Release of 0.18

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
abdullah
Veteran

Re: Release of 0.18

Post by abdullah »

Santa is coming folks... we have a good excuse to release 0.18... :D
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

How about minor cleaning in Preferences:
- Sketcher: Constraint Creation "Continue Mode" is well tested and should no longer be named experimental.
- General: same for VBO mode.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

chrisb wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:01 pm How about minor cleaning in Preferences:
- Sketcher: Constraint Creation "Continue Mode" is well tested and should no longer be named experimental.
- General: same for VBO mode.
I am not sure what the crowding status towards, but wouldn't this require that all the translators redo these changes?

Changing it takes 1 minute. Just trying not to create work for others.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

We recently had discussions here about generating additional work for the translators. However things like these were not the objective, but rather small changes in some english templates of the wiki making hundreds if not more translated pages invalid. Here the docs should follow sooner or later anyway. If they don't it's no harm at all.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

chrisb wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:32 pm We recently had discussions here about generating additional work for the translators. However things like these were not the objective, but rather small changes in some english templates of the wiki making hundreds if not more translated pages invalid. Here the docs should follow sooner or later anyway. If they don't it's no harm at all.
I am referring to the localization of the application. So the string that appears in German or in French. If I remove the Experimental, I fear that the translators of the application will have to work extra. If you tell me it is not a problem, I change it ;)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I will change the german translation, but we should wait for Normand and Renato to weigh in. They have better insight and are the main translators.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

There were text strings (menus mostly) that were not available for translation on Crowdin. I wrote three reports about it yesterday: issue #3732, issue #3733 and issue #3734. Werner just committed the fixes. Thanks Werner!

So in any case, strings for translation will have to be uploaded again to Crowdin, unless Yorik decides otherwise. I would prefer that they'd be updated for the 0.18 release.

@abdullah thanks for tackling those issues!

In regard to translatable menus, there is something I'm wondering about. Most workbenches add one or more menus. Many of these menus are translatable (and they should be), but some are not. For example, the Part menu gets translated; but the Part Design menu does not. I'm pretty sure it used to be. I wonder why it stopped?
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

NormandC wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:37 pm So in any case, strings for translation will have to be uploaded again to Crowdin, unless Yorik decides otherwise. I would prefer that they'd be updated for the 0.18 release.
Okay let's do it. In any case, only a few of the translations will reach absolute 100%... And for the ones that are, certainly there will be people there to fix the few new sentences in the next days.

Tell me when I should update the crowdin stuff.

I'll try to fix my remaining bugs this week too
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

You all are welcome.

Experimentals removed.

PR:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/1849

Remaining "experimental" strings in: a) "place a robot" (Robot WB) and b) Calculix FEM solver (FEM WB)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thanks!
What a high quality we have can be seen from this commit. We have reached a state where we can discuss such minor things smoothing the application.

(I have to confess that there are other places where more has to be done :) )