good and looking forward for the release.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Another blocking bug: most of the Draft tools are kaput in the latest freecad-daily build.

I'll do a proper dedicated topic tomorrow...
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

NormandC wrote:But what about the trouble of "Links go out of scope"? If this is not addressed somehow, it will create a lot of incomprehension for newcomers, and a lot of frustration among existing users.
If it was up to me then I would simply disable the "Links go out of scope" check and would maybe only put a warning to the output window. The purpose of this check is to force a certain structure in the document for the upcoming assembly workbench and to force the user to model in a certain workflow. But what does it help if a lot of functions are not prepared yet for this workflow? And I don't think that we are able to improve this in relative short time.
When deleting a feature in the middle of a sequence of features, in 0.16 it was possible to repair the model by first deleting external geometry in sketches, then remapping the sketches. Now in 0.17, once a feature in the middle of a Body tree is deleted, I haven't found a way to repair the following features. But I need to do further testing and create reproducible steps, then report it on the tracker.
Must be this one issue #0003084
abdullah wrote:...
OK, I will look at these PRs first.
NormandC wrote:The Dependency Graph no longer updates automatically after changes to the document. Anybody can confirm?
I am not sure if this behaviour has changed wrt Qt4. But with Qt5 it's currently not possible anyway the way how it's implemented.
bernd wrote:https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/1198 should fix the unit test failure in uptodate master
OK.
NormandC wrote:Another blocking bug: most of the Draft tools are kaput in the latest freecad-daily build.
What exactly is broken?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

wmayer wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:56 pm
When deleting a feature in the middle of a sequence of features, in 0.16 it was possible to repair the model by first deleting external geometry in sketches, then remapping the sketches. Now in 0.17, once a feature in the middle of a Body tree is deleted, I haven't found a way to repair the following features. But I need to do further testing and create reproducible steps, then report it on the tracker.
Must be this one issue #0003084
Exactly, I wasn't aware abdullah had reported it so long ago. We found the same workaround; I would say that it is not a blocking issue then.

NormandC wrote:The Dependency Graph no longer updates automatically after changes to the document. Anybody can confirm?
I am not sure if this behaviour has changed wrt Qt4. But with Qt5 it's currently not possible anyway the way how it's implemented.
In 0.16.6712, the dependency graph updates automatically with changes to the FC document. I guess this means it no further works since the changes made by ickby to it?

NormandC wrote:Another blocking bug: most of the Draft tools are kaput in the latest freecad-daily build.
What exactly is broken?
Draft Tools broken with 0.17 and French language
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Hi everybody, happy new year!

Sorry for the blackout, just came back from vacation. The schedule looks good to me as well.
I'll go through the bug tracker too in the coming days and have a series of minor fixes to commit too, but there shouldn't be anything important.
I'll take care of the translation stuff (will do a new upload next week), maybe we can start spreading the word on social networks too.

It would be good if someone could also look at the wiki and see if something urgent is missing, that could be fixed easily.

I'll be at FOSDEM in feb. 3rd, so that will be good to be able to announce the imminent release!
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

yorik wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:38 pm Sorry for the blackout, just came back from vacation.
I had a few of those vacations in my youth. ;)
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

wandererfan wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:39 am
yorik wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:38 pm Sorry for the blackout, just came back from vacation.
I had a few of those vacations in my youth. ;)
:lol:
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

I mentioned it in Gitter/IRC but figured it was worth posting here as well:

https://mentors.debian.net/package/opencascade

I have a package under review/revisement for OCCT 7.2 in Debian Sid (Unstable). Once this gets in to Sid, it also means the package will be in the upcoming Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver as well as being available in daily builds before the release. Hopefully this will help make sure 0.17 will be available in both Ubuntu 18.04 as well as the maybe-not-that-far-off Debian 10 release.

It's a bit slow going because while I already had a functional package, I'm trying to make it nicer by utilizing Debian's new GitLab instance at salsa.debian.org, which means learning the git-buildpackage tool gbp and revising the package to use it (via https://salsa.debian.org/kkremitzki-guest/opencascade) but hopefully the package will be available in the next 2 weeks.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.