Merging of my Link branch

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
easyw-fc
Veteran

Re: Merging of my Link branch

Post by easyw-fc »

fosselius wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:28 pm Just to clarify, you mean that LinkStage3 should be tested by FEM users. Not asm3 that is a python workbench for LinkStage3 that is the actual fork of freecad ^_^
Yes :)
tmolteno

Post by tmolteno »

triplus wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:19 am ...Links effort should be merged as a whole and that should happen in the next development cycle. That likely comes down to Q1/2019 or after.

But said that if general agreement will be gathered to do it differently. And it gets decided Links (branch) effort should be merged as a whole and it is justified to bend a release plan for it. I don't have problems with that. Anyway i tried but i don't feel the suggested core Links related PR strategy was accepted ATM. As a sensible strategy on how to try to tackle this and to move things forward. Therefore i guess indeed best to wait for Werner to say what he feels and work with that after.
I hope the window for merging this comes well before Q1 2019. Mind you, if users just shift to freecad2 (assembly3 fork), backporting to the old freecad might no matter so much.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

tmolteno wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:28 am I hope the window for merging this comes well before Q1 2019. Mind you, if users just shift to freecad2 (assembly3 fork), backporting to the old freecad might no matter so much.
Just no. I hope Q1 is out 0.18 the current python 3 Qt5 master.
After that there are the possebilities to merge link3.
After all asm3 is never be Freecad 2 or what so ever... it is just a huge developmemt branch.
Witj thr luxory that ot could be downloaded and used!!
Zerginator

Post by Zerginator »

Jee-Bee wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:34 am After all asm3 is never be Freecad 2 or what so ever... it is just a huge developmemt branch.
Thats the question, what happens without a merge. I for instance use the Assembly3 branch like a FreeCAD 2 version.
It might be buggy and incomplete, but the main branch without Assembly is missing THE important feature and therefore is twice as incomplete.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

there become a merge... but not this developement cylce
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

fosselius wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:32 pm 247 DeepSOIC <- not yet mature, more testing needed first (tested 0.7)
I would like to correct. There are two things I don't conceptually like about it: Visibility in App domain, and multipass recompute. There is a ton of things I do like, but I didn't test unfortunately. And so, apart from these two, I would totally like to see it merged.
tmolteno

Post by tmolteno »

Zerginator wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:52 pm Thats the question, what happens without a merge. I for instance use the Assembly3 branch like a FreeCAD 2 version.
It might be buggy and incomplete, but the main branch without Assembly is missing THE important feature and therefore is twice as incomplete.
I agree. The old freecad is ideal for those who already depend on its stability and can live without assembly code (obviously they can because they're already using it). For these users, stability matters more than new features. For other users, assemblies are a feature without which a CAD system is fundamentally broken, and emphasizing stability in such a system just keeps it broken for longer.

The assembly3 fork behaves like FreeCAD 2, and I think calling it FreeCAD 2 (alpha) has three effects:
* Make users more aware of its existence = better testing leading to more 'maturity'
* Provides developers of other new modules (that depend on assembly) with a codebase to work from without waiting an indefinite time for a merge that may never happen

This means IMHO that, rather than deciding for them, we let users and developers choose between new features and stability. Everyone wins.

http://freecad2.org
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

It's just FreeCAD!!
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

Jee-Bee wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:43 am It's just FreeCAD!!
+1
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

Jee-Bee wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:43 am It's just FreeCAD!!
+1
Zerginator wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:52 pm Thats the question, what happens without a merge. I for instance use the Assembly3 branch like a FreeCAD 2 version.
Are you talking about PartDesign? :lol: