fun with occt 7.3 defeaturing

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
tanderson69
Veteran

fun with occt 7.3 defeaturing

Post by tanderson69 »

A new operation was introduced in occt 7.3 called defeaturing. It works by removing faces from a solid and then trying to close the hole by extending the faces that remain. I took some time and ran some basic tests. Referencing the picture below: The left picture shows the input solid and the white faces to remove. The right picture shows the result of the defeaturing operation. Everything worked great with the exception of test 3. Which is surprising, as test 3 is a simpler case of test 7, which worked. I tried modeling test 3 a couple different ways, but could not get it to work. Anyway it is a great addition to occt modeling.

results.png
results.png (190.31 KiB) Viewed 1749 times
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Re: fun with occt 7.3 defeaturing

Post by Jee-Bee »

Nice for FEM removing holes, not working radii etc
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

Cool feature :ugeek:
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

Nice :)
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

Nice to see this feature.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

In Solid Edge (Parasolid-based) there is a similar utility and I find it extremely useful.

It would be really great if some FreeCAD developer were to add GUI tools in FreeCAD to use this new OCCT feature. One who already experimented with it. Hint, hint. ;)

Would the Reverse Engineering workbench be a good place for such a utility?
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Jee-Bee wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:49 pm Nice for FEM removing holes, not working radii etc
something like this ... https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 98#p238398 If that would work it would be as good as all the CompSolid stuff we got with occt 6.9 and DeepSoics BooleanFragments in FreeCAD
tanderson69
Veteran

Post by tanderson69 »

bernd wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:59 am something like this ... https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 98#p238398 If that would work ...
That solid fails the normal check geometry(not bopcheck). I would call that 'corrupt' and I would guess most modeling algorithms will fail with that as input. IMHO: a manual fix is the only solution. Extract faces, fill voids with new faces and a sew operation. Something as simple as that, I would just start from scratch using the imported geometry as only a guide.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

OCCT 7.3 is now in the Debian NEW queue waiting for the upgrade to be approved, by the way.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
tanderson69
Veteran

Post by tanderson69 »

kkremitzki wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:28 pm OCCT 7.3 is now in the Debian NEW queue waiting for the upgrade to be approved, by the way.
thank you.