Topological Naming, My Take

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Re: Topological Naming, My Take

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

Please can you check if your topo naming improvement care about the faces if I change the order from thickness after or before a pocket:
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

This is a tough one. On paper, my scheme should just work, because the shape history is encoded into the text name. It should, in theory, be able to trace back history even if the historical shapes are gone. But in practice, I need to do quite a few adjustment to make it work. Hope I didn't break any existing stuff. Need to do more testing.

Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Topo naming is a very hard nut to crack. :cry:
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Any news concerning topo naming?
Please let me know.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

Not much. I haven't release the last improvement yet, the one shown in the last screen cast. Mostly been busy with STEP import/export stuff. I plan to release it in early next month.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

freecad-heini-1 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 7:40 am Any news concerning topo naming?
Please let me know.
I just released a new version. Please try the reordering problem you mentioned earlier.
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

ezzieyguywuf wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:30 am
freecad-heini-1 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:37 am Hopefully my example can help you to improve your great work for to solve topo naming issues.
Best regards
Wilfried
What a great stress test! You've inspired me to try to create an "AppImage" like realthunder has with my own toponaming branch, so that folks like you can toy around with it and provide such wonderful constructive feedback.

One note: that weird "glitch" (I think you call it "modern art" later in the video :-P) that starts showing up between the fillet and the chamfer: I don't know this for a fact, but I bet you that's an opencascade issue, and not a realthunder issue.

I'm anxious to try your stress test on my TopoManager branch of freecad!
Hi ezzieyguywuf,
what about your appimage for a stresstest?
Please could you create a video to show good your solution is to solve topo naming.

Thank you so much and best regards
Wilfried
ezzieyguywuf

Post by ezzieyguywuf »

freecad-heini-1 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:59 pm Hi ezzieyguywuf,
what about your appimage for a stresstest?
Please could you create a video to show good your solution is to solve topo naming.

Thank you so much and best regards
Wilfried
@freecad-heini-1, I've been working on this slowly but surely since the post you quoted. It's been quite a long process, but I'm actually pretty close. What I've accomplished so far is:
  1. Packaged my OccWrapper and TopoManagers libraries as deb files, and uploaded to a ppa
  2. Extended both libraries to include a python module
  3. (earlier today)Finally got FreeCAD to build on my system using a python virtualenv for Shiboken2 and PySide2
The next step should be rather straightforward - I plan to make a bare-bones "Part2" workbench that simply pulls in the python modules from my two libraries, which should allow for some basic testing in FreeCAD.

I won't make any promises though, because you know how these things tend to go :lol:
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

ezzieyguywuf wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:13 pm (earlier today)Finally got FreeCAD to build on my system using a python virtualenv for Shiboken2 and PySide2
What system are you using? Debian unstable and testing have pyside2 and shiboken2, as well as our own FreeCAD Maintainers freecad-stable and freecad-daily PPAs for Ubuntu 18.04 and 18.10 (thanks to kkremitzki's work). It's pretty straightforward to compile FreeCAD with Python3 and Qt5 now, provided you have added either PPA to your software sources and install the right dependencies.
ezzieyguywuf

Post by ezzieyguywuf »

NormandC wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:21 pm What system are you using? Debian unstable and testing have pyside2 and shiboken2, as well as our own FreeCAD Maintainers freecad-stable and freecad-daily PPAs for Ubuntu 18.04 and 18.10 (thanks to kkremitzki's work). It's pretty straightforward to compile FreeCAD with Python3 and Qt5 now, provided you have added either PPA to your software sources and install the right dependencies.
I'm using Gentoo.