GSOC 2018

Contributions from the participants, questions and answers to their projects.
Discussions of proposals for upcoming events.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Re: GSOC 2018 Calling for Ideas (FC is signed up through BRLCAD which has been accepted as an org!)

Post by yorik »

wandererfan wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:20 pm Shamelessly cribbed from last year's page: Google_Summer_of_Code_2018
Great! I added a line to tell people to look at past ideas too
kkremitzki
Veteran

Re: GSOC 2018 Calling for Ideas (Please start submitting proposals (remember to look at past proposals as well))

Post by kkremitzki »

The Configuration Management Project seems pretty interesting this year. Although I did GSoC last summer I am also eligible to apply this summer as well, although it really depends on how my job search goes pre/post graduation in May. If I do apply, it'll probably be for this one since it lines up well with my packaging work lately.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: GSOC 2018 Calling for Ideas (FC is signed up through BRLCAD which has been accepted as an org!)

Post by wandererfan »

yorik wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:50 pm Great! I added a line to tell people to look at past ideas too
Are all the items from 2017 still valid, or should we tag the ones that are not relevant this year?
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: GSOC 2018 Calling for Ideas (Please start submitting proposals (remember to look at past proposals as well))

Post by Kunda1 »

kkremitzki wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:05 am The Configuration Management Project seems pretty interesting this year. Although I did GSoC last summer I am also eligible to apply this summer as well, although it really depends on how my job search goes pre/post graduation in May. If I do apply, it'll probably be for this one since it lines up well with my packaging work lately.
+1 :ugeek:
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

kkremitzki wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:05 am The Configuration Management Project seems pretty interesting this year. Although I did GSoC last summer I am also eligible to apply this summer as well, although it really depends on how my job search goes pre/post graduation in May. If I do apply, it'll probably be for this one since it lines up well with my packaging work lately.
Maybe a new thread, I'd like to discuss this.
"fight the good fight"
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

Unified Measurement Facility: There are currently several ways of measuring objects in FreeCAD: Draft Dimensions, TechDraw Dimensions, Manipulator Caliper, Part Measure. A single method of measuring objects would smooth workflow and reduce learning time.

C++, Python

Medium/Medium??

Any opinions?
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

wandererfan wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:12 pmAre all the items from 2017 still valid, or should we tag the ones that are not relevant this year?
I believe all of them are still valid, none was implemented... In any case, they are just ideas, it doesn't harm to have many
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

the ones from FEM are with the exception of elmer since it was implemented in last year sommer of code.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

wandererfan wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:53 am Unified Measurement Facility: There are currently several ways of measuring objects in FreeCAD: Draft Dimensions, TechDraw Dimensions, Manipulator Caliper, Part Measure. A single method of measuring objects would smooth workflow and reduce learning time.
+1

This has been mentioned a few times by newcomers. The Part Measure toolbar was a good start, it needs to be expanded (or replaced with something else), and it should get out of the Part workbench and be global, available to most workbenches.
m42kus

Post by m42kus »

HoWil wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:53 am Bernd and I agreed on mentoring an 'polish the solver-framework' project. The aim is to write several unit tests for all newly introduced framework related parts of FEM-wb. This does not only target the Elmer-integration done last year but could also include tests for VTK-postprocessing or similar.
This is realy needed since FEM is growing fast but without unit-test it is hard to keep track which is maybe broken due to newly added features (as everywhere :D ).
BR,
HoWil
Hey, thanks for you willingness to mentor this topic. Extending FEMs test-code is super important for the future of the workbench. Right now there are only 2 or 3 tests I think, but many people working on the codebase integrating new solvers. There where a few cases in the last months were new changes broke stuff for some people.

I already worked on the FEM workbench during GSOC last year (on the "Elmer Integration" project). I'd like to apply this year again to work on the test-code of the workbench. Should I already post a proposal? The official period starts at March 12th I think.

regargs,
Markus
My GSoC Devlog: ceeli.github.io/gsoc