Merging of my Link branch

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wsteffe

Re: Merging of my Link branch

Post by wsteffe »

wmayer wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:40 pmNot yet.
And at this point I am quite convinced that it will never be considered ....
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

wsteffe wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:36 pm And at this point I am quite convinced that it will never be considered ....
No need for dramatics, this benefits no one and tragically tries to signal for attention and help.

For sure it won't be in 0.18 because 0.18 is specifically for Py3/Qt5 migration and bugfixes. Trying to shimmy Assembly3 in to the release will potentially be releasing a broken 0.18

wmayer did say he'd look at it, that is true. And he's been also busy moving a lot of previous pending issues forward:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 53#p260153

The devs will get to it when they get to it (especially when they say they will)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

wsteffe wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:36 pm
Oh yes?
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

wsteffe wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:36 pm
It is probably not that easy to be the project leader of a budgetless project.

Despite going on with his life and work, which for most of us is a priority, he has always come back with a code review, and even when this code review is not (fully) positive, he generally helps find solutions for the edgy parts.

Werner is a reasonable quality filter that keeps the project going and we all should be thankful to him for dedicating his time.
Kunda1 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:58 pm For sure it won't be in 0.18 because 0.18 is specifically for Py3/Qt5 migration and bugfixes. Trying to shimmy Assembly3 in to the release will potentially be releasing a broken 0.18
+1

Nobody within reason should consider merging something this size before v.18 is released (if Werner happens to merge it I will print this forum post in paper and eat it). There is one month development time left. Most of us should be mostly bug-fixing and writing documentation/translations by now.

I would be very happy that this becomes an important functionality of v.19, hopefully released in 2019.
wsteffe

Post by wsteffe »

wmayer wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:08 pm I would be very happy that this becomes an important functionality of v.19, hopefully released in 2019.
I would also be happy in that case but my guess is that it will never happen.
So I am just hoping that Realthunder will keep on developing his fork which provides an essential funcionality.

Abdullah, I would also like to see (as soon as possible) the merging of your pull request #1421. In fact I do not like to have to recreate in a sketch the linked geometry which is not necessary in other commercial CADs.
From my user perspective I do not care too much if the links are not used in an elegant way and I give more importance to the functionality and to the user experience.

Realthunder (if you are reading this post), considering that there is a little chance to see the merging of your branch in the near term, would it be possible to merge in your fork the pull #1421 (and perhaps also others on the waiting list if they bring substantial impovements) ?

In that way we would have a FreeCAD version which is a little bit richer (with more functionalities).
Some users might prefer this one while other may prefer to stay with the official version which is more conservative and more stable.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

wsteffe wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:10 am So I am just hoping that Realthunder will keep on developing his fork which provides an essential funcionality.
He most probably won't forever. Hopefully, he will keep interest until it is merged. Hopefully everything will match in the not so distant future. It is very difficult to maintain a single man band.
wsteffe wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:10 am Abdullah, I would also like to see (as soon as possible) the merging of your pull request #1421. In fact I do not like to have to recreate in a sketch the linked geometry which is not necessary in other commercial CADs.
From my user perspective I do not care too much if the links are not used in an elegant way and I give more importance to the functionality and to the user experience.
From my developer perspective I hope for Werner to live forever and keep being the filter he is, because I enjoy that the code I see in FC is under control and of a certain quality.

Werner has stopped several of my commits. Some of them I corrected on his request (and BTW I learnt my lesson,... well most of the times). Others he helped me correct them. Others have served as inspiration for a better solution that he later came with and were never merged (were superseded). Others died (they belong to the hall of shame) and particularly #1421 is waiting there because Werner does not like it and I am sure it is for a very good reason. It is not that I love it either, I simply could not find a better solution, which he most probably will. So it is good it is not merged as for now. The time will come.

In about 4 years I have been developing here, he has mostly been right and he is an important part I keep developing here.

BTW, it is not that he is extremely exquisite with my PRs, he is rather pragmatic, proof is that most of them get merged (and you can see his magic fingers after the merge fixing things if you look at the commits after my merges).

I understand the wish and even the need for new functionality and I do like what I see in realhunter's work, but FreeCAD is a long-term project and there is a need for quality and consistency and unfortunately there is only one Werner (cloning him has come to the conversation several times, we have not managed yet :lol: ). Hopefully after code review the decision is that the code meets this strategic goals and it gets merged to the benefit of us all. It does not get better that this without a paycheck (and many times not even with a paycheck if you do not choose the right people)...it is almost a miracle it gets as good as it is...
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

abdullah wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:20 pm From my developer perspective I hope for Werner to live forever and keep being the filter he is, because I enjoy that the code I see in FC is under control and of a certain quality.
@abdullah I really like when you post and participate. I learn a lot about civility and how to strive to more levelheadedness and kindness (your technical knowledge is beyond me).

I hope both you and wmayer live for a long time and continue enjoying to enrich this awesome project.
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:15 pm @abdullah I really like when you post and participate. I learn a lot about civility and how to strive to more levelheadedness and kindness (your technical knowledge is beyond me).
Thank you! But I am really nothing special. Many here are much better than me. I can acknowledge it. Humanity is extremely competitive (and I mean it in the bad sense), as we compete for resources, let it be food, or higher salaries, depending on which side of the world you are. FOSS projects put together people with aligned goals and diverse expertise that do not have to compete or demonstrate they are better than the others in the project (food usually comes from another source). Such a collaborative environment teaches its members to cherish what the others do for the project, because one single of us alone could not do much for the project, and the contribution of every single of us, whatever tiny, makes FreeCAD be what it is.

I have told you several times, your contribution to the discussion, linking topics, joining people that may be interested, managing the bug tracker,... it is a gift for FreeCAD... and FreeCAD is a gift for us all.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

abdullah wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:19 pm
Kunda1 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:15 pm @abdullah I really like when you post and participate. I learn a lot about civility and how to strive to more levelheadedness and kindness (your technical knowledge is beyond me).
I have told you several times, your contribution to the discussion, linking topics, joining people that may be interested, managing the bug tracker,... it is a gift for FreeCAD... and FreeCAD is a gift for us all.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

wsteffe wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:10 am Realthunder (if you are reading this post), considering that there is a little chance to see the merging of your branch in the near term, would it be possible to merge in your fork the pull #1421 (and perhaps also others on the waiting list if they bring substantial impovements) ?
Yeah, of course I am following my own post. I just did a refactoring about the expression, which is big enough to warrant a dedicated wiki document that I am going to write soon. It happens that I am actually planning to work on sketch external geometry next, not specific to abdullah's PR, but should be inclusive.

abdullah wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:20 pm He most probably won't forever. Hopefully, he will keep interest until it is merged. Hopefully everything will match in the not so distant future. It is very difficult to maintain a single man band.
I feel the same. Developing FC is taking more and more of my time. It has stretched far beyond of my originally intention. It is hard to start something without finish it, but then it seems never ending, which is not surprising. Maybe I can make a career out of it, looking for some funding on this. Maybe the university I live nearby will be interested...
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal