Sketcher Bug: External Linked Geometry doesn't use Reference Dimension

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
vern.zimm

Sketcher Bug: External Linked Geometry doesn't use Reference Dimension

Post by vern.zimm »

Greetings,

This seems to be a fairly significant bug, but I have looked here and on tracker and don't see anything about it yet. Sketcher attempts to dimension externally linked geometry as "Normal (red)" rather than "Reference (blue)" when another non-external feature has been created. (circles at least, didn't test more). Before creation of other features, the external linked dimension works as expected. I am fairly certain this is a 0.17 issue, because I can't imagine I wouldn't have encountered it when using 0.16 the past few years.

System is
--Win 7 Pro
--FreeCAD 0.17.13522

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 2678310285

.zip File contains
--Logs relating to the original model where I found the issue
--Screenshot showing incorrect behavior
--Instructions and Python Console log to reproduce

Thank You,
vern.

Note: .zip file references 0.17.13509, but I forgot to change after updating and verifying on .13522.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Sketcher Bug: External Linked Geometry doesn't use Reference Dimension

Post by chrisb »

External geometry has always been red (or rather purple). Everything works as expected. Construction geometry within a sketch is blue.

It is much easier to understand what you want if you include the instructions here in the forum. All this clicking here and there seems to be unnecessary.
For others, here it is:
New Document
Create Stock Cylinder
Move Cylinder Z-10 (top face on Z=0, necessary?)
Menu "Part->Refine Shape" (to start sketch at part face Z=0, not translated -10, necessary?)
Select Part, "Part Design" Workbench, Create New Body
Create New Sketch, Set to XY Plane, Select 3x check box, leave radio button on "independent copy"
Create edge linked to external geometry.
Create a line or other sketch feature (anywhere)
Select edge linked circle
Click radius dimension (Normal or Reference, both should create a reference)
Creates a Normal dimension and Sketcher becomes unresponsive.
Closing and Re-opening Sketch without using Menu "Part Design->Validate Sketch" and deleting constraints to external geom. causes FreeCAD to become unresponsive.
And here is the image:
Attachments
Radius on External Geom. is not Reference Dim.jpg
Radius on External Geom. is not Reference Dim.jpg (15.58 KiB) Viewed 1262 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
vern.zimm

Post by vern.zimm »

chrisb wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 3:24 pm External geometry has always been red (or rather purple). Everything works as expected. Construction geometry within a sketch is blue.
Not referring to the geometry itself... I understand the Red, Purple, Blue.

I mean the dimensions, Red is "Normal" and Blue is Reference.
External geometry is always Blue because it is a reference dimension, it can't be edited to change the size.
As you can see in the image, the dimension for the purple arc is red...
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

The purple line is only the reference line. The red line is the drawing line... This is normal behaviour (for more cad packages)
May be it is an idea to make the purple line thinner and/ or dashed so it is more ambiguous.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Jee-Bee wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:26 pm May be it is an idea to make the purple line thinner and/ or dashed so it is more ambiguous.
You probably mean less ambiguous. Dashed might lead to problems, because you might want to select a point on the dashed line at the position of a gap. I think it is enough to have the special colour.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

vern.zimm wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 5:05 pm As you can see in the image, the dimension for the purple arc is red...
How did you manage to have a red radius constraint on a purple external geometry?

Radius constraint just takes one geometry, so if it is purple (external geometry), it should come out blue.

EDIT: May this is one of those issues where Windows (I heard) does not crash on exception and just "hungs". I say this, because this may be related to the bug:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 51#p235829
vern.zimm

Post by vern.zimm »

abdullah wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 10:11 pm
EDIT: May this is one of those issues where Windows (I heard) does not crash on exception and just "hungs". I say this, because this may be related to the bug:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 51#p235829
I read your other post and it is probably related, but I am still using .13522. I do not have the means to compile myself to test, so I will have to wait until next release unless someone wants to compile WIN64 for me.
abdullah wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 10:11 pm
How did you manage to have a red radius constraint on a purple external geometry?
Yes, this, exactly. I don't know, but it's broken. It is not the same as other post, but very likely related (note he is using 13509 in other post). It does not crash, but the sketch becomes "locked", so that I can't edit anything until I delete external geometry. It happens only after creating other features. If I dimension external arc/circle first when opening a new sketch, then it gives blue reference dimension. Please see my first post for all info (logs, instructions to reproduce etc).

Thank you for your help.