Topological Naming, My Take

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Topological Naming, My Take

Post by NormandC »

Shoot okay, since you mentioned you created deb packages for a PPA, I assumed you used either Ubuntu or Debian... I do understand that Gentoo is a completely different ballgame :?
ezzieyguywuf

Post by ezzieyguywuf »

Yea, I did all the deb stuff in a virtual machine running ubuntu, however I do most of my development work in Gentoo.
__lb__

Post by __lb__ »

Is this something that eventually will be merged? I can't find any discussion regarding this fork.
print_21

Post by print_21 »

hi @realthunder.

thanks for your amazing work on topological naming in freecad.

it is a huge inspiration to me about my recent job in using occt like below.
111.png
111.png (23.7 KiB) Viewed 2416 times
222.png
222.png (22.58 KiB) Viewed 2416 times
the shape is a Boolean operation result. the inner bigger radius is 80 mm,
when i changed the inner bigger radius to 50 mm, the indices of the inner smaller cylindrical faces is changed (the color order changed).

i have read your document on github, the name of the toposhape is difficult to understand for human

have you ever considered about Json format to arrange the topological naming?
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

print_21 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:13 am i have read your document on github, the name of the toposhape is difficult to understand for human

have you ever considered about Json format to arrange the topological naming?
I have considered about that yet. There is the getElementHistory() function to trace the history of an element using its name. It can be improved to output more readable outputs.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
Wsk8

Post by Wsk8 »

Hello,
Any News about the current state?

Br
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Wsk8 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:21 pm Hello,
Any News about the current state?

Br
After FreeCAD 0.19 gets released the plan is to upstream the topological naming related work done. What is still (heavily) missing is for the interested people to start testing the implementation in practice and to start providing feedback. If you are interested in that please download the binaries here:

https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD_ ... 3/releases

Do some tests regarding topological naming and compare the results with official binaries:

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... g/0.19_pre

Feedback and observations welcomed.
tsadowski

Post by tsadowski »

Hi,

I am tracking the source. In a fresh build today I made a part design test. Test object was a simple brick with a 2 edge fillet.
Both changing the sketch and inserting another fillet worked. The change to the sketch worked flawlessly. When I inserted another fillet, I got this:

Code: Select all

Recompute failed! Please check report view.
<Exception> Invalid edge link
34.2775 <App> Document.cpp(3968): Failed to recompute Test_Basis#Fillet: Invalid edge link
Recompute failed! Please check report view.
The issue was resolved when I opened the failed fillet for editing.

Cheers,
Torsten
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

tsadowski wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:52 pm The issue was resolved when I opened the failed fillet for editing.
Thanks for testing. This is a designed behavior. The new topo name is designed to be able to detect topological changes. It can also be used to trace back model history. If the topo name is changed, it is possible to deduce the new element reference through history tracing. But the end result(s) is ambiguous, so the logic implemented here is to inform user about the topological changes through the error, and force him to edit the shape for visual confirmation. When editing is triggered, the history tracing will be performed to try to auto resolve the missing element reference.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Thanks for testing and providing feedback Torsten.