Merging of my Link branch

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
abdullah
Veteran

Re: Merging of my Link branch

Post by abdullah »

Werner must be on holidays as he is abnormally silent.

This won't be merged until he comes back. As far as I know, he is basically the only one who can review and decide on a merge for this kind of "big amount of c++ work" (unless somebody manages to get jriegel back ;) ).
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

abdullah wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:24 pm (unless somebody manages to get jriegel back ;) ).
I think @jriegel is lost in the big amount of new code too...
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

Jee-Bee wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:59 pm
abdullah wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:24 pm (unless somebody manages to get jriegel back ;) ).
I think @jriegel is lost in the big amount of new code too...
For the skills I have seen in his code, I do not think it would take him much time to "come back", should he decide to... but if you were trying to tease him, I can go along: "Sure he couldn't do it, not even if he wanted to" :mrgreen: :lol:
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Yeah. I agree.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

JeeBee wrote:Don't know if it is possible to split the hole branch up in 3 or 4 steps. so not everything change in one moment...
I also recommend to split the branch. I guess there is more motivation to review a smaller amount of diff...
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

looo wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:02 am
JeeBee wrote:Don't know if it is possible to split the hole branch up in 3 or 4 steps. so not everything change in one moment...
I also recommend to split the branch. I guess there is more motivation to review a smaller amount of diff...
That's going to be difficult. Although there are a few small features that can be easily split up, the main 'Link' feature requires a lot of changes. I originally splitted this into three set of patches. But with the first two big patch set, there is nothing to show for in FC. Only after the third one will there be the actual 'Link' command in toolbar. And it is still not very useful, for example, it can't be used in Part, Editing won't work. There are numerous bug fixes following my original Stage3 patches.

The way I see it, we can just try my branch with existing workbenches, and confirm that nothing is broken. If so, then it is a bug, and I'll fix it. If this can pass, I think it is an indication that the merge will at low risk. The new stuff can be broadly divided by two category, 'Link' and topo naming. 'Link' stuff is best tested with my Assembly3 WB. Topo naming is tested by a few cases in post, and I am sure there is someone willing to come up with more elaborated test cases.

wmayer wrote:ping
Hi wmayer, what do you think? Are you back yet?
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

wmayer wrote: ping
Pinging wmayer again. Don't know how to ping before. Shame on me.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Well the truth is you haven't updated the existent one or opened a new pull request just yet:

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/876

Therefore i guess that should be the next step.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:45 pm Is https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/876 obsolete ?
Yes, it is obsolete. This PR is based on my branch LinkStage1, and my current LinkStage3 is a descendant of this. But there are so many bug fixes after this, it is very difficult to split it again, and not to mention error prone.

triplus wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:31 pm Well the truth is you haven't updated the existent one or opened a new pull request just yet:

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/876

Therefore i guess that should be the next step.
That PR has 2.5K line changes, and can be considered a big one. The current change set is about 50K. I doubt github's PR facility is suitable for handling this, which is why I wrote documents and started this thread.

wmayer wrote: ping
Hi wmayer, still waiting for your response here.