Release of 0.18

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sliptonic
Veteran

Re: Release of 0.18

Post by sliptonic »

What I meant was that I'd like to see the start examples represent a more curated and intentional set of reference examples instead of the hodge podge that it is now.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

sliptonic wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:50 pm What I meant was that I'd like to see the start examples represent a more curated and intentional set of reference examples instead of the hodge podge that it is now.
Agreed. I think FEM is close to this. bernd uses this extensively in the FEM forum. If a user has a problem, load the example and "do this, do that"
The challenge is to keep the examples up to date.
"fight the good fight"
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Moult wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:13 am So, uh. When does the homepage get updated?
See here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 60#p273650
Any help is appreciated.
"fight the good fight"
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

sgrogan wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:00 pm
sliptonic wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:50 pm What I meant was that I'd like to see the start examples represent a more curated and intentional set of reference examples instead of the hodge podge that it is now.
Agreed. I think FEM is close to this. bernd uses this extensively in the FEM forum. If a user has a problem, load the example and "do this, do that"
The challenge is to keep the examples up to date.
just the 3 FEM examples really help a lot in FEM forum. BTW I have started to extend the examples, but they will not be part of the StartWB but the FEM unit test cases. Thus they are twice helpful, once for the unit test, and once for the user to show something. There are a few examples allready. Check code at end of file https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... TestFem.py Since they are part of the unit test they have to be uptodate or the unit test will fail!
fosselius

Post by fosselius »

guess its time to read up on linkstage3 documentation:
LinkStage3 documentation is here:
https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD_ ... /wiki/Link
https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD_ ... re-Changes

thread:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=25712

Note: ASM3 is a python workbench that adds support for the solvespace solver.
LinkStage3 is the FreeCAD branch, ASM3 was initially created to show off the benifit of the core changes made in LinkStage3.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

I have uploaded a RC candidate for the Win x64 installer. https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases/tag/0.18
Testing welcome.
"fight the good fight"
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

I was able to download and install with no problems. Not much extra testing of the actual FreeCAD program, but it seems completely normal compared to the "pre" version.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16093 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-18
Hash: 690774c0effe4fd7b8d2b5e2fb2b8c8d145e21ce
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)

Gene
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

sgrogan wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:18 pm I have uploaded a RC candidate for the Win x64 installer. https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases/tag/0.18
Testing welcome.
Hi sgrogan,

I gave the release a try and have the following remarks:

- the installer requires admin permissions. But FC can also be installed without admin permissions. This is an important point because many users have no admin permissions but might use FC nevertheless. (For example I don't have admin permissions on my laptop.)

- the installer uses the old NSIS 2.5.x, you should use NSS 3.x because this has full Unicode support. This is important because users might to install FC in a folder with non-ASCII characters in the folder name

- when the installer is finished, it doesn't offert o run FC or to open at least the release notes.

I developed the rather complex Win installer for the program www.lyx.org and thus can help to create a proper NSIS 3 installer. Send me a private message if you like.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

uwestoehr wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:59 pm - the installer requires admin permissions. But FC can also be installed without admin permissions. This is an important point because many users have no admin permissions but might use FC nevertheless. (For example I don't have admin permissions on my laptop.)
I will provide a portable build for this use case, that has the MSVC redistributable included.
uwestoehr wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:59 pm - the installer uses the old NSIS 2.5.x, you should use NSS 3.x because this has full Unicode support. This is important because users might to install FC in a folder with non-ASCII characters in the folder name
I will look into updating my NSIS.
"fight the good fight"
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

triplus wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:27 pm As for signing the AppImage. @sgrogan you likely have a GPG (private/public) key somewhere? For Launchpad purposes and things like that? Signing the AppImage with it should be a rather straightforward process. As i assume you will create the FreeCAD 0.18 AppImage. If we would want to sign AppImages produced on Travis. We would likely need to create a new GPG key for this purposes and include it somehow in Travis build procedure. Likely both public and private key. It goes without saying, private key must stay private.

If i remember correctly @bblacey once offered to provide something like that. If it can be done in a rather secure way, having such key available, signing the AppImage should likely be possible after.
sgrogan wrote:
blacey wrote:
issue #3758 is still pending.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs