Release of 0.18

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: Release of 0.18

Post by jmaustpc »

NormandC wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:47 pm I guess they didn't get the memo about python 2 EOL. :lol:
:lol:
easyw-fc wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:09 am Fc0.18 cycle has been deeply used to test the py3 migration...

I see I am not the only one of this opinion! :)
kkremitzki wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:44 pm It's totally easy to change, I'd just need to swap the order of this line: https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/f ... ontrol#L70

but I figured defaulting to Python 2 was the more conservative option. If people feel it's best to do otherwise I'm fine with it.
Hi Kurt
I have to say that I don't have a good understanding of the issues relating to the code etc. so i may well be wrong. But in a general sense I think PY3 should be the default. In the same way that we did with "PartDesign next" and the "units" system where we were well aware that many "bits' were missing but it was time to push what was there into a release version and add point releases where bugs warranted it.

I think Yorik and Werner should decide.

Bye the way, can I just say that those two are my "FreeCAD Heroes"! Due to all they are and have done for so long!

Yorik is my wife's favourite because of Shakespeare "where for art though!" Poor Yorik has probably had to put up with people saying that his whole life! :)
My kids think Werner is my favourite because "he has that same first name as that scientist bloke who in the olden days built that Apollo Saturn 5 rocket that daddy is ALWAYS going on about". :)

My kids favourite is without any doubt Norm.....because have you seen how cute his cat avatar is? :)

Jim
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Python3 is what I would expect from a new release. We have told during the last year that a main goal for 0.18 was Python3 compatibility and now we make P2 the default? Please no. Everyone knows, that it is well possible after a release that some fixes have to be made.

Just my 2 cent, I'm happy with either default.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
roerich_64
Veteran

Post by roerich_64 »

+1 Python 3 :)
Die Liebe wird siegen, denn sie ist unzerstörbar :) ;)
Joel_graff
Veteran

Post by Joel_graff »

jmaustpc wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:24 pm Bye the way, can I just say that those two are my "FreeCAD Heroes"! Due to all they are and have done for so long!

Yorik is my wife's favourite because of Shakespeare "where for art though!" Poor Yorik has probably had to put up with people saying that his whole life! :)
My kids think Werner is my favourite because "he has that same first name as that scientist bloke who in the olden days built that Apollo Saturn 5 rocket that daddy is ALWAYS going on about". :)

My kids favourite is without any doubt Norm.....because have you seen how cute his cat avatar is? :)
You'd think the devs were rock stars or something ;)

As for the Python default, I know I'd rather see it as Py3. It will certainly break things, but by now, we should know what those things are, and if we don't, we need to find out. Besides, a lot of new users who download FreeCAD don't need to be using software that's going to be obsolete in 9 months. I'll bet most users don't regularly update FreeCAD, which means we're going to see more and more complaints in the forums because they're based on 2.7 code that we're breaking.or no longer supporting.
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

A 0.18 build for the stable PPA has just been uploaded for Ubuntu 16.04 and will be available in about 2 hours. So now, 16.04/18.04/18.10/19.04 are ready. I don't think 14.04 will work so we can just advise to try it out with snaps while they prepare to migrate from their soon-to-be EOL systems.

Soon I am going to trigger a rebuild for all aforementioned Ubuntu systems which:
* changes default to Python 3
* applies a patch for FEM linked above which should eventually be in a 0.18.1 release

Once that's done, I think we can consider Ubuntu releases done too, which leaves the Windows and Mac releases blocking a general release announcement--what's their status?
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

kkremitzki wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:10 pm which leaves the Windows and Mac releases blocking a general release announcement--what's their status?
For Win we have https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases/tag/0.18 I think this RC will be the official installer.
For OSX we have https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... g/0.18_pre, we could use this as the release, its ahead of the release tag, but it will all work out with 0.18.1
We need to do something for the AppImage. The PPA based one needs 14.04, the Conda one needs looo.

When we do it, someone must do the homepage.
"fight the good fight"
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

sgrogan wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:52 pm We need to do something for the AppImage. The PPA based one needs 14.04, the Conda one needs looo.
For consistency with other binaries, AppImage should be Py3/Qt5, so that means using the Conda one, whenever looo can do it.

sgrogan wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:52 pm When we do it, someone must do the homepage.
I've been thinking about the website's download page, IMO there is too much emphasis on the AppImage, so people download it without being aware there are other choices: PPA (by far the best choice for Ubuntu IMNSHO), FlatHub, snapcraft. It's not explicitly mentioned in the Notes for GNU/Linux users either, which in any case are not visible by default on a 1080 display, one needs to scroll down and I'd bet that not many do.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

kkremitzki wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:10 pm 14.04 will work so we can just advise to try it out with snaps while they prepare to migrate from their soon-to-be EOL systems.
Since apart from Internet access, Ubuntu is free, perhaps its best to encourage them to just upgrade their os.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I have abandoned 14.04 when the 0.17 daily didn't run anymore. So I'm not sure if 0.18 will run now.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

I'm fine with disregarding 14.04, plenty of other Ubuntu versions to worry about already.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.