Merging of my Link branch

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Zerginator

Re: Merging of my Link branch

Post by Zerginator »

I must say, I also fear that the is developing more and more into a fork.
This thread is now 4 months old, and it seems somehow, there is no interest in merging.
I would have expected at least a real discussion, if a merge is possible, or what needs to be done to make it possible would happen, but the only thing here is users of the Link branch discussing it and silence from the rest.
It seems the only thing happening with time progressing, is the link branch developing more and more and possibly detaching more and more from the main branch.
Correct me, if I am wrong, but it seems to me, if the is a strong disconnect between a large groupt the userbase, seeing missing assembly as THE dealbreaker (the Assembly 3 and Assembly 2+ threads are among the largest ones around here) since years and on the other side no real interest in this topic from the lead development.
Of course I know this is a free project and I do not want to whine too much here on where you dedicate your time. But on the other hand it would be a real shame to in the ende maybe seeing all this progress and dedication put into assembly here going out of the window.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

it will be merged but python 3 is priority... The merge of this assembly module will have an impact equal or bigger than the part design branch... witch takes 2 YEAR!!
Zerginator

Post by Zerginator »

Thats really good to hear. Thanks for the superquick reply.
And Python3 first definitely makes a lot of sense.
fosselius

Post by fosselius »

Zerginator wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:32 am I must say, I also fear that the is developing more and more into a fork.
This thread is now 4 months old, and it seems somehow, there is no interest in merging.
If you check the comments in other threads, you will see that both wmayer and yorik have had a look at it and most of the developers have had a say. The current sentiment is that this will be dealt with after the release of 0.18. And after that, the code base will probably not be merged as a whole but parts of it will probably be rewritten or modified. to conclude, 0.18 will be based on Py3 and QT5 and will probably cause lots of new bugs, the merge of this fork will not improve the situation. hopefully we will have time to iron out most of the bugs before the 0.19 release end of next year.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

check also the assembly 3 WB what is the follow up of the link branch. There you can find downloads for
For that one i think it is python 2 for now... don't know if @Realthunder have ported it to python3. at least he haven't python 3 downloads.
Zerginator

Post by Zerginator »

Thanks guys, your answers are really appreciated.
Seems I missed out on the most important discussions going on on this.