Topological Naming, My Take

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Mark Szlazak
Posts: 303
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:06 pm
Location: California, USA

Re: Topological Naming, My Take

Postby Mark Szlazak » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:57 pm

freecad-heini-1 wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:54 pm
I did a test with partdesign, but I see no possibility to create a taper outward angle, later in the design history.
And I didn't know how to create a feature inbetween two others. I played around with tip, but there was a sketch which lost it's face or something else. I'm not a fan from partdesign.
I know how to move an object after an other feature, but that whole linking system seems to be not really logical to me as well as the containers and its placements. PartDesign has some maniac restrictions, I hope some of them are unneeded after topo naming will be solved.
Can you please go over the problems you have with the PartDesign workbench in a new thread. I would like to understand the issues better. Thank you.
Mark Szlazak
Posts: 303
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:06 pm
Location: California, USA

Re: Topological Naming, My Take

Postby Mark Szlazak » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:58 pm

realthunder wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:36 am
freecad-heini-1 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:05 am
Whow realthunder. Very nice!!!
Thank you so much.
New version is released. You can also test the PartDesign. When the PartDesign fillet/chamfer is broken, to get back old shape while in the fillet editing tool, you can either click 'Cancel' or 'Undo'.
Just a quick question. Under what topics would this topological naming problem be found in the computer science literature? Thank you.
freecad-heini-1
Posts: 4769
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:10 am
Contact:

Re: Topological Naming, My Take

Postby freecad-heini-1 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:04 pm

Mark Szlazak wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:58 pm
Just a quick question. Under what topics would this topological naming problem be found in the computer science literature? Thank you.
Please look here:
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Naming_project
http://www.maruf.ca/files/caadoc/CAATop ... Definition
http://www.maruf.ca/files/caadoc/CAAMmr ... Naming.htm
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/do ... 1&type=pdf
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/do ... 1&type=pdf

And please use the forum search engine.
Mark Szlazak
Posts: 303
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:06 pm
Location: California, USA

Re: Topological Naming, My Take

Postby Mark Szlazak » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:13 pm

freecad-heini-1 wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:04 pm
Mark Szlazak wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:58 pm
Just a quick question. Under what topics would this topological naming problem be found in the computer science literature? Thank you.
Please look here:
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Naming_project
http://www.maruf.ca/files/caadoc/CAATop ... Definition
http://www.maruf.ca/files/caadoc/CAAMmr ... Naming.htm
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/do ... 1&type=pdf
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/do ... 1&type=pdf

And please use the forum search engine.
Thank you. Would you think these are under any broader categories in the CS literature like persistent data structures, graph theory, hash functions, encryption?
freecad-heini-1
Posts: 4769
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:10 am
Contact:

Re: Topological Naming, My Take

Postby freecad-heini-1 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:53 pm

Mark Szlazak wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:13 pm
Thank you. Would you think these are under any broader categories in the CS literature like persistent data structures, graph theory, hash functions, encryption?
Sorry Mark, my English is not good enough as well as my knowledge in what you are asking for. I know what Freecad topo-naming issues are and I'm willed and motivated to help here to test the work from realthunder and ezzieyguywuf from user side with my stresstest.
What is your intention here?

Best regards
Wilfried
Mark Szlazak
Posts: 303
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:06 pm
Location: California, USA

Re: Topological Naming, My Take

Postby Mark Szlazak » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:29 pm

freecad-heini-1 wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:53 pm
Mark Szlazak wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:13 pm
Thank you. Would you think these are under any broader categories in the CS literature like persistent data structures, graph theory, hash functions, encryption?
Sorry Mark, my English is not good enough as well as my knowledge in what you are asking for. I know what Freecad topo-naming issues are and I'm willed and motivated to help here to test the work from realthunder and ezzieyguywuf from user side with my stresstest.
What is your intention here?

Best regards
Wilfried
I would like to know if this problem falls under a broader class of problems in CS that are not necessarily having to do with CAD. If so then there might be a mathematical theory, data structures and algorithms associated with it.
realthunder
Posts: 807
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:55 am

Re: Topological Naming, My Take

Postby realthunder » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:45 pm

Mark Szlazak wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:29 pm
I would like to know if this problem falls under a broader class of problems in CS that are not necessarily having to do with CAD. If so then there might be a mathematical theory, data structures and algorithms associated with it.
hmm... and I thought you are into this research direction since you posted a link to some research paper about this topic in my assembly thread. In that paper, they talked about how others deal with this problem. It seems to me that they are all approaching this problem in a more engineering way, rather than theoretical way.
Try Assembly3 (latest version 0.8.6) along with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you like to show your support, you can find the donate button at here.
Mark Szlazak
Posts: 303
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:06 pm
Location: California, USA

Re: Topological Naming, My Take

Postby Mark Szlazak » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:49 pm

realthunder wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:45 pm
Mark Szlazak wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:29 pm
I would like to know if this problem falls under a broader class of problems in CS that are not necessarily having to do with CAD. If so then there might be a mathematical theory, data structures and algorithms associated with it.
hmm... and I thought you are into this research direction since you posted a link to some research paper about this topic in my assembly thread. In that paper, they talked about how others deal with this problem. It seems to me that they are all approaching this problem in a more engineering way, rather than theoretical way.
Yeah. I was wondering why there was no mention of mathematical theory to all this.
freecad-heini-1
Posts: 4769
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:10 am
Contact:

Re: Topological Naming, My Take

Postby freecad-heini-1 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:20 am

Mark Szlazak wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:49 pm
realthunder wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:45 pm
Mark Szlazak wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:29 pm
I would like to know if this problem falls under a broader class of problems in CS that are not necessarily having to do with CAD. If so then there might be a mathematical theory, data structures and algorithms associated with it.
hmm... and I thought you are into this research direction since you posted a link to some research paper about this topic in my assembly thread. In that paper, they talked about how others deal with this problem. It seems to me that they are all approaching this problem in a more engineering way, rather than theoretical way.
Yeah. I was wondering why there was no mention of mathematical theory to all this.
Hi Mark. A very good hint. Can you help in this direction?
Best regards
Wilfried
Mark Szlazak
Posts: 303
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:06 pm
Location: California, USA

Re: Topological Naming, My Take

Postby Mark Szlazak » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:14 pm

freecad-heini-1 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:20 am
Mark Szlazak wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:49 pm
realthunder wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:45 pm
Mark Szlazak wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:29 pm
I would like to know if this problem falls under a broader class of problems in CS that are not necessarily having to do with CAD. If so then there might be a mathematical theory, data structures and algorithms associated with it.
hmm... and I thought you are into this research direction since you posted a link to some research paper about this topic in my assembly thread. In that paper, they talked about how others deal with this problem. It seems to me that they are all approaching this problem in a more engineering way, rather than theoretical way.
Yeah. I was wondering why there was no mention of mathematical theory to all this.
Hi Mark. A very good hint. Can you help in this direction?
Best regards
Wilfried
Wish i could. I need to get more background but the big issue with me now is more time. I can slowly pick up the former but have not enough extra of the latter right now. Work, continuing ed classes in CAD, house remodeling, etc. Not a good year.