TODO for PartDesign pattern feature

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
NormandC

Re: TODO for PartDesign pattern feature

Postby NormandC » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:21 pm

OK guys. I just feared that there would not be such functionality anymore, but if we get it in v0.14 from another tool, I'm OK with that.

Can't wait for v0.14 development to start! ;)
jriegel wrote:By the way, what you have there in your design is a Hole-Feature on both sides counter-sunk. You don't want to do that normally "by hand" with a pocket (if we would have already a hole feature :) ).
You are right of course! This was the first example that came to me because I had just answered someone in the Help forum with this exact case.
logari81

Postby logari81 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:05 am

custom sketch axes as linear pattern direction or as mirror plane are implemented in my PartDesignPattern branch:
c303be6569b363898fdba3807bb98bfe7ba591ac
will soon be merged into master also.

http://ubuntuone.com/17MhQH90dRDKXIgbM6n4Mv
jrheinlaender

Postby jrheinlaender » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:19 am

actually it would be better if the transformations (pcMultiTransform->Transformations.getValues();) were completely removed from the treeview. They are just dummy features, if the user double clicks to edit them, changes do not propagate correctly. From the user point of view this will be considered as a bug, hence it would be better to hide these features.
There is now a bug report about this issue: https://sourceforge.net/apps/mantisbt/f ... hp?id=1139

How do we go about making a feature in the tree invisible?
din743

Postby din743 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:52 pm

Maybe this has been discussed already or is very difficult to implement at the moment but i don't like the current multitransform feature. In my opinion you should be able to combine multiple transform features but have them listed as separate features. So for example you first do a linear pattern and then afterwards when you do for example a mirror the linear pattern should be a feature that can be selected as the feature that should be mirrored. Now you should always use a multitransform feature if there is the possibility in the future that you will use extra transform features. For example if i now design a part with only a linear pattern and later i decide that i need to mirror this linear pattern i have to delete the linear pattern and use a multitransform feature. I think it is much more intuitive if i just mirror the linear pattern.
I also have noticed you need to be careful with the sequence in which you apply transform features. If you don't put the transform feature directly after the feature you want to transform you get strange results, see for example the attached file (linear_pattern_problem).
The current implementation also seems to allow that you use the same feature for multiple transform features but this also leads to strange results (see attached file: linear_pattern_L_problem).

Platform: 32-bit
Version: 0.13.1828
Python version: 2.6.2
Qt version: 4.5.2
Coin version: 3.1.0
SoQt version: 1.4.1
OCC version: 6.3.0
Attachments
linear_pattern_L_problem.FCStd
(11.78 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
linear_pattern_problem.FCStd
(15.11 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
jrheinlaender

Postby jrheinlaender » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:56 pm

din743 wrote:Maybe this has been discussed already or is very difficult to implement at the moment but i don't like the current multitransform feature.
{/quote]
But others like it :-) Of course, if you (are someone else) implement the functionality you like better I'm sure it will be integrated into FC. As jriegel likes to say, there is always more than one way to achieve a result.
Now you should always use a multitransform feature if there is the possibility in the future that you will use extra transform features. For example if i now design a part with only a linear pattern and later i decide that i need to mirror this linear pattern i have to delete the linear pattern and use a multitransform feature.
That is a valid criticism. I made a note to implement a menu item in the context menu that allows a Mirrored etc. feature to be changed into a MultiTransform.
I also have noticed you need to be careful with the sequence in which you apply transform features. If you don't put the transform feature directly after the feature you want to transform you get strange results
This problem should hopefully be solved in the new PartDesign 0.14 "Body" implementation. If you have the possibility to compile a git branch, it would be great if you could try to reproduce the issues on this branch:

https://github.com/jrheinlaender/FreeCA ... partdesign
The current implementation also seems to allow that you use the same feature for multiple transform features but this also leads to strange results (see attached file: linear_pattern_L_problem).
I'll check this out in the development branch.

Thanks for your feedback!

Jan