Release of 0.18

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
uwestoehr
Veteran

Re: Release of 0.18

Post by uwestoehr »

sgrogan wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:00 pm I will provide a portable build for this use case, that has the MSVC redistributable included.
You misunderstood me. Every user can install a program. Compared to a portable version this has the advantage that the file extensions are registered. So when double-clicking on a *.FCStd file, FC will open it.
To install only for the current users one just has to write into HKCU instead of HKLM. Therefore most installers have an option where you can say "install for all users" (NSIS supports this of course). If yes, the registry part HKLM will be used -> admin permissions are required and all users of the PC will get these settings. If no the program is only installed to HKCU. This has the advantage that no admin permissions are necessary and that other users are not bothered with the program.
For example my working laptop is used by different persons. Why should my colleagues see FC if they don't construct? So installing only for the current user can be very useful.
Mark Szlazak

Post by Mark Szlazak »

Sorry about the ignorance but I am getting the following in my FreeCAD Daily Python Console:
Python 2.7.15rc1 (default, Nov 12 2018, 14:31:15)
[GCC 7.3.0] on linux2
Type 'help', 'copyright', 'credits' or 'license' for more information.
>>>
Souldn't Python 3.X be the default installation?
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Mark Szlazak wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:00 pm Sorry about the ignorance but I am getting the following in my FreeCAD Daily Python Console:
[GCC 7.3.0] on linux2
>>>
No, the packaging coordination is being discussed here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 94#p294894

In short, if you want a Python 3 package, Debian Testing/Debian Unstable currently supprts side-by-side installation, but even there Python 3 is not default, you have to sudo apt install freecad freecad-python3 and then run sudo update-alternatives --config freecad and select the freecad-python3 option.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:59 pm issue #3758 is still pending.
Yes, @triplus has offered to help me with this but we have to get the packages that the AppImages are based on working first.
"fight the good fight"
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

uwestoehr wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:41 pm You misunderstood me. Every user can install a program.
The issue is that the FreeCAD installer runs the msvc redistributable installer that always requires admin.
https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forum ... vclanguage
We use method 3 of the approved answer to get around this for the "daily" builds.

I think for an intalled version the user should be able to install the redist independent of FreeCAD. Maybe @ wmayer has some thoughts?

I'm installing NSIS 3.04 now.
"fight the good fight"
Mark Szlazak

Post by Mark Szlazak »

kkremitzki wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:34 pm
Mark Szlazak wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:00 pm Sorry about the ignorance but I am getting the following in my FreeCAD Daily Python Console:
[GCC 7.3.0] on linux2
>>>
No, the packaging coordination is being discussed here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 94#p294894

In short, if you want a Python 3 package, Debian Testing/Debian Unstable currently supprts side-by-side installation, but even there Python 3 is not default, you have to sudo apt install freecad freecad-python3 and then run sudo update-alternatives --config freecad and select the freecad-python3 option.
Sorry but i do not understand what you are writing.
Isn't Python 3 suppose to be the default for FreeCAD 0.18 or not?
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Mark Szlazak wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:24 pm Sorry but i do not understand what you are writing.
Isn't Python 3 suppose to be the default for FreeCAD 0.18 or not?
It will depend on platform.
It seems your using the daily PPA. If so it's PY2. Consider this the end of the 0.18-dev cycle. The code matches the 0.18 release/stable.
At
kkremitzki wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:34 pm No, the packaging coordination is being discussed here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 94#p294894
NormandC is packaging 0.18 for the stable PPA. Here PY2/PY3 should be available for >= Ubuntu 18.04. I agree that PY3 should be the default vs what is in Debian. Maybe join us in the other thread.

I will also create a Win Coordination thread to discuss the Win installer specifics.
"fight the good fight"
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

sgrogan wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:37 pm The issue is that the FreeCAD installer runs the msvc redistributable installer that always requires admin.
I think for an installed version the user should be able to install the redist independent of FreeCAD. Maybe @ wmayer has some thoughts?
We should not mix things up. If a user is not admin, the IT admins usually take care of such essential things like a MSVC runtime.
So when installing FC, the installer can check if MSVC runtime is installed, if not and if the user doesn't have admin permissions, it distributes the DLLs with FC. This is how I do it in the installer for LyX.
If you don't like this solution, then check if MSVC runtime is available, if not and the user has no admin permissions tell him that an admin must install the MSVC runtime separately. This is in my opinion unnecessarily complicated but in any case better than to leave non-admin users without FreeCAD.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

uwestoehr wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:02 pm We should not mix things up
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 59#p294959
"fight the good fight"
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

sgrogan wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:50 pm NormandC is packaging 0.18 for the stable PPA. Here PY2/PY3 should be available for >= Ubuntu 18.04.
Trying to anyway. Not approaching the goal for now.