Docker Image for OpenCascade Development

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
abdullah
Veteran

Re: Docker Image for OpenCascade Development

Post by abdullah »

ezzieyguywuf wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:29 pm I actually don't use ubuntu so I'm not terribly familiar with it. thanks for the explanation.
If you are developing in Ubuntu, a very big recommendation is to use the PPA. ;)

The OCE, back in time, and the OCC nowadays that they provide is what I had and have in my system for development (just install the dev packages after adding the third-party repo). BTW, "they" is actually "us", somehow, as it is the folks of FreeCAD doing this packaging, so Normandc, sgrogan, Kurt...

They make me very happy to forget about having to compile/maintain OCC at all. :D :D :D :D

This is also what is used for the AppImage in realhunter's script.

P.S.: FreeCAD can use OCE and OCCT. I would say it is like couple of years that I do not use OCE anymore.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

ezzieyguywuf wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:29 pm I actually don't use ubuntu so I'm not terribly familiar with it.
That explains it then. I was a tad miffed because I've been a big proponent of the PPA for years here. ;)

abdullah wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:28 pm BTW, "they" is actually "us", somehow, as it is the folks of FreeCAD doing this packaging, so Normandc, sgrogan, Kurt...
And you can be sure that the new OCCT 7.3 packages made by Kurt are of much higher quality than mine! :)

Kurt mentioned he expressed his interest in being the official maintainer for the Debian FreeCAD package as well as other Debian related packages. This is great news for Debian and Ubuntu users alike, as it will trickle down into Ubuntu. Maybe as soon as Ubuntu 18.10 due next October!
ezzieyguywuf

Post by ezzieyguywuf »

NormandC wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:22 pm That explains it then. I was a tad miffed because I've been a big proponent of the PPA for years here. ;)
Sorry to offend! I used to use ubuntu way back in the day (like 2006-2007) but quickly became frustrated with its (in my opinion) 'bloat'. I use gentoo too. I'll do some more research on the ppa etc. as that should make my life easier :-P Is there a wiki page that outlines how to access this repository?

Edit: Also, FYI, opencascade moved to CMake as their build system a few versions ago. Since then, it's been actually quite painless to compile. It's as simple as installing a few dependencies (cmake, freetype, tcl, and tk are the main ones) and cmake does the rest.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

I guess if had checked the wiki for about 3 minutes you got you're answer :P

Ps: https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Install_on_Unix
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

ezzieyguywuf wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:37 pm FYI, opencascade moved to CMake as their build system a few versions ago. Since then, it's been actually quite painless to compile.
Obviously I know ;) , that's what allowed us to package OCC on the PPA rather than the aging and almost abandoned OCE. That, and gdo35's work on the first 7.0.0 package, as I don't think sgrogan and I could have done it on our own.

ezzieyguywuf wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:37 pm Is there a wiki page that outlines how to access this repository?
In addition to the freecad-stable and freecad-daily PPAs I mentioned, there is a separate OCC Releases PPA which I linked to in my very first reply here.

This page explains how to add the PPA to your software sources, under "Adding this PPA to your system".
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

NormandC wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:55 pm
ezzieyguywuf wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:37 pm Is there a wiki page that outlines how to access this repository?
In addition to the freecad-stable and freecad-daily PPAs I mentioned, there is a separate OCC Releases PPA which I linked to in my very first reply here.

This page explains how to add the PPA to your software sources, under "Adding this PPA to your system".
When I was working on this I noticed that the OCCT docs package was disabled. Any particular reason? I figure it might be nice to have that available.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I don't recall exactly, but I think it is because I figured most who used the PPA would be FreeCAD users who'll never need to know about OCCT docs. I may also have figured it'd bring the packaging complexity down. There may also have been concern about bloating the packages and exceeding storage limit... If you want to enable it back, go ahead! :)