Shape sharing and save-restore

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
realthunder
Veteran

Re: Merging of my Link branch

Post by realthunder »

tanderson69 wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:00 pm In regards to the pull request: The link you posted is for writing binary tools. Doesn't FreeCAD saves in the ascii format? Seems like 'BRepTools::Write' saves the triangulation.
You're right. I got confused with AutoSaver's code, which saves to binary form by default. I have amended the PR to correct this.

[/quote]
I have been pondering partial loading for a while. I have designed some pretty descent sized assemblies with less than 1 gig of ram, so I appreciate what it can do for you. I just feel that with every passing year, partial loading gets less and less important. I know! dangerous/lazy thinking. There will always be assemblies that won't fit into memory.
[/quote]It depends on the complexity of the part models. In most cases, assembly do not need the history of the part shape.

My implementation of partial loading relies on object's return value of canLoadPartial(). I can modify PropertyPartShape to check for that status and decide whether to save separately or as a big compound. I think I'll try that when I got time.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal