Merging of my Link branch

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Merging of my Link branch

Post by NormandC »

tmolteno wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:59 pm When I read an earlier comment complaining that merging this may delay the next stable release
I was not complaining. I was stating a fact. :roll:

tmolteno wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:59 pm assemblies in general are critical
I do agree that assemblies are very important but man, are we seeing melodramatics in this topic (and I do realize the irony of me saying this ;) ). And I'm the one you accused of complaining! :roll: Do you know AutoCAD? It does not have assemblies, it does not even have parametrics and it is still the most used 3D CAD program on the planet. I'm not saying it's great, I used it for work for 10 years and I would not want to go back to it. Heck no! But you can get by with it. And FreeCAD, without an assembly workbench is already heaps better.

So people, take a deep breath, calm down, be patient and take a long, hard look at what ppemawm does in plain FreeCAD without any constraint-based assembly workbench whatsoever.

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 30#p248529

kkremitzki wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:14 am This is probably premature.
Understatement of the year.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Hi @realthunder

To prevent further trolling attempts and fruitless debates just bite the bullet and go after the next step. Gut the core Links effort out of your branch and create a PR. And let the real work begin. This is the normal procedure in the end on how to tackle such things.
fosselius

Post by fosselius »

I will just leave this here, number of commits / developer on the LinkStage3 branch (that gets re-based against master now and then).
Now a commit is not a great way of measuring time/effort, but at least it gives some indication on who of the developers that have a bit more "weight" to their words then others.

We should go through the comments/feedback and fill it in here. This is taken from memory and might be totally off..

Code: Select all

git shortlog -sn 
  4178  wmayer                 <- wont take sides? keeps silent.
  2158  Yorik van Havre      <- not yet mature, more testing needed first (tested 0.7)
   958  Bernd Hahnebach
   752  Zheng, Lei              <- author of LinkStage3
   556  Markus Lampert
   524  Abdullah Tahiri
   495  jriegel              <- past core developer, first thing FreeCAD screams once it starts, inactive since 2016/17 ish?
   441  WandererFan
   439  Stefan Tröger           <- ickby, have opposed many of the changes? inactive for the last few months.
   355  Przemo Firszt
   247  DeepSOIC                 <- dislikes Visibility in App domain, and multipass recompute. Want to merge.
   247  jrheinlaender
   206  wwmayer
   200  sliptonic
   192  Sebastian Hoogen
   187  Eivind Kvedalen
   150  logari81
   138  looooo                           <------ MERGE!
   124  Jose Luis Cercos Pita
   124  Jose Luis Cercós pita
   121  Alexander Golubev
   103  yorikvanhavre
    88  Kurt Kremitzki
    84  Ian Rees
    83  wandererfan
    78  luz.paz
    76  Alexander Gryson
    73  blobfish
    65  luzpaz
    54  Mateusz Skowroński
    51  ml
    51  triplus                                    <- Break out Link and merge!
    48  AjinkyaDahale
    44  Jose Luis Cercós Pita
    39  Jean-Marie Verdun
    37  jmaustpc
    34  Bruce B. Lacey
    34  Sergo
    34  tomate44
    32  Jose Luis Cercos-Pita
    32  Peter Lama
    30  balazs-bamer
    30  qingfengxia
    30  vdwalts
    28  Jonathan Wiedemann
    27  Shai Seger
    26  Unknown
    23  Lorenz Hüdepohl
    21  Keith Sloan
    21  joha2
    18  Markus Hovorka
    18  Pekka Roivainen
    18  Priit Laes
    17  Johannes Reinhardt
    17  Kunda
    17  Pablo Gil
    17  wood galaxy
    15  makkemal
    14  Itai Nahshon
    14  Johannes Obermayr
    14  Sabin Iacob
    14  kgoao
    14  pekkaroi
    14  sgrogan
    13  Alex Gryson
    13  mdinger
    12  Dan Falck
    12  J.L. Cercos-Pita
    12  unknown
    11  Amritpal Singh
    11  easyw
    11  mrlukeparry
    11  tanderson
    10  Jan Rheinländer
    10  Joachim Zettler
    10  SparkyCola
Last edited by fosselius on Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Well i guess we could weight things for another week or so. Or i guess measure? ;) Feel free to do that. But OK if we have to weight:

I will wait for the PR (as suggested) and do some further weighting and things like that after.

P.S. As for others do whatever you feel should be done. I in the end can accept any outcome that moves us forward in some common sense way and hopefully by reaching measurable level of agreement. And don't have issues with that.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

May be we can think to release v0.18 (so many improvements in the sketcher to worth a new release imo) and have a v0.19 for a new heavy development release to see what can happen...
fosselius

Post by fosselius »

what i think many misses is that linkstage3 is rebased against master. a merge is just a button press away. LinkStage3 is exactly how FreeCAD master will look like when merged. so test the appimages realthunder releases, because that is what we will get if/when the merge occurs. or just build linkstage3 yourself.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

fosselius wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:47 pm a merge is just a button press away.
Yes but all the difficulties too. Do you remember the time before the release of 0.17?
I'm with @easyw-fc in this point
fosselius

Post by fosselius »

Jee-Bee wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:09 pm
fosselius wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:47 pm a merge is just a button press away.
Yes but all the difficulties too. Do you remember the time before the release of 0.17?
I'm with @easyw-fc in this point
This is a bit unfair. Then we did not have appimages to test out before the merge. And this time in contrast to PDN merge, sketcher and part design workflow works! I do remember the day i checked out the code, built and got horrified. But after a week or two in time for me to get used to the new workflow, many of the more serious issues was resolved. The big issue there was that the workflow / specification of features changed several times.

What i believe we need to test more is FEM and i guess Arch. But for my daily needs it works just fine. it is actually way better then master! As i do not get fillets on random edges when i work and i got links and assembly <3
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

fosselius wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:19 pm This is a bit unfair. Then we did not have appimages to test out before the merge. And this time in contrast to PDN merge, sketcher and part design workflow works! I do remember the day i checked out the code, built and got horrified. But after a week or two in time for me to get used to the new workflow, many of the more serious issues was resolved. The big issue there was that the workflow / specification of features changed several times.

What i believe we need to test more is FEM and i guess Arch. But for my daily needs it works just fine. it is actually way better then master! As i do not get fillets on random edges when i work and i got links and assembly <3
I don't see any issue in publish a new stable release and then go to the wild in the next 0.19... that was a suggested option some time ago anyway...
I don't see any hurry ... It seems you forget what the main two devs have done in the past years...
Why do you think we need to rush? If you complain to have an A3 branch, you can still use what you have now....
EDIT: P.S. @wmayer has already referred @realthunder work here
https://www.forum.freecadweb.org/viewto ... 20#p250089

Keep calm @wmayer will come in :)
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

For me personal is python 3 far more important. I personal use it at least 3 or 4 years and i never understand why we stick with an old version.
For what i need on assembly level at home was assembly 2 enough.