Release of 0.18

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
abdullah
Veteran

Re: Release of 0.18

Post by abdullah »

wmayer wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:30 pm
abdullah wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:40 pm I am not really thinking on producing such a kind of redoing the file filters work-around for something that works wrong between QT and GTK, that does not go wrong between QT and Plasma. It is one step too far in my opinion.

I would love to be able to detect in runtime that GTK is being used, so as to allow native support for Plasma, but I have not found an answer to this question yet...
What gives

Code: Select all

echo $QT_PLATFORM_PLUGIN
echo $QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME
echo $QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE
?
Only one is set:
>> echo $QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME
appmenu-qt5
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

On Ubuntu 14.04 where I have installed XFCE I got the same output as you. On Lubuntu 18.04 with lxqt as desktop I got something more usable. QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE is set to gtkstyle and the others to lxqt (IIRC).
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

There have always been a lot of problems with qt trying to "support" gtk or vice-versa.. As long as I am using linux :roll:
Werner's latest fix seems to work fine for me... One small detail (but it was the case even before), is that if you don't specify the extension when saving a file, linux adds .fcstd instead of .FCStd like on windows. But it's just a cosmetic annoyance, they are both treated equally everywhere.

My $QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME is gtk2, and qt5 apps look quite good. I've never really been able to use/configure any other (gtk3, fusion, lxqt...)

BTW, the GL_RGB32F_ARB -> GL_RGBA32F_ARB only fixes the icon creation, not the Tools->Save Image... which apparently uses a different mechanism ( https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... y.cpp#L699 ). I wonder if there is a specific reason?
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

wmayer wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:08 pm On Ubuntu 14.04 where I have installed XFCE I got the same output as you. On Lubuntu 18.04 with lxqt as desktop I got something more usable. QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE is set to gtkstyle and the others to lxqt (IIRC).
The future of graphical interfaces or when usability depends on environment variables... :?
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

yorik wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:25 pm There have always been a lot of problems with qt trying to "support" gtk or vice-versa.. As long as I am using linux :roll:
Werner's latest fix seems to work fine for me... One small detail (but it was the case even before), is that if you don't specify the extension when saving a file, linux adds .fcstd instead of .FCStd like on windows. But it's just a cosmetic annoyance, they are both treated equally everywhere.
With the flag not use native dialogs everything works fine. It was also in my PR. The question was whether we could "not merge it" and use the QT_DIALOG cmake flag instead. This did not work for me.

What I thought is that just checking the QT version, as in the Werner's commit, would also prevent Windows from using the native dialog, which it was reported to work fine.

With certain combinations (I cannot test at the moment), a problem was that when opening a file, many types with lowcaps would appear, like jpg, but not "fcstd".
yorik wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:25 pm BTW, the GL_RGB32F_ARB -> GL_RGBA32F_ARB only fixes the icon creation, not the Tools->Save Image... which apparently uses a different mechanism ( https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... y.cpp#L699 ). I wonder if there is a specific reason?
Apparently GL_RGB32F_ARB works for Werner:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull ... -442479975

I think I have to buy a new magic wand and cast some spells on my metacity environment :lol:
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

There is no guarantee end user uses Dolphin in KDE. ;) Therefore as for the strategy. How hard would it be to change the choice from compile to runtime option (parameter)? By default you get the QT File dialog on Linux. And as for the rest it's up to the end user. I could imagine some end users would still opt-in to using native file dialog.

P.S. Mentioned issues would still likely get reported after. "I enabled native file dialog option and file extension is gone on Ubuntu". Fix it. :|
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

triplus wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:17 am There is no guarantee end user uses Dolphin in KDE. ;) Therefore as for the strategy. How hard would it be to change the choice from compile to runtime option (parameter)? By default you get the QT File dialog on Linux. And as for the rest it's up to the end user. I could imagine some end users would still opt-in to using native file dialog.

P.S. Mentioned issues would still likely get reported after. "I enabled native file dialog option and file extension is gone on Ubuntu". Fix it. :|
Yes, the runtime option makes most sense and gives the user full control of what he prefers. git commit 426bc0118 adds this parameter and its default value is handled by the cmake option so that users don't have to change anything.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

It is December... something missing? ;)
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

From my point of view:

- File dialog problem is solved, thanks Abdullah and Werner. Still minor annoyance (but that is there since ever), when saving a new file on linux, the automatic added extension is .fcstd and not .FCStd. But that's a minor thing to see another time.
- I still don't get file thumbnails on linux, unless I apply the GL_RGB32F_ARB -> GL_RGBA32F_ARB fix.
- Tools -> Save picture... still doesn't work for me (no image produced, no error). It seems however to use a different mechanism than the above.
- I'm using py3/qt5-compiled FreeCAD quite intensively these days (but mostly Arch/Draft/Part). Everything seems pretty stable now.
- State of the translations: 33 languages over 50%, from which 19 over 90%. That's not such a good score yet, in 0.17 we had 35 languages over 50%. Norwegian, slovak, korean are the ones mostly falling behind (see below)
- Wiki seems more or less okay for the release to me, but we need some work on the Release notes 0.18 page, with more screenshots. I'll have a look at Draft & Arch sections
- We should build a list of tracker issues to be solved for 0.18, if any. *EDIT* for me: issue #3389, issue #2304, issue #3403, issue #3590

Crowdin stats:

Code: Select all

Afrikaans : 30%
Arabic : 52%
Armenian : 7%
Azerbaijani : 5%
Basque : 97%
Bosnian : 1%
Bulgarian : 19%
Catalan : 92%
Chinese Simplified : 95%
Chinese Traditional : 61%
Croatian : 85%
Czech : 79%
Danish : 19%
Dutch : 59%
English : 64%
Esperanto : 10%
Estonian : 38%
Filipino : 90%
Finnish : 53%
French : 100%
Galician : 100%
German : 100%
Greek : 96%
Hebrew : 11%
Hindi : 0%
Hungarian : 100%
Indonesian : 89%
Italian : 99%
Japanese : 96%
Kabyle : 53%
Korean : 39%
Lithuanian : 59%
Malay : 8%
Norwegian : 31%
Persian : 23%
Polish : 96%
Portuguese : 97%
Portuguese, Brazilian : 96%
Romanian : 100%
Russian : 98%
Serbian (Cyrillic) : 41%
Slovak : 35%
Slovenian : 81%
Spanish : 100%
Spanish, Colombia : 7%
Spanish, Venezuela : 0%
Swedish : 59%
Tamil : 2%
Thai : 15%
Turkish : 100%
Ukrainian : 64%
Urdu (Pakistan) : 1%
Valencian : 87%
Vietnamese : 96%
Yoruba : 1%
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

We need to push new translations to crowdin. I haven't been able to do this correctly. I still don't understand if pushing translations in to crowdin undoes work that the translators have done. In other FOSS projects I see they push new translations back and forth constantly between translators and the their trunk/master. At some point we will get this process automated (I can see this happening very soon actually).
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs