Merging of my Link branch

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
easyw-fc
Veteran

Re: Merging of my Link branch

Post by easyw-fc »

+1
the merge will come, but it is just one FreeCAD :D
we could provide A3 builds on the GitHub FC download main page, to help people in finding A3.
wsteffe

Post by wsteffe »

for ubuntu users it would be nice if it were possible to install asm3 from a ppa
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

@realthunder Check https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30386 it the techdraw topic
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

Jee-Bee wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:42 pm @realthunder Check https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30386 it the techdraw topic
Thanks for the notification. New version release to fix the selection problem. See my reply for more details.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

New version released.

With this version, I am giving you all another good reason to merge, with the new topological naming feature.

This
Basic_TechDraw_Tutorial_orig.fcstd
(69.96 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
file is provided by @wandererfan for testing the TechDraw workbench. The model inside will break if recomputed using OCCT 7.3, which is the default version for Linux build. It works fine with OCCT 7.2, which is used in Windows and Mac build.

The reason of the break is because of the way various Pocketing sketch is drawn, as shown in the following screencast. The pocketing sketch align exactly to the edge of the base shape. OCCT 7.3 must have changed its internal algorithm of handling this type of boundary case, such that the mirror shape topology changes after recompute. The referenced external edge of Sketch001 (used in Pad001) changed from Edge7 to Edge10, and everything become haywire after that. And you will find it almost impossible to fix the shape without simply redraw all the sketches. I have observed a few of similar problems with OCCT 7.3, and I guess a lot of Linux user will complain about this when 0.18 is released. The screencast is recorded using my AppImage. You can try it in upstream 0.18 AppImage as well. After mark and recompute, you will get the same broken shape, but one bug in upstream will prevent you from further exploring the features.

Here is how my topological naming feature can save the day. I have a local build of my branch using OCCT 7.1 (you can try with my Win and Mac images). I open the original file, recompute it, and save as
Basic_TechDraw_Tutorial_mapped.fcstd
(86.55 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
, which now contains all the new topological names. Then, open this file using my AppImage, mark the whole document for recompute, and you will be able recompute all the shapes just fine, without any modification! You can double check the result that the mirror shape still changes topology, but the Sketch001 external geometry reference is now smart enough to auto change its reference as well.

And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
wsteffe

Post by wsteffe »

I am looking foreword to see the merging of the Link branch happen as soon as possible.
In my view the Assembly WB is a fundamental part of a modern 3D CAD.
Once it is shown (trough a proper set of tests) that the Link branch doesn't introduce any substantial regression
(and it also solves some issues affecting the master), I can not see any reason to delay this merge.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

To further clarify things up, this topological change is NOT a bug of OCCT 7.3. In fact, this can be considered as a fix of a bug of the older versions. You can verify this by modify the first Sketch in OCCT 7.2 build, from exact base shape alignment to a relaxed cut, as shown below. You'll see the same topological change in feature Mirrored, and in turn, subsequent model breaking. With OCCT 7.3, exact alignment and relaxed cut give you the same topology. But, apparently, this "fix" will cause backward compatibility issue.
Screenshot from 2018-08-23 07-35-06.png
Screenshot from 2018-08-23 07-35-06.png (3.61 KiB) Viewed 2826 times
Screenshot from 2018-08-23 07-35-40.png
Screenshot from 2018-08-23 07-35-40.png (4.15 KiB) Viewed 2826 times
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

In two weeks I am on vacation so that hopefully I will some time to go through this thread and look at realthunder's branch.
fosselius

Post by fosselius »

wmayer wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:08 pm In two weeks I am on vacation so that hopefully I will some time to go through this thread and look at realthunder's branch.
Do/did you get time to go through it?
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Not yet.